Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

The Blue originally was a decal and is not available unless you buy a roll and cut it but it is a pain when making corners. My suggestion just paint the blue it would be soo much easier .

There has been much debate as to a paint code for the blue you may look back a few pages and you should find this discussion .

If you paint the rear bumper only then it will look shiny and the rest of the vehicle dull unless you are planning to paint the entire vehicle..

I have updated the owner information on your Wild Westerner and
Welcome to the Club.

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Blaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Thank you, I'd like to paint the whole bus. I'll post a picture of the emblem on the side of the bus
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

David Blaine wrote:
Thank you Bill. That was one of my questions - can I just replace the bumper? The bus had a lot more rust than the picture reflects. Is it a mortal sin to repaint if we use the factory colors? Also, despite a ton of research ai can’t figure out if the blue stripe is a decal or paint.

My gut feeling is that if the original paint is not so horrible that you are ashamed of it, just roll with it. Or try to blend in the worst spots.
It is only original once.
Expensive paint jobs and restorations are usually the death knell of enjoying a car. OH THE HORROR of the first scratches.
I have an original paint 1956 SC. I'd never paint it. I will likely paint my patches, tho. Try to blend them in somehow. Or not. Patina i can live with. rusty floors, a bridge too far.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Surrounded by former Old Dominion University Police Cars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
bernd68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

And here he is again - back on the German road:

from the beginning in June 2018 to summer 2020

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the pictures and nice job.
An excellent way to spend the down time during the pandemic, hopefully other owners will follow.
Would you happen to knw if the factory where these critters we made is still in use by Volkswagen ?

Cuz

bernd68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hannover:

Of course. This is still the guiding principle for the worldwide production of transporters (almost 15,000 employees). Beetles, Toyota Hilux, LT, Amarok, 181, MAN trucks and others were also built. And in the future, the ID will come from there.

Here in the Forum there is also the picture from the production of the WW in Hannover - without the blue stripes...
As far as I know, the blue trim stripes were only glued on by VW USA.

Bernd
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Expensive paint jobs and restorations are usually the death knell of enjoying a car. OH THE HORROR of the first scratches.

Too funny. I like to tell people who buy a new car that first thing they need to do is throw the keys on the hood and spill a cup of coffee on the seat, and get over it.

When I had the '78 double cab repainted, I swore that I would not baby it. I would drive it. And I have, and it has knicks in the paint where my seat belt snaps back and hits the frame near the window. And the inevitable rock chips. And fitting the canvas scraped paint from the brackets. And some of the paint is peeling off. And I love driving it.

Still looks good from 20 feet, though. It's now a "twenty footer". Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I have definitely had similar thoughts in relation to doing restorations on my old VWs.

Thankfully (?) I don't have the cash to do a restoration any time soon, so I don't have to worry about it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
David Blaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Would appreciate any leads on an engine access (top) cover. My '73 has a stock hole but I have not been able to find a stock cover. Thanks
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Link

06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
subliminaldood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-bus-28/
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

We show it 0n master list owner unknown and for sale in July 2012.

Thanks for sharing maybe the new owner will join us.

tatters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

can a wild westerner still be registered?
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Absolutely
Just provide a picture of the metal plate inside behind the drivers seat.
It is a about the size of a credit card and is riveted to the metal wall. You will need to slide the seat forward to get a good picture. If you would like free certification decals then send your address to me using the PM tab below.

Sullivan

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Buyer Beware

We have to my knowledge 3 sets (6) Certification decals that have been so-called Lost.

Case in point, there is a Wild Westerner advertised for sale on samba classifieds with a yellow exterior.

None of the pictures show the decals. The present owner/seller states he lost the first set so I mailed a second set and the rascal has not put them on the bus.

I suspect some regular old VW buses will be painted Wild Westerner colors as a copy cat and the so-called lost decals will be used to falsely identify these critters. Please check with us if you are not 100 percent sure you are buying a Wild Westerner.

From now own if anyone wants certification decals there will be a fee of $4.00.

Run tell That !!!

Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Jtuaxe, I restored this bus 3 years ago. Not w WW but is a very nice bus. Took me over 300hrs of body and prep before it was ready for paint. I would cry if it got a scratch.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

We had a weird, "typical Kansas" weather day Tuesday. Like 5 inches of fluffy snow overnight and then by the afternoon it was sunny and all of the snow was gone.

Silas enjoyed looking upon the majesty of the Wild Westerner covered in the new-fallen snow.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
KevinBR107sl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hello from Texas. Been restoring my Wild Westerner for a couple of years now. It is/ I am on the Wild Westerner registry.
Love it! Original paint. Westfalia "weekender" set up. Walk through front, Z bed, mother in law seat and a couple of cabinets. Restored and redid the interior. Front seats stock and then custom upholstery from there back.
It runs great! Keeps up with highway traffic no problem. 70 mph plus. Previous owner, Kyle, rebuilt the original type 4 engine. Took a while to get it dialed in, and it sings now.
They are only original once. It is now in "show car" condition. Detailed so many things. It has been and continues to be a rewarding project. Entering it in first car show coming up in June. Dallas "dubsplash" Should be interesting and fun https://www.dlkdubsplash.com/ June 13th, 2021
It's not perfect, but it's perfect to me. People LOVE it! Smiles, comments and waves every time I drive it.
100% emotional support vehicle...
Also, mine was the one that was in the Dallas Morning News picture last year.
"Wild Westerners unite" is cool and funny. Thanks to all for contributing to documenting these rarest of rare bay window legends!

Peace, Kevin

These are the rarest VW Buses. Less than 50 on the road out of over 3,000,000 VW buses made. Legit! Documented. Certified. Rare.

#therarestVWbus
#therarestbaywindowbus

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Cuz

Got it looking good and we appreciate your help saving what was once considered a dying breed . We have confirmed I believe 86 so far and one day I plan to make it to West Coast to seek out the family members of the reported importer.
For now we are still planning a get together May 1, 2023 in Spokane please plan to attend.

Sully

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 156 of 169

Jump to: