Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Been some time, and I have not got the bus going yet. But I had a questions regarding the camper bed situation. our current set up has a full size fold out bed and you fold over the original black seat to make a bed. Its not ideal for storage. who has slept with a spouse on the bed that has the storage cabinet on the wall? Is it cramped or not bad? What did you do for small children?
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Mober wrote:
Been some time, and I have not got the bus going yet. But I had a questions regarding the camper bed situation. our current set up has a full size fold out bed and you fold over the original black seat to make a bed. Its not ideal for storage. who has slept with a spouse on the bed that has the storage cabinet on the wall? Is it cramped or not bad? What did you do for small children?

Cramped yes with the storage cabinet. Kids sleep on floor or child's cot over the drivers and passenger seats would be the best options depending on how old they are.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
Mober wrote:

Cramped yes with the storage cabinet. Kids sleep on floor or child's cot over the drivers and passenger seats would be the best options depending on how old they are.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524725&highlight=side+tent

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

side tents are fine until you are deep in bear country Surprised
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

look for a 74-75 full width bed or modify a 3/4width westy bed to full width.
the side cabinets can be replaced with duffel bags for camping. and tossed on the front seats (under the child's cot) when parked..

the OG Adventurewagen folding rear seat/bed was outdated 6 months after they issued them.. it's just a impracticable design compared to a proper westy rear bench/bed.

I'm surprised it's survived all these years in the bus.. you get about twice the gear storage in a westy bench/bed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

My 2 cents.

I would go back original that is if you are planning on selling it one day, for it would be much more valuable original.
And if you want to go camping just buy a tent and throw in the back along with your beer or liquor or whatever you drink.

At the end of the day it is yours do as you wish.

Cuz

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
Mober wrote:

First time I have ever heard of the childs cot and I love it!
Mober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
look for a 74-75 full width bed or modify a 3/4width westy bed to full width.
the side cabinets can be replaced with duffel bags for camping. and tossed on the front seats (under the child's cot) when parked..

the OG Adventurewagen folding rear seat/bed was outdated 6 months after they issued them.. it's just a impracticable design compared to a proper westy rear bench/bed.

I'm surprised it's survived all these years in the bus.. you get about twice the gear storage in a westy bench/bed.

It's honestly a terrible design, the seat doesn't even lay flat. the 3/4 bed is looking much more practical.
Mober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
My 2 cents.

I would go back original that is if you are planning on selling it one day, for it would be much more valuable original.
And if you want to go camping just buy a tent and throw in the back along with your beer or liquor or whatever you drink.

At the end of the day it is yours do as you wish.

Cuz

It's been in my wife's family since 78', no chance of selling it. The bus is already a really bad camper conversion from adventure bus, I figured I can use it for some time before my wife forces me to buy a travel trailer. Besides I really like the idea of sitting in the back and having a few beers during a roadtrip.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Mober, is your Westerner one of the super awesome high top campers?

Is the Adventure Wagon folding seat similar to the other designs that turn the standard rear seat into a bed? I've been thinking about ways to slightly camper-ize my Westerner for the trip to the PNW in 2023! I have advised the wife of this trip several times.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Earlier this week I made contact with a man from Washington State that has attended 18 Burning Man Events. All 18 events he attended he drove a VW Bus and tells me there a community of VW owners that attend and that he considers them his second family.

I think we should make plans for at least one Wild Westerner event per year. 2023 is already on the books for Spokane, Washington with Notchboy being Master of Ceremonies.

Suggestions for Sturges, Burning Man and any other events please just tell us what you have on ? (your mind)

Christopher Cross
(Sailing)

Until the next time :
Peace Out !

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

2023 will be a Hoot!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

for your Wild shopping excursions.

https://pixels.com/featured/surf-art-vw-bus-and-long-boards-w-gilroy.html?product=tote-bag

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I've ALWAYS felt that a VW gathering on the Blue Ridge Parkway would be epic. (for east coasters anyways)
the BRP is 469 miles from end to end with no stop signs or street lights and a usual speed limit of ~45mph. (25mph in congested areas).
so someplace mid section in September would be perfect. anyone down in those parts? know the areas well?

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Earlier this week I made contact with a man from Washington State that has attended 18 Burning Man Events. All 18 events he attended he drove a VW Bus and tells me there a community of VW owners that attend and that he considers them his second family.

I think we should make plans for at least one Wild Westerner event per year. 2023 is already on the books for Spokane, Washington with Notchboy being Master of Ceremonies.

Suggestions for Sturges, Burning Man and any other events please just tell us what you have on ? (your mind)

Christopher Cross
(Sailing)

Until the next time :
Peace Out !
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

and looks like you can get it on a shirt too

https://pixels.com/featured/surf-art-vw-bus-and-long-boards-w-gilroy.html?product=adult-tshirt
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I've got that shirt design, on white!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I've ALWAYS felt that a VW gathering on the Blue Ridge Parkway would be epic. (for east coasters anyways)
the BRP is 469 miles from end to end with no stop signs or street lights and a usual speed limit of ~45mph. (25mph in congested areas).
so someplace mid section in September would be perfect. anyone down in those parts? know the areas well?

Bill Sullivan wrote:

Christopher Cross
(Sailing)

Until the next time :
Peace Out !

That does sound pretty awesome!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

here's one for you a drive by in a news article.
it's unrelated to the news article. so enjoy the moment of fame for this wild westerner tintop westy?
pic was taken on Lovers Lane in Dalles, Tx
Denos 4429 Lovers Ln, Dallas, TX 75225

need to be a Dallas news subscriber to read the (unrelated) story
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/2020/03/27/tex...rgiveness/

https://www.facebook.com/125180520850373/posts/tex...116277685/

Last edited by danfromsyr on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I found an ad from August 2018 on OODLE showing a Wild Westerner for sale in Kansas. Does anyone know if this the same Wild Westerner we have listed in Kansas ?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Far as I know, my bus is the only one in Kansas, and I've had it since like 2014.

Can you post a link to the ad? I'm curious where it is/was. (And hopefully, someone wasn't trying some scam using my Bus!)

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 154 of 169

Jump to: