Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1968 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

ultralite wrote:
Are y’all still planning around the world?

Love seeing these Busses restored....

Yes. Exact route is yet to be determined. Laughing

We plan to start in US this fall. Tentatively plan to explore up north in Canada and Alaska in Summer 2019, and who knows after that. I have ambition to go south (Tierra Del Feugo), but we might go east (Europe) first, after we explore North America for a couple years.

I plan to continue working for a few more years, so we can't be "disconnected" for long stretches right away (my job requires internet connectivity). This could limit our ability to go to more undeveloped regions for the first few years. What we know for sure is, we're going to move into the bus this fall (before the snow returns) and head south.

Of course, as soon as we pull away, any plans are out the window Rolling Eyes

My 1968 Campmobile
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Guess what I did after work yesterday...

I drove my bus! Dancing

I parked it at the end of 2001. It was snowing already, so it had to be November or December.

After 16.5ish years, and 6 rides on a Uhaul auto transport, she has been revived. Cool

Everytime I think about it, I keep breaking into a goofy grin. Very Happy

I didn't really remember just how much fun it is to drive her. I love sitting over the wheel, that horizontalish steering wheel that feels so good in my hands, and of course that big bay window view. It's like falling in love with her all over again. Embarassed

There are a few people I need to thank for getting me to this point.
First, my wife for agreeing to spend the $$. Wink
Then Cory (cdennisg) for putting me in touch with Adam.
And of course, Adam. He's a great guy and a fantastic mechanic.

Adam still needs to build the wheels to go around the disc brakes, but other than that, she is mechanically ready "to drive around the world", or at least as ready as any '68 bus can be. Razz

I'm pretty eager to start on the rest of the work, but she still isn't legal to drive yet. ssshhhh, don't tell anyone that Adam and I have test drove her around the block. hehe

As I said earlier, I want to register her on my birthday, April 20, but I don't want to buy two of the $25 3 day permits. I wasn't going to pick her up from Adam's until 4/17, but now I'm not sure I can wait that long. Laughing

I planned to take a shot of her on the road, but I left my phone in the 4runner and then forgot while I was talking to Adam about all the stuff done and left to do.

My 1968 Campmobile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

NICE! I got mine running & realized how much I loved my '72 highroof I sold in '91, great job getting it on the road again.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:

Everytime I think about it, I keep breaking into a goofy grin. Very Happy

I didn't really remember just how much fun it is to drive her. I love sitting over the wheel, that horizontalish steering wheel that feels so good in my hands, and of course that big bay window view. It's like falling in love with her all over again. Embarassed

Amen brother! I love driving, have owned a variety of vehicles, but to me there's NOTHING like driving my Bus!

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

My package from Columbia arrived this morning Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:

Wow, too cool, usually the drug puppies intercept those before they get to you.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Hikelite wrote:

Wow, too cool, usually the drug puppies intercept those before they get to you.

I guess the Funky Green Panels are made of sheet metal after all Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Finally have an update Sambanistas will like, ie one with pictures. Wink

I got my baby registered last week. Since I live in Washington, but wanted to keep my California plates, that meant one thing.... road trip!!!! Cool

My bus was first registered on 12/26/1967. I always liked that she was someone's Christmas gift. Sadly, that date was lost when the CA DMV purged my plate from their system.

The good news is, she is now my birthday present. Her new date is 4/20/2018.
She also had her body type designation changed from HSCR (Housecar) to MH (Motorhome). I think that may offer an insurance advantage when we start the grand adventure. I found my old registration and pink slip, so that made things a little easier I think.

My FIL (father in law) went with me, and we realized something interesting...
only in a 50+ year old vehicle would you say something like 'the car ran great except for problem 1, problem 2, and problem 3' Rolling Eyes

The bus did run great. We did 1500+ miles in 3 days. I don't recommend it. 400 a day seems to be a good limit.

The 1904 motor accelerated up nearly every grade, and never required me to downshift except on one hill where I had to slow for a section with lots of turns and it couldn't accelerate in 4th gear.

We did have a few issues along the way...
The starter took a crap on day 1 at the first gas station. I tried it every time we restarted, but I think it only worked 4 times the whole trip. We learned to park on a hill. Gas stations are flat, so they were more difficult, but there was always someone around to help give us a push.

The electrical part of the ignition switch has a broken spring, so it was a suspect. When I got home, I bypassed it to hot wire the bus, but it's not the switch. I'll do more troubleshooting tonight.

Then there was the issue with the tail lights blowing a fuse. While the bus was sitting in Flagstaff, AZ, someone stole my license plate light. The replacement part (cip1) was grounding against the body. I was able to use my FIL's candy wrapper to insulate it so we had running lights. I put some electrical tape on it when I got home.

The issue that was most annoying, yes even more than the bad starter, was the idle. While my engine is not new, it does have brand new Weber 40 IDFs. We noticed the idle was getting higher and higher. I eventually figured out that it is the linkage binding up or something at the bottom of it's range. If I went to the back and gave a little tug, the idle would drop right back down to normal. The return spring seemed able to get it most of the way back when I let is snap back, so I started 'smacking' the gas pedal whenever I needed to idle. Usually I could get it to return to a mostly normal idle with a couple smacks. It was real annoying when maneuvering around a parking lot. Either it sounded like the engine was racing or it sounded like I liked to rev my engine when I tried to get the idle to return to normal.

So other than that, she ran flawlessly.

Here is the route we took. The route was chosen based on some requirements:
I needed to go to a CA DMV on Friday for my birthday.
I wanted to go to Roseburg to get a splash pan.
We had hotel rooms booked in Klamath Falls on Thursday and Redmond, OR on Saturday.
Avoid Interstate Highways.
I wanted to do a loop
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We had to drive on I-5 for a little while to get from Yreka to Roseburg, but we took a side route from Medford to Canyonville to skip some of the Interstate. It was certainly slower, but a much more pleasant drive.

We made it to CA on day 1, and then turn back north to reach our hotel room in Klamath Falls.

Day 2 took us near Mt Shasta as we headed to the DMV in Yreka, CA.

Later that day, we saw this cool building (for sale) between Roseburg and Bend.

If you are ever traveling along the Columbia River, I highly recommend Hwy 14 vs I-84. Especially in a Bus. If you choose to take my advice you can stop at this hang glider launch spot with a great view of the dam.

After I get the starter working, Adam is going to look at the carb linkage problem. It also lost a lot of oil on the trip (~3 qts). I did see a small spot each morning in the hotel, but it didn't seem big enough to account for all of it. The steering also seemed to have more play than I expected given I replaced every part.

I'm very happy with how the bus did. I'm excited to go on more trips with her. Next time, no hotels. :p

I also changed my mind about painting her blue. She is white. Always has been and I don't think I'm gonna change it. It's pretty amazing how familiar she felt after all these years. If I changed her color, she wouldn't feel like my bus anymore. Razz

last item... I noticed something weird inside the drivers door. Anyone know what that stuff is? I'm referring to the stuff that looks like some sort of goo pushed through holes. Is it body filler? It doesn't look like a repair has been made there.

My 1968 Campmobile
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Congrats on the trip and registration.
The goop is body filler pushed through the body puller holes during a dent repair.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Hah, VW camper registered on 4-20.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you're keeping it white. I should have kept my original color, but oh well. In my defense I had a bit of body work to complete, so most of my color wouldn't have been original anyway.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Congrats on the trip and registration.
The goop is body filler pushed through the body puller holes during a dent repair.

Are you sure? That's what I assumed, but I can't see any evidence of damage there. The sheet metal between the holes is perfectly flat. The outside looks perfect (I realize that was the point and doesn't say much).

I've seen the inside of a repair that used a puller a couple times. It never looked that perfect.

Spike0180 wrote:
Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you're keeping it white. I should have kept my original color, but oh well. In my defense I had a bit of body work to complete, so most of my color wouldn't have been original anyway.

Mine isn't the original color. It was resprayed before I bought it in the 90's.
I'm starting to flip flop on the color again anyway. I'm not going to try and "decide" until I am closer to possibly painting the bus Laughing
I've realized that the color I am familiar with her having is not her 'true' color, so I'm now considering blue again. The original white, as seen inside, is pretty different from the new color. The Pearl White will look weird to me anyway, so I might as well get used to a color I choose. We'll see. I have thousands of other details to concern myself with for now. Razz

My 1968 Campmobile
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

I saw on another thread that you were looking at upgrading to a Wagenswest disc kit. Did you end up doing that? If so, how'd it go?

How was summer with the bus? Congrats on bringing it back to life!
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1968 Campmobile Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
I saw on another thread that you were looking at upgrading to a Wagenswest disc kit. Did you end up doing that? If so, how'd it go?

How was summer with the bus? Congrats on bringing it back to life!

Yes. I did install the Babystang kit from WagensWest. https://www.wagenswest.com/product/babystang-63-70-bus-front-disc-brakes/

The bus drives wonderful. Other than the long trip down to CA to get the registration in April, she hasn't been driven a lot. I drove her around Spokane a little before I moved her up to Colville. I drive her around Colville about 3 times a month now.

Colville is very rural. There are a LOT of deer, aka 'forest rats', so dusk is a dangerous time to drive. On one of my Wednesday drives in the bus after work, ie dusk, one of the rats ran into the road in front of me.

What do I think about the WagenWest kit? Worth every penny. Cool

I was busy with my houses (rentals are our retirement vehicle) this summer, so I never got to take the bus camping. The plan was for me to spend my free time working on it all Summer, but we had a lot of projects for our properties I had to tend to.

We're not going to head out this fall obviously. I am now living back in Colville as of the first of this month, so at least me, the bus, and a shop are all on the same half acre. Razz

My next project is getting heat into the shop, so I can work on the bus this winter. Wink

I have some thoughts of trying to squeeze in one little camping trip before the white stuff gets here, but the reason I'm back in Colville involves my renter getting himself arrested. He had taken on roommates without permission as well, so I have all that fun stuff to deal with. Rolling Eyes

Huh... maybe all this stress is an argument for why I NEED to make the time for a camping trip in the bus.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: