Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Has anyone converted a VW Bus to electric ?
If so what would be the cons.

There was a guy in Hawai'i who was selling his electric kit for a bay window, but it was for a single cab.

I believe the main problem you will have is where to store the batteries. The nice thing about the single cab was that the storage compartment under the bed is deal for that. Too bad VW never made a Wild Westerner truck! Razz
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

This one's a a split bus, but converting a bay won't be much different... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685542&highlight=electric
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Another. It's a blend of many things about the bus, but the conversion details are there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539140&highlight=electric
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

That would be the cat's ass to have an electric bus... It doesn't sound as if easily done, however as mentioned I plan to travel via an RV beginning early 2018 and if anyone wants to try one let me know for I'm game to help.

My daughter wants a Wild Westerner with an automatic transmission and they are hard to find so this may be the answer.

Word for the day...

Keep the little one between the ditches and the big one in your britches.

Get my drift, Hollywierdos ..

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Check out this sweet cooler I was given last weekend! It is like it was made to go in a Westerner!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Noticed your tag as well April 73 Dammit Man...

Also looked at e-volts.com it appears they have kits for beetles only.

Using a Telsa drivetrain I think would be a difficult and costly retrofit . If we could come up with a reasonably priced conversion I feel many within our group as well as other Transporter owners would convert'.

" Club Electric" would be born and the theme, long hair, bell bottom pants, disco lights and music.

Run tell that !

Seriously, anyone having any experience and or background in electric conversions let me know. I'm on the hunt for another Wild Westerner and would like to try going Electric/Green .

Happy Halloween ....

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I ran to the mall real quick (I hate the mall, but that is the only place there is a real, live bookstore in town anymore so it was an in and out thing) and when I headed back to the Bus, I saw a couple guys heading toward it. They asked if it was mine and if I minded them taking a couple pics.

I agreed, so the one guy stood by the Bus, and as the other took the pics, he commented that they were going to be the coolest senior pics ever!

I suppose an electric Wild Westerner would be the ultimate "green" vehicle, wouldn't it?!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Check out this sweet cooler I was given last weekend! It is like it was made to go in a Westerner!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's perfect! Is that a recently made item, or an old one?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

It's pretty old. I'll have to examine it to see if there are any markings as far as manufacture date or anything on it.

Besides a few scratches/wear marks, it is in nice shape other than the plastic insert (that makes up the inside of the cooler) is broken/chipped in the front left corner. You can kind of see it in the photo.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
O'tay Buckwheat..

So Ms Rixesride have you had the opportunity to drive you Bus ?
FYI to everyone Ms Rixes was the first to locate and buy a Wild Westerner just after this forum started.

I'm sure some one in our group has the expertise to come up with a good motur and bat-tree combination that could convert these critters to electric.

I think it would be wicked looking to cover the top in solar panels...

Anywho

Peace Out

I did get to drive him a few laps around the storage facility when I got him off the trailer. I did notice a thumping noise coming from the passenger side rear area. I was told by the mechanic at the shop that I will need axles, shocks and ball joints replaced next but I opted to wait on that since I was already at the 2k mark and didnt want to spend another 2k until I knew this engine was going to run.

I've been working out of town for the past three weeks so i haven't had the chance to do anything except start him up and run him around the facility. I did take him for a run down to the gas station today. Started right up and drove so nice.

I don't like the Beetle steering wheel so that has to go.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill, I have just been on perusing a link someone posted on our local Aircooled clubs Facebook page & there is a Wild Westerner:

https://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/beachbuggin-vw-show-2017-part-4-of-4.html

I don't know if its the UK one or a second one (or even if its genuine) but the author of the blog may be able to help with tracing the owner.

HTH Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Cool I see the owner knows what he has and is aware of our club but I cannot tell if that is dumptruckface who wrote the article or not. It will take much reading to go back in the forum and try and match the dents to see if that is the one he owns. My gut feeling is that it is dumptruckface's Wild Westerner, hopefully he will come forward and reveal his identity.

Thanks for the tip ....

And Ms Rixesride hopefully I will be mobile in a couple of months and when I hit the West Coast I will be glad to give you a hand with your WW. I'm not much of a mechanic but a damn good parts replacerrrr.

For those of you who are just tuning in, I still have free WW certification Decals for your WW's . Look back to page 114 I think to see a decal then I will need an address and serial number to mail the decals to you.

Gooday Mates Razz

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I received an email a few weeks ago stating the Wild Westerner we listed with the stenciling in the Blue stripe has been sold. It was in Delaware however the new owner has not provided a new location therefore I cannot update the listing .

Enjoy your Holiday Season and please include your pets.

Quoting the Famous words of the Roadrunner. (Beep Beep)

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Bill, I have just been on perusing a link someone posted on our local Aircooled clubs Facebook page & there is a Wild Westerner:

https://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/beachbuggin-vw-show-2017-part-4-of-4.html

I don't know if its the UK one or a second one (or even if its genuine) but the author of the blog may be able to help with tracing the owner.

HTH Smile

Is it true that only 200 WWs were made? And only in one month?

I guess we could examine all the manufacture dates...

I wish VW had kept all their manufacturing information, so that we could inquire of a database things like numbers of buses. For example, I am keen to know how many 9-seat WWs were made, but I have no way of knowing.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

From what I can tell they were all made in two months (April and May)of 1973. As you can see at the bottom I have the production date listed and this information is available on the M-code plate located behind the drivers seat on the short metal wall. As to how many were made I would Love to know however without counting I think we are up to abt 70ish.

Remember guys after you reach the age of 12, you can no longer play poke e manm. (or womanm)_

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

HTH Smile

Is it true that only 200 WWs were made? And only in one month?

I guess we could examine all the manufacture dates...

I wish VW had kept all their manufacturing information, so that we could inquire of a database things like numbers of buses. For example, I am keen to know how many 9-seat WWs were made, but I have no way of knowing.

To be honest, I don't know a lot about the Wild Westerners, I would love one myself I think they look great Smile

It would be nice to have all of the information to hand, wouldn't it!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has a specific number of Wild Westerners manufactured becos Volkswagen, or least the Volkswagen people we contacted have not acknowledge they were ever made.

We had levied a high export tariff in order to keep these critters in the states however, due to the fact you seem to be a nice guy and feel you would take care of The Wild Westerner as good as you would your children we possibly would waive the tariff in this case.

In regards to there date of manufacture (Birthdate) I feel that would be cool to add this information to each entry on the master list. I will work on this.

I will adjourn to the bar to contemplate another loss to the fleet stateside and eat, drink and hunt for Merry (mary).

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

With the addition (finally!) of a BA6 heater under my beast's belly, I believe that I will have the warmest Westerner this winter!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690730

It took some futzing around with wiring and other nonsense, but I was able to get it to run correctly (or at least, nearly correctly-I may not have complete heat control but it definitely works on high) yesterday.

Now I'm going to complete my "rust stopping where it's at" project before I get back to driving it.

Essentially, acid-treating the current rust, painting the floor with Master Series chassis paint, and hosing down the underside with Fluid Film. I'm hopeful that with all this I will stop or or very significantly slow the rust's progression until I get to a point in life where I can do a correct restoration with welding in new metal.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I have no experience with those heaters but to me heaters in a vans have always been a problem. It sure would be nice if someone could take used heat exchangers and wrap them in stainless.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and gals in 2018.

Peace to all.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I have a BN4 in my Thing and even with no top or windows, it is wonderful to have hot air blowing toward me on a cool morning.

And it was wonderful to have to take off my jacket and overalls while working inside the Bus because it was so warm in there!

I think if all the controls are in place and functional, the heaters are fine. Problems happen when people work around the safety features or never maintain them.

If we have a cool-weather meet-up, I'll be all set! Smile

By the way, I do live in the middle of the country. Just saying.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 118 of 169

Jump to: