Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Rob R wrote:

I was at Buses By the Bridge in 2011 with my Wild Westerner and I had three people that lived in Havasu tell me they were originally from Spokane and remembered these buses from Expo 74. One lady told me the city buses were painted the same colors. They were all very excited about seeing this bus. I posted this picture that shows an original bumper sticker I found on ebay after getting this bus, I think the color match is about perfect. I have looked online and have not found any official documentation linking the buses to Expo 74.
I will post my M plate info in the next day or so.

Do you have a better pic of the sticker? What does it say?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/worlds-fair-expo-74-tickets-bumper-98893229
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors in the sticker represent earth, air, and water. Not earth, water, and apples. I'm sorry, but this color combo of buses had nothing to do with Expo 74. I am curious why they were made, though.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Anyone needing the paint codes for the Wild Westerner I have them. Just send me a private email... Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Reply with quote

Talked to the VW of America Headquarters in Herdon Va. this morning. They tell me they purge all records after 10 years.

So does anyone live near the VW Museum In Va that would be willing to visit and talk to the folks at the museum in regards to the Wild Westerner?

Also Can anyone in Spokane do any digging maybe at a museum ?

Thanks in Advance for you Help. Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

We are currently seeking any documentation why The Wild Westerner Appearance was created. At this point we think it had a connection with the Spokane Worlds fair in 1974. Anyone how to with any knowledge of how to verify this please email me.

Also we are starting a registry to record all Wild Westerner Owners, Please pass this info to any Wild Westerners owners you may know.

email questions, comments to [email protected]

Finally, if you see any Wild Westerners around for sale or in scrap yards, or just sitting please forward any contact info to me.
We must keep these buses alive ! The Wild Westerners Must Ride Again !!!
------------------------
If you are not Air Cooled then ur jus not Kool ...
Thanks Bill
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Spokane over the weekend, at my mo-in-law's house. While I did not get the chance to talk to her about Expo 74 (she attended) I did find a book in a pile of stuff that was all about Expo 74. Nowhere, in any photos or in the credits of sponsorships for the Expo, does it say or show anything about VW, Wild Westerners, or any connection thereto.

I am 99.9 % sure that the connection to Expo '74 is a coincidental myth.

BTW, Bill, I got your PM. I will be in touch when I return from my trip.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Contest

Currently we are designing tee shirts and stickers to motivate the The Wild Westerner Owners to save these buses. Many of you are helping in the search for the reason this edition was produced and it is greatly appreciated.

Anyone who can unravel this mystery with some kind of documentation will receive a tee shirt and decal shipped free of charge to there residents.

-----------------------------------
If you are not air cooled then ur jus not Kool !

Bill

Hey Rob.... Nice Job...Looks good...
If you want a birth certificate on your bus go to automuseum. volkswagen
click on link on left marked certificates. Costs $50.00 and will take 4 weeks to get from Germany.

Last edited by Bill Sullivan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not hung up on the Expo 74 connection but I hope we can still call them Wild Westerners. I don't want to change my Plate

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I was in Spokane over the weekend, at my mo-in-law's house. While I did not get the chance to talk to her about Expo 74 (she attended) I did find a book in a pile of stuff that was all about Expo 74. Nowhere, in any photos or in the credits of sponsorships for the Expo, does it say or show anything about VW, Wild Westerners, or any connection thereto.

I am 99.9 % sure that the connection to Expo '74 is a coincidental myth.

BTW, Bill, I got your PM. I will be in touch when I return from my trip.

------------------------
Just a thought, maybe Volkswagen in an attempt to boost sales painted these buses to coincide with the worlds fair thus starting the rumor of being painted for the worlds fair.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice license plate! Will Smith was awesome in that movie. Razz Twisted Evil Laughing

As for your advertisment campaign theory, Bill....
It's a possibility - sounds like a conspiracy!!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I remember from tenth grade American history class that those shades of green and blue were all the rage in 1890's Victorian America. Everyone wanted to look like an Easter egg in the wild west! :2gunfire:
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
I'm not hung up on the Expo 74 connection but I hope we can still call them Wild Westerners. I don't want to change my Plate

your plates are safe, thats the propper terminology for that bus per vw.

now if only done dealer info would surface like sales brochures or production numbers we could make alot of folks happy.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this was pretty cool.

Found it on rossvw.com

Jeff
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffsbugs wrote:

Found it on rossvw.com

Jeff

Thanks for the post, but it was already posted on page one of this thread. Wink
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
jeffsbugs wrote:

Found it on rossvw.com

Jeff

Thanks for the post, but it was already posted on page one of this thread. Wink

Ya, I just saw that. sorry.

Jeff
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Update I have contacted the automuseam.volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Ger many. I have ordered a birth certificate for my Wild Westerner in addition have asked for help in solving the mystery of the origin of this special edition. The birth certificate will take 4 weeks as soon as I receive any response to the origin requests I will post it for everyone.

================
The Wild Westerners Must Ride Again !!!
-----------------------------
Remember everyone needs to register their Wild Westerner.
email you name address and tele # as well as the serial to:
[email protected]

Tks Bill
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Update I have contacted the automuseam.volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Ger many. I have ordered a birth certificate for my Wild Westerner in addition have asked for help in solving the mystery of the origin of this special edition. The birth certificate will take 4 weeks as soon as I receive any response to the origin requests I will post it for everyone.

================
[email protected]

Tks Bill

If we solve the mystery before you get your info, do we still win? Very Happy
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Update I have contacted the automuseam.volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Germany. I have ordered a birth certificate for my Wild Westerner in addition have asked for help in solving the mystery of the origin of this special edition. The birth certificate will take 4 weeks as soon as I receive any response to the origin requests I will post it for everyone.

================
[email protected]

Tks Bill

If we solve the mystery before you get your info, do we still win? Very Happy

Yes absolutely, not sure the automuseum can help becos Volkswagen USA was no help !

It appears several Wild Westerners migrated to Utah so far 3 people participating in this forum have either provided pictures or dialog in the where abts of this Special Edition Buses. Great Job !!! Lets find all of them and register the production numbers.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Reply with quote

The mystery deepens... Volkswagen USA purges there records after 10 years..And i received an email this morning from the automuseum.volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Germany stating they have nothing in their archives in regards to The Wild Westerner...

Does anyone possibly have a relative that worked for Volkswagen here in the US or in Germany that can unravel the mystery of the origin of this special edition?

Wow i just can't believe no one knows !

At this point, my theory is that Volkswagen attempted to associate The Wild Westerners with The Spokane Words Fair by using these colors for the purpose of increased sales. However, for some reason will not acknowledge this now. Hopefully, someone will step forward and correct me if I'm off base.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 169

Jump to: