Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waterpump shot in Atlanta (Roswell)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Harrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Waterpump shot in Atlanta (Roswell) Reply with quote

My '91 carat's low coolant blinker started to go off after sitting in construction traffic for about 20 min. It had been a few months and about 6000 miles since I had ironed out any previous coolant loss issues.
I dropped in a little over a quart of coolant that I had left, and things seemed fine for another 40 miles or so ( I let her run for a few min trying to see if I could see if coolant was leaking from anywhere... Nope). After a little more driving, I heard a belt screach, and the temp needle started going a little higher than normal. I kept an eye on it And it would drop to normal ever few min and then creep back up to just above the led... Managed to get her to where we're staying before the needle went higher and the blinker came on.. Coolant was pouring out just after i parked.. I opened her up and there was a cloud of spray... It was dark, and with a flashlight, it looked like the coolant was coming from the water pump... The pulley also looked a little crooked too...

Does anyone in the greater Atlanta area know where I can get a water pump for a 2.1 on a Sunday? (I figure this is unlikely) I will probably end up leaving the van and coming back to get it next weekend. (I live about an hour away in Athens, ga) Unless someone on here has a suggestion for a local mechanic where I can tow it.

I posted this message before doing a search. That's my next move. Feel free to let me know if you know anyone local to me.
Thanks,
Dave
bdkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

This is Brian with the other white '91 in Athens. Sorry to hear about the water pump problems. Loosing coolant without the leak could be the inner seals leaking into the cylinder chamber. Unfortunately not an easy fix. The spray and large leak from around the water pump sounds like either a broken coolant line or possibly the pump seal. I've got a spare water pump back in Athens if you want to take it down to use and try to get it back. PM me or give a shout and let me know if you need any help.

Brian
706-202-0798
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill a hole in the underside of your pressure cap and see if that makes your rig more driveable.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What!?! Two other Vanagons in Atlanta!?! That makes three of us.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new Hepu here in Decatur. Sorry I did not see this till Monday.

Make that four of us Vanagon guys here in Atlanta.

Sounds like it may be one of your coolant hoses down "thar" on or near the water-pump. When the pumps fail, they leak coolant rather than a fountain of coolant.

Hoses will be more dramatic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a leak that appears to be coming from the middle of the water pump spindle, ie where the flywheel goes into the housing. coolant is leaking out of there and is being thrown everywhere (in a very nice line) by the flywheel and the belt. i did recently tighten the belt, maybe overdid it and jacked my water pump because it is making some unhappy noises. the belt had way too much play before (new about 3k miles ago, stretched some) and after i tightened it, it still had SOME play...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Drill a hole in the underside of your pressure cap and see if that makes your rig more driveable.

My cap is out of spec by just a couple psi and needs to be replaced, but while it's in the mail i'd like to try your suggestion. where do you drill, on the flat of the plastic part (ie about 1/2 inch from the center)?

Thanks-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U only drill thru the flat metal disc,only, to the center,around 1/16", test by being able to blow both ways. Make sure hose conn to ov'flo tank are tight. With belt off and u spin pump by the pully and it is noisy or if there is play by moving pully up/dn/in-out it is BAD.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that sounds about right. good call on checking the pump manually, i'll give it a shot with the expectation of it leaking without even having any serious pressure in the system...

thank you-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: