Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Well, I'm responsible for reporting out the VIN of the Cedar Falls, Iowa one. The owner is a teacher at a neighborhood school and he drives it to work sometimes.
It was sitting in the rear of the VW dealer service area one evening and I cruised by an got out and looked at it, glancing quickly at the VIN and memorizing the last 6 digits. I was accosted by someone from the dealer, and they don't really like it, but it's cute and they agreed. So a couple minutes peeking in the windows and walking around, they were cool with.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill, glad to hear you're not giving up on the hunt.

I dropped mine off at a real vw mechanic last Friday to have him tune up the engine that was swapped in plus check the brakes and any safety issues that need attention. He already did the tune up, fixed the brakes, removed the rats nest that somehow left fuzzy stuff inside the spark plug hole(s), and did some wiring repairs to the engine. Next he's fixing the mess of wires hanging from under the dash and has ordered some new mirrors, door handles and a foam seal for the engine. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be rolling in my bus ready to get it tagged. And if CA doesn't want me I guess I'll be going the Vermont route.

Can someone tell me the width of the blue stripe?

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
Bill, glad to hear you're not giving up on the hunt.

I dropped mine off at a real vw mechanic last Friday to have him tune up the engine that was swapped in plus check the brakes and any safety issues that need attention. He already did the tune up, fixed the brakes, removed the rats nest that somehow left fuzzy stuff inside the spark plug hole(s), and did some wiring repairs to the engine. Next he's fixing the mess of wires hanging from under the dash and has ordered some new mirrors, door handles and a foam seal for the engine. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be rolling in my bus ready to get it tagged. And if CA doesn't want me I guess I'll be going the Vermont route.

Can someone tell me the width of the blue stripe?

Good plan re the rat's nest. Now we have cheap mini-usb borescopes for your smart phone, it would be good to do pretty good inspection for more debris. It has roasted many a long stored motor.
I've heard Vermont is the current best way.
I'm in Iowa. They have a bonded title procedure. Not sure if it works for out of state. Keep us posted.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

It is going to be a few days before I will be near my sons Wild Westerner can someone posts the measurements of the blue stripe for Rixie

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)

Last edited by Bill Sullivan on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
ordered some new mirrors

Better have him read this. So he don't strip the nut out in the door.
Mounting side view mirrors
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6952202#6952202

Good luck
Tcash
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Alan, thanks for the info.

Bill, thanks to google search I was able to find the measurement on page 64 of this thread.

Tcash, thanks for that link. Glad I opted to have someone with 40 yrs experience working on these beasts do the install rather than trying to do it myself.

Now onto the search for a turn signal switch.

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hello Folks ....

I just this morning was talking to a former Wild Westerner owner that stated he was in the Bahamas a few years ago and saw a double cab Wild Westerner. He stopped and looked at it closely and states it looked to be factory. He was not aware of the 736 paint code for verification.

If anyone happens to travel there please keep your eyes open and report back if you see it.

Thanks

Time to batten down the hatches for here comes Irma..

Question of the day.

Why are most hurricanes named after women .....

Answer:

Becos when they come they are wet and wild and when they leave they take your house and your car Cool

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

A factory double cab WW would be amazing!

Probably even cooler than a highroof camper WW.

Hopefully it hasn't been blown into the ocean.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Hello Folks ....

I just this morning was talking to a former Wild Westerner owner that stated he was in the Bahamas a few years ago and saw a double cab Wild Westerner. He stopped and looked at it closely and states it looked to be factory. He was not aware of the 736 paint code for verification.

If anyone happens to travel there please keep your eyes open and report back if you see it.

Thanks

Time to batten down the hatches for here comes Irma..

Question of the day.

Why are most hurricanes named after women .....

Answer:

Becos when they come they are wet and wild and when they leave they take your house and your car Cool

Did they say where they saw the WW? I have relatives on pretty much all the main islands.

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Couldn't remember which island but he said he could ask his son ...maybe I can get that info for you.

vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Just spotted in Facebook for sale.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

>Click< to see my stuff for sale
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I'm not a face book follower... Could you make contact and lets get it registered if it is already not registered. You could mention I am still offering free club decals that may enhance the sale

And the band plays on.

The66er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Selling My wild Westerner here on the samba if anyone is interested in a low priced Wild Westerner that runs Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2099312/Users/adamoliver/Desktop/7584214.jpg
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

The66er wrote:
Selling My wild Westerner here on the samba if anyone is interested in a low priced Wild Westerner that runs Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2099312/Users/adamoliver/Desktop/7584214.jpg

I still have Wild Westerner Club Decals available for free including postage. You will need to send me a private message with serial number and a address to mail them to.
Decals can be seen on page 115 of this forum about half way down the page.

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

IN other news:

Dateline/// Wild Westerner ///

Just this week I was contacted by a new Wild Westerner Owner in Texas. He has a Barn find of twenty years. This is not the same one listed on face book reported by VWLuvers becos the pictures I received showed a WW with white wheels.

People listen up ... We need to get these certified and logged on our new master list on page 114 . So I am asking for you gals and guys whom report finds to contact the owners and lets get them in the system.

I am offering free Club Decals .

Collie also is keeping a registry and hats off to him for he does not even own a Wild Westerner YET.

Thanks again for all owners and contributors for there help.

Until we meet again.. Peace In or Peace Out... Whatever ur ting is.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

They're nice stickers! I've got mine on my Bus!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:

Collie also is keeping a registry and hats off to him for he does not even own a Wild Westerner YET

I am also (albeit slowly) working on the unofficial website....I am trying to find a way so that I do not have to do all the editing Smile

We will reveal that soon....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Well another Wild Westerner has surfaced in California. I have requested serial numbers for the Texas and the Cali WW in order to send Club Stickers.

In order to not run out of Club Certification Decals I must limit 2 per Wild Westerner. If for some reason you have a window replaced then possibly I could send an additional decal.

Out of some 60 ish known Wild Westerners I think I have only had a half dozen request decals ???? Gee people this will only increase the value of your WW and it is free...

It appears that the fever of owning a Wild Westerner is spreading ...
I Salute all The Women and Men whom have helped in this forum to recognize this Special Edition and help save them from extinction.

It plum tickles me shitless . Dancing

1973SFWild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hello from San Francisco. It was a tiring day yesterday, but helped a buddy get his 1973 Bus out of a garage. It sat for four years and it’s a real Wild Western, automatic transmission. The rear brakes were frozen , but it fired up after a jump. More later.

r
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

OMG....an automatic. I so happy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 116 of 169

Jump to: