Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
That sounds like fun. Imagine all that green!

And, I just got good original heat back into JellyBean over the weekend. So, this WW is now a mechanically fully functional running bus! Running great on the original dual carbs, even.

Now all it needs is some welding, and a full interior upholstery redo. And a windshield. Well, and all new window rubber, to be honest. And the horn needs fixing, as well as the original AM Sapphire radio. And a couple of light switches need some service. And the interior lights need to get worked on. But then...

Then it will be FINE!

Anyone need a rolling restoration project?

Nice! You're almost there!

Mine needs a small bit of welding, a new windshield and full interior. My window rubbers are great-unfortunately I cracked the windshield when installing the rubber! Doh!

I can't decide what I want to do with the interior. I go back and forth on just going to the factory black basketweave, or blue plaid as seen in Westys, or just the other day I was considering something real custom with green and blue seat covers.

I really, really like the Retrosound radios I've installed in my Buses. A little spendy compared to some radio from WalMart, but it works well and fits the Bus well.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I think a 50th Birthday Bash would be awesome!

But, would anyone be interested in a 45th Birthday pre-party? You know, to whet the appetite for everyone and encourage them to get to work on getting ready to go for the big 5-0!

Since there are several in the PNW still, I'm in Kansas, jtauxe is in New Mexico, this morning while lifting and thinking about Wild Westerners, Utah came to mind. (And I believe there is a WW in SLC and maybe one in Idaho without checking the list.)

It is sort of in the middle-ish of a lot of us and there 5 National Parks and lots of state parks.

Could just get together for a Wild West-Westerner campout for a weekend at one of the parks. Would be a lot of fun!

I believe I drove past this place in 2004 in my '78 and recall that the water was beautiful.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/jordanelle/

Bill, since you don't currently own a Westerner, fly to Manhattan and ride out with me!

Maybe in June before it starts getting hot?

Thoughts?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Why Hell Yes if it a party I'm goin...

Also, we need to put together a list of Wild Westerners that have been reported in fields, scarp yards on the side of mountains that need to be investigated for possible purchase. We have many looking for Wild Westerners and would have them road ready by 2023.
I think there is one still at Lake Ellisor that has a funky framework on the back. that one would be a good candidate for a rolling billboard. I would mention if anyone runs with that idea please make your billboard small enough so you can go to drive in restaurants. I imagine we will be taking over many eating and drinking establishments while on the loose.

Put something together and lets do it.

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Why Hell Yes if it a party I'm goin...

Also, we need to put together a list of Wild Westerners that have been reported in fields, scarp yards on the side of mountains that need to be investigated for possible purchase. We have many looking for Wild Westerners and would have them road ready by 2023.
Put something together and lets do it.

I will put myself up for tribute to fix one of these field/scrapyard beauties Laughing .
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

surfbus23
I was able to make contact with the WW for sale in Boise.
The owner sent me the m-code and address and his decals are in the mail.
To me that asking price is reasonable for the body looks good and all it would need is a exterior repaint.

67ctbug
There was a Wild Westerner rolling chassis for sale in Beaver Pa in early 2013 that was an automatic. Collie made an unsuccessful attempt abt a year ago to contact the owner. The owner was samba member 69busboy if you want to try again. The bus came from a junk yard in Texas with no title.

A cool theme for our celebration would have some dress in bellbottom leisure suits. It won't work for fat people so i'm out.

VWRESTOMODMAN would be an excellent contact to help with busses or parts from Lake Ellisor.

If anyone East of the Mississippi needs any parts I know of a place abt 85 miles from me that has 8 or so Type 2 buses and several early 60 beetles.

Peace Out...

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Cool Bill, I'll see about contacting him and seeing how much it is. And yes... Leisure suits would be awesome! Maybe in westy plaid or mustard cloth for '73.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Another Wild Westerner. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/one-of-kind-1973-vw-bus-type-2/6455408009.html

Not sure if you want these links or not or if there is a better place to send them. Just let me know.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Thank you Surfbus23
Does anyone wish to make an offer before I contact the seller abt registering it as a Wild Westerner ?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Oh man! Another high-roof WW! I love it!

Unfortunately I do not have $6000 to spend on a third bus. So I can't make an offer on it at this time.

But I really, really do love those Safari WWs.

I think everyone should keep posting these ads here when they see them.

I like seeing them and dreaming, but I also print them out to save for just in case I need them for insurance purposes. Goodness I hope I never need to do that though!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Yeah. If I'd known about the Wild Westerner before I bought my bus...

How much worse is the mileage on a high top?
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Another Wild Westerner. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/one-of-kind-1973-vw-bus-type-2/6455408009.html

Not sure if you want these links or not or if there is a better place to send them. Just let me know.

The owner has a thread about this bus. I guess he decided what to do with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692490
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

coolerthanelvis wrote:
surfbus23 wrote:

The owner has a thread about this bus. I guess he decided what to do with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692490

Hey everyone!

I am NOT decided yet as to which way I want to go. I love my what I know now as a Westerner. I posted on Samba to see what all the knowledgeable people heres opinion was on potential value and cost of restoration (I spoke w a couple places in person earlier in the day yesterday about cost to restore), and other thoughts I had about keeping vs selling. I only posted the CL ad (in conjunction w Samba post) to see what kind of interest there was, and any correlating value as it sits currently. So, in the end, just gathering information about restoring and selling, restoring and keeping, or leaving it as is and driving until who knows when. I like the option so far of keeping and doing some sort of sand blast or using one of the products that covers rust and painting myself....we shall see!Smile
Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I would not even pay $600 for that one. Too far gone to even be worth your efforts. Of course if it had 23 windows I would.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I would pay $600... these Wild Westerners are a rare breed.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

In my book no Wild Westerner is too far gone.

In fact, if I could get the one Anycolorulike had in Mexico wrecked on both ends I would make a modified form of a Wild Westerner.

If the owner is willing to spend the time it can be saved . (mostly Labor)

Our organization is dedicated to the preservation of these critters .

Modify as you wish just keep the exterior colors because that is the only difference between a Wild Westerner and any other 73 bus.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

I'd pay more that $600. Maybe 5 times $600= $3000. but not $6000.
I'm pretty happy with less than perfect. But not keen on HORRIBLE, either. It DOES seem like the rust is top side rust. Not sure about window openings, but those are often the first to go on sea side vehicles.
But one thing about RESTORING a WW- The wild westerner option is simply a paint code. If you paint it a different color it is nothing special any longer. If it has new paint.. what is it? Not original! So, an original paint or part original paint WW is a little more of a WW.
So, I would value any original paint, especially if repairs could be made to blend it in.
BTW, do we know what brand camper conversion? Safare? Can we tell anything about the interior? It seems to be intact.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

On the leisure suit idea...

How about leisure suits with a Ravenna Green jacket, Apple Green bell-bottom pants, and a wiiide Olympic Blue belt?

Or maybe a jump suit in those colors. And pant suits for the ladies.

I can see it now... and I like it!

On another topic -- for those of you who have replaced your window rubber -- these (or at least mine) came with the fancy metal trim strip embedded in the rubber. What is your experience in replacing that strip?

My metal strips are too far gone, though all the clips to join the ends are in good shape.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
On the leisure suit idea...

How about leisure suits with a Ravenna Green jacket, Apple Green bell-bottom pants, and a wiiide Olympic Blue belt?

Or maybe a jump suit in those colors. And pant suits for the ladies.

I can see it now... and I like it!

On another topic -- for those of you who have replaced your window rubber -- these (or at least mine) came with the fancy metal trim strip embedded in the rubber. What is your experience in replacing that strip?

My metal strips are too far gone, though all the clips to join the ends are in good shape.

Find the fabric and I'll see what I can do... among other stuff, I'm a bit of a tailor. Just make sure the fabric is cheap enough to test with, no $10 a yard stuff.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
In my book no Wild Westerner is too far gone.

In fact, if I could get the one Anycolorulike had in Mexico wrecked on both ends I would make a modified form of a Wild Westerner.

If the owner is willing to spend the time it can be saved . (mostly Labor)

Our organization is dedicated to the preservation of these critters .

Modify as you wish just keep the exterior colors because that is the only difference between a Wild Westerner and any other 73 bus.

I would definitely welcome crashed car as a chalenge. I've got some experience at metal bumping and pulling on a frame machine. I can often get some dents out and have only minimal paint damage. then just spot it in.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

I'd pay more that $600. Maybe 5 times $600= $3000. but not $6000.
I'm pretty happy with less than perfect. But not keen on HORRIBLE, either. It DOES seem like the rust is top side rust. Not sure about window openings, but those are often the first to go on sea side vehicles.
But one thing about RESTORING a WW- The wild westerner option is simply a paint code. If you paint it a different color it is nothing special any longer. If it has new paint.. what is it? Not original! So, an original paint or part original paint WW is a little more of a WW.
So, I would value any original paint, especially if repairs could be made to blend it in.
BTW, do we know what brand camper conversion? Safare? Can we tell anything about the interior? It seems to be intact.

I can see what you're saying about an original paint WW. But I have to wonder how a well-restored (with all new paint) WW would compare with a decent-shape WW value wise?

For example, Restomodman's sure seems like a very nicely done restoration and the paint looks beautiful. My WW, by comparison, has some rust in the floors (which thankfully doesn't affect the body), a replaced rocker panel still in primer, and a little primer on one fender. Plus lots of chips in the front and the dents from the damn tree a couple years ago.

So I wonder which one would be more valuable?

I think if you have a WW that is a WW by the numbers, and do a whole restoration and repaint it in the correct WW combo, that it doesn't take away from the Westerner-ness.

I do believe that is a Safare camper conversion. There seems to be at least a few of these WWs. And I do really like them.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 120 of 169

Jump to: