Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can Ignition Switch Blow Dash Lights Fuse? + Headlight Issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Can Ignition Switch Blow Dash Lights Fuse? + Headlight Issue Reply with quote

I have two electrical problems going on.

Problem One:
When my headlight switch is turned on, the fuse for the dash lights blows. It's that 10A fuse at the tippy top of the fuse panel. Last year sometime was the first time it blew. I replaced the fuse and went on my mary way. Didn't blow again until this past spring. I replaced it again and got a couple of weeks out of it until it blew again. Now it blows every time I turn on the switch.

Problem Two:
Recently, my headlights started going out randomly. When it happens, I can pull the lever for the brights, and I get bright lights as long as I continue to hold the lever. After doing some searching on The Samba, I used info from various posts to do some troubleshooting.

My first assumption was that the headlight switch was bad. The reostat had been acting odd as well, so I replaced the switch. Didn't fix it. Both problems are still happening.

I had been wanting to get my headlights onto relays, so I included those in the order with my headlight switch. They are now installed, too. Did nothing for my problem, though (didn't expect that it would).

Did a little more reading on The Samba, and based on Ben's great post about the ignition switch, I did a little more troubleshooting. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375383

I discovered that if I give the key just the tiniest little nudge beyond "run" toward "start", my lights come on. Basically, just a slight wiggle of the key in the ignition and all is good. My conclusion: a new ignition switch is needed. I'll go ahead and get that ordered up.

But my question (finally) is: Could the ignition switch also be what's causing the dash lights fuse to blow? If so, I'll just sit tight until my part gets here. But, if there's no way the ignition switch can cause a short that would blow that particular fuse, then I would like to continue looking for that problem while waiting on the new ignition switch to arrive.

If it's more likely that these are two very separate problems, then do you have any advice on tracking down the short for my dash lights? I've tracked most of the blue/gray wires and can't seem to locate any suspicious areas. Can the foil on the actual cluster cause a short?

Thanks in advance!!

Justin
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS a Vanagon, so I suppose anything's possible...??? Rolling Eyes
(sorry - I'm no help)

Good call on the IgSwitch.
If no one chimes in, let's hope that takes care of everything.

Either way, post your results for everyone's future reference.

Good luck!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the new ignition switch in. While replacing it, I realized that none of the blue/grey wires that are in the dash circuit run through the ignition switch.

So, the good news: my headlights are working great now. I no longer have to wiggle the ignition switch for them to stay on. One problem fixed.

The bad news: the search will continue for answers about why the fuse for the dash lights keeps blowing. I guess I'll work on trying to track down a short somewhere.

I'll keep you posted.
Bilstein Shocks
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a bare blue/gray wire behind the radio that had come disconnected. Put it back where it belonged and all is good now.
Bilstein Shocks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: