Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Injector Spray Pattern Video
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injector Spray Pattern Video Reply with quote

Hi all.

If you FF to 1:00 this video appears to show what are likely healthy injector spray patterns. All 4 shown shortly after that.

If these aren't healthy spray patterns, please advise.

Some interesting stuff on youtube on fuel injectors. Lots of different spray patterns for all the different engines.

I understood basically how our injectors work, but I found it helpful to see actual footage of WBX spray patterns. Given that I was shooting fuel into a pan, as a newb to the process, my pattern check was kind of a rushed nervous affair; my mind was more on safety than watching the patterns. (add to that my helper left van in gear, then cranked engine Rolling Eyes ) I will check again. Though Bentley says "cone shaped" and shows a dotted outline of the pattern, I found seeing footage of the spray pattern really helpful. In hindsight, my spray patterns may not have been as "misty".

If anyone has videos of the WBX injector spray pattern, maybe post?

Thanks

Neil.

Link

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks familiar...from Digifant II injectors. There was a question I had with respect to the Bosch injector o-ring kit (call them left over parts) which was pretty easy to resolve with a quick test. The question was what to do with the orange cap: http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/products/935/Bosch_Digifant_Injector_Seal_Kit

Putting the cap on an injector and testing, it was easy to see it did not belong on my injectors. The pattern was limited, and served up large droplets to boot. I also found the PO had omitted the grey spacer ring, (spaces the o-ring back on the injector) which resulted in 4 leaking vacuum leaks at the injector after a few years of use.

If you have 3-4 that are equal, likely the pattern is correct. The fuel should be well atomized and spray patterns consistent.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I saw a set of videos on older Porsche FI cleaning/rebuilding. It showed the "hat".

AFAIK , the FI's in the video I link doesn't show that hat. Smile

My spray pattern check was a little "rushed" but IIRC, though each FI patterns was the same, patterns may have been more droplet-like than mist.

Grey spacer ring?

Or was this for the Digi II on your swap?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...digi II. The stock injector I believe has a plastic shroud (blue)...I'm not sure as my injectors were missing this blue shroud. From pics, it looks like this plastic shroud locates the o-ring and supports the lower part of the injector. Remove this and the o-ring can migrate on the injector body about 7mm. The grey spacer ring in that kit supports the injector (with shroud removed), and prevents the 0-ring from moving anywhere.

Brought the bits to the local VW dealer..their mechanic wasn't 100% how the parts should work. That said, it made perfect sense to me during re-assembly. Just glad I checked the patterns with the "pintel" cap affixed first.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzyaY7QY6...jFnVoFYF4Q

The grey bit was required in my setup as the injector's lower shroud was either removed...or never there in the first place. Mechanically, the grey spacer replicates the support function of the pintel cap...which in my case severaly messes with the spray pattern.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Denwood!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: