Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molenari wrote:
Rob R wrote:
I don't remember where I found this picture (it may already be on the Samba). Looks like a few Wild Westerners on the line
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was posted in this thread on 23rd of september. I located the origin of the pic. It comes from the book "How to Restore Volkswagen Bus: Your Step-By-Step Illustrated Giude to Body and interior restoration" by Mark Paxton. page 14 of the book: http://books.google.nl/books?id=uFjTgU0qUP8C&l...mp;f=false

I was thinking about the photo in the quote above. It shows three Wild Westerners moving on down the production line, in what must have been April or May 1973. I was thinking that the photographer who took that must have taken a bunch of photos all around the Hanover factory, maybe some of those other photos show more Wild Westerners getting built. It would be nice to see some right at the end to see if they had the blue stripes fitted or not (it seems odd to me that we have found both a factory part number for the stripes and a VWoA part number).

I recalled that Das Bundesarchiv has a load of photos online that were taken in various VW factories around 1973.

They were all taken in 1973 by Lothar Schaack, unfortunately he only got to Hanover in August 1973, long after all the Wild Westerners had been built. The above photo made me check the book molenari wrote with Alexander Prinz, ‘VW Transporter and Microbus - Specification Guide 1967 - 1979” as I wanted to double check when the sliding door pressing changed, just incase the photo above had been incorrectly dated. Sure enough the date on the photo appears to be correct as the pressing changed at the start of the 1974 model year (August 1973). It was while I was looking through molenari’s book that I looked a little more carefully at the production line photos that are scattered throughout the book.

The coloured production line ones all appear to have been taken during the 1973 model year, I wonder if they were taken at the same time as the Wild Westerners above were being put together? Unfortunately some of the photos are too small to be able to tell if any WWs are present.

The coloured photos appear to belong to VW, maybe it would be worth contacting them to see if they have anymore Hanover production line photos from April/May 1973?
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I so agree all the pictures and paperwork we could find would be cool info to have.

In fact I recall a couple of owners having paperwork showing the dealership names where they were purchased. I would hope they would do some research on the dealership owners and or advertise in that area in hopes of finding out the story of the origin of the Wild Westerner.

in regards to the leisure suits the colurs of the bus that would da coolest but don't forget big hair, funky glasses and if u add a top hat and cane you could be a leprecon. Yep I can't spell it butt u know what i'm sayin.

BTW it is good to know we have two great bodymen in our group for I will contact Anycolorulike and see what it would cost to get the wrecked WW to the border, it still has an Arizona Title.

Peace by any means but if not available then
Peace Out !

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)

Last edited by Bill Sullivan on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I did a little mock up of leisure suits...

What do you all think?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

What do you all think?

That’s fantastic! However I’m really impressed by the snappy footwear the workers at VW are rocking in the photo of the assembly line Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I could rock that suit....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

This is the Wild Westerner I bought in Portland and shipped to the East Coast that nobody wanted.

We will have Tees available I'm guessing all should be made extra Large thru 4 extra large. tiny people can wear them as a dress.

We will need a Nurse Goodbody for the Ambulance.

Notchboy and myself would be a good fit as The Beach Boys the later years.

I' sure we have a Momma Cass in the group.

We will need an Elvis Impersonator .

I suspect we will throw Spokane into the International spotlight again and probably have keys to the city before we leave. Razz

Ain't it Nifty to be Fifty.

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Same Surfboard, utter side .

Ya know if we could get some Owners and Contributors to assemble some mock bands for kinda Woodstock spin off. We need Groups like the Bee Gees, what was the group that performed YMCA, Disco era bands, lip sinc will be allowed and most likely desired .

Last edited by Bill Sullivan on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

What do you all think?

That’s fantastic! However I’m really impressed by the snappy footwear the workers at VW are rocking in the photo of the assembly line Very Happy

Collie wrote:
I could rock that suit....

I could make them... I just don't know how long the fabric is going to be available. I might make one for me then show you guys the real thing and then if you want one PM me.

I wanna be part of this, I need to get a Wild Westerner.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Omg....how can forget who did “YMCA” ?

It was someone “in the Navy”
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I remember now...

The Village People

I think they were from San Francisco seems like ??? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, Out of abt 70 plus Wild Westerners I only have 17 that have requested the free Certification Decals of which 5 are new that I have reach out to that are advertised for sale.

So whats sup ?

Any earthlings wanting a Wild Westerner speak up for we know where some are sitting waiting on a new owner to save them. Five years will go by fast so we need to get busy on these buses.

The event in Spokane will be for owners and contributors so everyone is welcome !

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Interesting picture in August 1973 of the first FIJ 1800cc
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Not sure what you are referring to. L-Jetronic 1974 bus engine? Not in a Wild Westerner, tho?
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Not sure what you are referring to. L-Jetronic 1974 bus engine? Not in a Wild Westerner, tho?

Are you guys talking about these photos?

It's my understanding that all the German VW air-cooled engines were built in Hanover at that time and then shipped to other assembly plants as needed. Fuel injected T2s didn't arrive until the start of the 1975 model year (August 1974). The engine above looks as though it's going to be fitted into a VW-Porsche 914/4, going by the position of the throttle body, plenum and the tinware. I'm a bit confused by the exhaust and heat exchangers, but maybe they are just temporary fitments to test the engine on a stand once it had been fully assembled?? Like in this Hanover photo below where a guy is putting a single port engine through its paces. Looks like a single port 1192cc engine, probably destined for a VW1200.

The water-cooled engines were built in the then new factory in Salzgitter, which also built the VW K70 car and VW 412 in 1973. The water-cooled boxer engines used in the T3 Type 2 were also later built in Hanover.

I will write to VW to see if they have any archive photos of Wild Westerners that they would be willing to share...
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Perhaps type 4 engines. the late 412 models had 1800 with L-jet. Same motor as a 914 1.8 but very thin heat exchangers (at least 411's all had BA4's).
There were a few injected 1974 type 2's I think Automatic CA only. Just a few hundred. Nice peppy motor.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

You are right Alan, the Californians got the fuel injected engine earlier. The Specification Guide I referenced earlier says they were first built on the 1st of November 1973 and fitted from VIN 2142 132 408.

I don't think those Type 4 engines are destined for VW 412s however, the tinware doesn't match, nor the location of the coil, plus there are those brackets on the intake manifold where the air-filter would sit and notice how the throttle valve is sitting on top of the plenum? Barring the exhaust system, they look like 2 litre 914 engines like the one pictured below, taken from Brian Long's book Porsche 914/916-6.

Apologies for the thread tangent! Embarassed at least it is all 1973 related...

Hope to add some Wild Westerner information soon!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:

We will have Tees available I'm guessing all should be made extra Large thru 4 extra large. tiny people can wear them as a dress.

Um, Bill, I know that spelling ain't your strong suit, but you need to fix the grammar on those T-shorts before getting them printed up!

("you're" not "your")

The sufboard is awesome!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Should be "yer". Wink
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Um, Bill, I know that spelling ain't your strong suit, but you need to fix the grammar on those T-shorts before getting them printed up!

("you're" not "your")

The sufboard is awesome!

And another observation that made me turn up an eyebrow......does the image of a "Split" that was turned into a "Bay" really need to be the image that may be the branding for this unofficial club? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Roger that...

Skoolin wasn't a big deal for me...

My priority's always been liquor and women.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I recall someone forwarding a correct image after submitting the original version . Here in lies the problem my son no longer lives at home therefore I cannot threaten to cut off his food rations in order to correct it. If anyone who has the skills to make the changes then get er dun, it will be a while before we print.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

What kind of angle on the image do you want... the same? I bet I could do it. No promises though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 121 of 169

Jump to: