Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Do we have it registered ?
Open The drivers door and slide the seat forward on the metal wall behind the seat is a Tag riveted to the wall abt the size of a credit card. Take a picture and post it if you don't mind.
Definitely not factory paint, I understand the blue stripes were added after these critters arrived in the United States.

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan wrote:
Do we have it registered ?
Open The drivers door and slide the seat forward on the metal wall behind the seat is a Tag riveted to the wall abt the size of a credit card. Take a picture and post it if you don't mind.
Definitely not factory paint, I understand the blue stripes were added after these critters arrived in the United States.

this a a customer's bus that he agreed I could post here. He purchased the bus new in 1973. I'll get some more info. on it when I get a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

What would be helpful being a original owner from 1973 would be what he or she knows about the origin of the Wild Westerner.

We have a couple of theories but no documentation proving anything.

A plausible theory is a importer from Pleasanton, California whom passed away a few years ago may have had a hand in the creation of the Wild Westerner.

No one has come forward from that area that is willing to contact family members' of this gentlemen to try and find the answer.

We needs boots on the ground to get that information.

So maybe your customer has some information to share.

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I've been working on making sure the next generation appreciates the Wild Westerner appropriately.

He was having fun honking the horn!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
The Westerner is going on a very important mission tonight, so it needed a bath.

Looking at the Little Man in your lap, I would say Mission Complete.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

lololol, I suppose one could say that!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
bernd68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hello,

I need your support:
for the approval in Germany, the authority wants an exact month of approval or the information of the Department of Transportation that there is no exact date of approval. I have the year of admission - it says on the title... But that's not enough - we Germans are sometimes very precise here.
Of course, I can't find my way around the website of the Department of Transportation of California. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this information? Thank you for your help.

Greetings Bernd
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong.
You bought a Wild Westerner that was in storage for 20 or so years.
So are you needing the last registration of when it was tagged and on the road in California ?
Also did it have a California tag on it when you received it , if so please post a picture for it may help .

Do we have anyone that knows what he needs and can help ?

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I'd recommend posting the question in the general Bay forum, not sure how many people would check this thread compared to a focused question.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
bernd68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for your answers. I have the last title and the bus was registered until the end. The first registration is 73 and here in Germany the month is always there. For example 4/73 - so approved in April. This information - the month - I should query the DMV with the VIN.... This is Germany Greetings Bernd
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Would the build date from the M-Code suffice for what Germany wants? That can be procured simply by running the info on the plate behind the driver seat.

Or are they wanting the date it was first registered in the US? I guess that difference would be the amount of time a ship and truck took, plus the dealer convincing someone to buy such a loud-colored Bus!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, I was able to order a Birth Certificate from the Wolfsburg VW Museum.
The m code plate as Dave mentioned gives you the week of the year it was produced.

bernd68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hello, the registration office in Germany wants an official information from the DMV when the car was officially registered for the first time. And with month. The month is missing on the title and the exact month I should confirm - officially. This should work with the VIN. But where exactly do I ask for this? At the DMV of Califonia - but who on the homepage is the right contact person? Greetings Bernd
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

First of all I don't think the public can access Department of Motor Vehicle Records.
Being that it was registered 48 years it would be in an archive of the California DMV Assuming that the vehicle was originally registered in California.
\
Do we have anyone that knows someone with the California DMV that can help [ our Wild Westerner Club Member in Germany to get the information he needs.

subliminaldood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hmm, If it was continuously registered in CA for its entire life then the month sticker on the existing license plate may be the same month it was initially registered due to renewal being annual, even if it did change owners.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

We need a volunteer that can draft a letter to the Governor of California explaining that a good friend in Germany purchased a 48 year old vehicle that is titled and was registered in the state of California and is having difficulty registering the vehicle in Germany because it is missing some information on the title. What is needed is the date the vehicle was FIRST registered in California this will need to be on Official California DMV Paperwork to be acceptable by the Germany DMV. A copy of the front and back of the title should be sent along with the letter to the Governor.

Please someone help our friend in Germany.

Thanks

Bill Sullivan

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I think I have a better shot at a third date with Beyoncé than this happening
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think I have a better shot at a third date with Beyoncé than this happening

What if the letter is written on official WWC Letterhead and signed by the President? LOL

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
bernd68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Thank you for your support. This procedure for approval is probably new. So far the 1.7 of the year was simply taken when the first registration month is unknown. Now everything should be tried to find out the month and only if that really does not work then the 1.07 is used.
How difficult this can be is probably not clear to those responsible.
Now there is a solution. I showed the head of the admissions office your answers and that convinced her that it is probably not so easy.
In addition, I have an old receipt of the DMV about a "Renewal Notice for Vehicle Registration" from 1995 with the entire data set - of course without the first registration month. This is now enough as proof that the month is not stored and thus estimated. Luckily, I got a thick folder with a lot of invoices and receipts.

Greetings from Germany from Bernd
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Ok Cousin, as i understand the problem has been resolved, and hope you get much enjoyment out of your Wild Westerner. Stay in touch and and post pictures when possible.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 158 of 169

Jump to: