Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skills, you da man. I ducked out of the convo, but have kept my peepers peeled for those juicy wild westerner photos. MMM! Apfel ist gut, ja!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registrant #1

m-plate

32 197 719
964350 d32 027 162 508
19 3 7324 ua 2211 41

197719 production of 1973

resto-modded, functionally restored condition-road worthy. Origionally 7 passenger station wagon with black vinyl seats, no headrests, rear smokers windows.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Saint76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I register if I just have the slider?? Very Happy

My daughter wants to use it as her headboard..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint76 wrote:

If anyone ever hit that bus broad side at an intersection, there is no way in hell they could tell the judge "I never saw him!".
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I just don t believe a single dealer had then painted these colors. Hopefully someone will come forward that can provide documented evidence of the origin. In any event they are different breed and should be keep alive. These wild westerners must ride again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hondaslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
I just don t believe a single dealer had then painted these colors. Hopefully someone will come forward that can provide documented evidence of the origin. In any event they are different breed and should be keep alive. These wild westerners must ride again.

Last post of page 1

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Buscuss wrote:
secretsub,
I believe the Wild Westerner designation was coined by a dealer, it isn't official VW. Doesn't matter what they are called, though I don't get the western connection from the paint job, do you?

you believe wrong

That said, it could be an inidividual importer of VW and not a VWoA trim.

Ernie Bach (Subaru importer for New England states) has done several SoNE trim options and paint colors that Subaru of America did not offer.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint76 wrote:

No points are awarded until westerner content achieves greater than 50%!

Smile Rules of this game will change as I dream up more.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

To be a card carrying member your bus must have had an original paint scheme for the wild westerner. However, as long as you maintain The Colors on the slider we can offer you an associate membership. The Wild Westerners must ride again!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone sanded through the WW paint to see what was underneath? Are they resprays? I can't imagine them doing the ship ride in primer only to be finish painted here. And then a complete bus stripped down to the shell to be painted and reassembled makes no sense. Not practical and way to costly. Seems like a factory custom order paint seems more reasonable and the only real deal. What's under the window seals and in the hidden spots?

Here's a vote for VWoA doing a special limited quantity custom order from the factory. Now who is going to find out what VWoA's theme and WW name was all about when they speced it out?

Last edited by Desertbusman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Buses By the Bridge in 2011 with my Wild Westerner and I had three people that lived in Havasu tell me they were originally from Spokane and remembered these buses from Expo 74. One lady told me the city buses were painted the same colors. They were all very excited about seeing this bus. I posted this picture that shows an original bumper sticker I found on ebay after getting this bus, I think the color match is about perfect. I have looked online and have not found any official documentation linking the buses to Expo 74.
I will post my M plate info in the next day or so.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Seems like a factory custom order paint seems more reasonable and the only real deal. What's under the window seals and in the hidden spots?

in case you missed it....IT WAS A 75.00 FACTORY OPTION

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:

I was at Buses By the Bridge in 2011 with my Wild Westerner and I had three people that lived in Havasu tell me they were originally from Spokane and remembered these buses from Expo 74. One lady told me the city buses were painted the same colors. They were all very excited about seeing this bus. I posted this picture that shows an original bumper sticker I found on ebay after getting this bus, I think the color match is about perfect. I have looked online and have not found any official documentation linking the buses to Expo 74.

Cool story, but I have to think that if they were intended to be allied with Expo 74, the bus would be blue, green, and white. There were indeed several of these buses around Spokane at the time, and from what I understand, several were used for transporting VIP's around town. I think the color semi-coordination was merely coincidental. There is nothing in any of the history written about Expo 74 that mentions an alliance with VW, or a special ordered fleet of special color matched VW buses to be used for that time period.

My wife's family has lived in or around Spokane for a couple of generations. I will ask a few of them if they would know someone to ask directly about this that might have a definitive answer. Meanwhile, does anyone know someone that worked for VWoA back then that might know anything about this package?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
in case you missed it....IT WAS A 75.00 FACTORY OPTION

Laughing Laughing Yea you're right. I didn't really miss it but somehow got lost between VW and VWoA. Embarassed
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Cool story, but I have to think that if they were intended to be allied with Expo 74, the bus would be blue, green, and white. There were indeed several of these buses around Spokane at the time, and from what I understand, several were used for transporting VIP's around town. I think the color semi-coordination was merely coincidental. There is nothing in any of the history written about Expo 74 that mentions an alliance with VW, or a special ordered fleet of special color matched VW buses to be used for that time period.

My wife's family has lived in or around Spokane for a couple of generations. I will ask a few of them if they would know someone to ask directly about this that might have a definitive answer. Meanwhile, does anyone know someone that worked for VWoA back then that might know anything about this package?

It'll be interesting to hear what they say, the green and blue certainly jive with the Expo logo, the yellow may have been a departure to distinguish it from a common 2 tone bus or possibly a premptive strike that went wrong, I wonder what early Expo 74 advertising and media releases looked like?, maybe there was more yellow involved? Or maybe since the yellow was a standard color for 73-75 maybe the marketing types had to bend over a little to accomodate what was already in the tanks at the paint line?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors were never used in any bus other than the westerner. The closest to the apple green is bali yellow that was used in 74. Bali yellow is alot duller but close to apple. The busses are through and through stock painted. I can't imagine someone going to these extremes to convert their bus into a rolling freekshow.

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Great opportunity to buy a wild westerner at a good price. I found one for sale on craigslist Monterey (Salinas, Ca) Simply not cost effective at this point for me to purchase due to the fact i live in SC. If anyone purchases this bus please contact me. We are trying to locate as many of the Wild Westerners as possible and maintain a locator directory .

---------------------
SOB- Save our buses !
The Wild Westerners must ride again !

Last edited by Bill Sullivan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Bus Depots new color scheme.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Reply with quote

Thanks to desertbusman ... I have contacted Volkswagen Auto Museum in Wolfsburg Germany. For $50 you can receive a certificate of history for your vehicle. You must provide make. model, serial number and if you wish to know that you have the original engine then you need to provide the engine number. Hopefully this will answer all the unknowns abt the Wild Westerners. It may take several weeks to get the certificate.

In the mean time, we are still trying to locate any and all Wild Westerners even if the exteriors have been repainted to a different color. Please post any you find. Tks Bill

-------------------
Lets keep those buses alive !
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you find what you are after Bill.

Although it's VW of America that might have info on the Wild Westerners. Germany made them but evidently is was a special build for the U.S market only. And it probably would have been VWoA that did the special marketing program for the WW's. There were special edition bugs here in the U.S. also. There probably would have been special marketing sales literature on the special Wild Westerner edition. Museum archives is where old literature and records about it might be found. That's what museums are for. Every once in a while the VWoA museum gets talked about and I know a couple people that went there. I think it was while they were on the Gene Berg Memorial Cruise. It had vehicles there but it should also have old historic records and literature regarding VW of America.
Here was a thread about the museum.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1899496&highlight=vwoa+museum#1899496
Also Samba search VWoA + museum for more info and there is at least one Samba member that worked there. Evidently the museum has recently moved to Virginia along with the VWoA headquarters.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

(my bus has always been red Laughing )
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:

Do you have a better pic of the sticker? What does it say?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 169

Jump to: