Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body work/paint recommendations in Portland OR
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
connersw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Body work/paint recommendations in Portland OR Reply with quote

I have an 81 Westy, and the body is in solid shape as far as rust is concerned. Unfortunately, there are a few dings/dents/scratches that I would like to get repaired before the rust does start, and then put a fresh coat of paint on.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop near Portland OR that does good work at a reasonable price?

Along those lines, what is a reasonable price? Since answering that without actually seeing what needs repaired may be difficult, any idea on what a reasonable price for just a paint job would be?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
connersw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any one please help? Thanks in advance.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my suggestions:

You need to figure out how much you are willing to pay for a paint job that meets your needs. Do you plan to show the car, use it as daily driver, just a weekend warrior, a garage queen? Changing colors costs more.

Get ahold of the local VW or bus club and see if they have a list of body shops that do some of the VWs or ask some of the member who they would suggest you take it to. If you are out driving around and see a nicley re-painted car, talk to the owner about who did his work.

I would plan on removing the body seals and replacing them after the paint job is done. Is the pop top going to be replaced? Battery boxes? Are you needing any additional parts? What about underneath? Also if you have any rust issues with the front and real windshields, plan on having that done and replacing the seals for the glass. All of that costs money if you do it or if someone else does. The buses have a lot of surface area, although most of it is pretty straight. Make sure they use good paints and primers. A clean shop is a good sign.

I used to know a guy who would let you work on the car with him and do some of the grunt work under his direction, at his shop, and let you be part of the process, for less money. Unfortunately, he is dead.

Or just take it to a few body shops for an estimate on what it would cost to do the repairs and painting. If you don't really have a lot of rust issues, just some dents and dings, you should be able to get a reasonable paint job for in the neighborhood of $1000-1500, if they don't have to take it all down to bare metal and start over.

To do it right, taking the whole thing down to bare metal, and essentially starting over, doing the bottom, engine bay and some of the inside will set you back around $5K+ or so.

My PO had my bus painted at MAACO for about $1100. It is OK, nothing to write home to mom about, but servicable for a few years. I could have gotten a better job done for the same money or slightly more at a small local shop. They did not do the engine compartment, did not replace the seals, didn't do the inside of the bus and didn't pull off the pop top before painting. They did do the windshields (front and back) however and did a nice job on the fiberglass top. I might sign just up for a body shop class at the local tech college and get it ready there and then take it to a paint shop when I re-do it. I want to be part of the process next time.

Those are my thoughts on the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connersw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I don't plan to make it a show model by any means--I'll use it mostly for camping and touring. I just want to make it look a little nicer, and get some of the dings pounded out and painted before any rust can settle in (it came from the dry desert to rainy Portland).

There are no major rust issues, I'm keeping it the same color, the pop top is in mint condition, and I don't need the inside painted so I don't think it really needs to go down to bare metal. I plan on replacing most of the body seals anyway, and under the front window is the only area that I thought might need some extra attention.

From what you're saying, I'm guessing ~$1K should do it (which is about what I was thinking/wanted to spend). Now I just need recommendations on where to take it. I don't know of a local VW club (although being Portland, there has to be one) so I was hoping someone on here might know.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey connersw, hope you post some before & after pix. there is a very active group (wet westies) in the pacific nw but i don't think they're a VWoA cleared club - if that matters. i'd hope not.

bodywork can be spendy, hope you find someone in your price range and who can make your van everything you hope and more.

and congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: