Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering Switching to Rack & Pinion Steering
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Considering Switching to Rack & Pinion Steering Reply with quote

I've been thinking of converting my Baja Bug to rack and pinion steering lately.

At one time I ran a Porsche 356 steering box. After that was damaged, I switched to an early Type 1 steering box.

I've been reading good things about rack and pinion steering in a Baja Bug for years, but never wanted to spend the money or deal with the fabrication.

I have a stock width link pin beam with stock height shock towers. It has Porsche 356B spindles and Ford tie rod ends with chromoly tie rods.

I'm wondering who might have advice as to what the best r&p unit to use would be. Saco? Maybe something from a production car?

I like the idea of using a r&p unit from a production car as replacement parts should be easier to find for future repairs.

Is there any bolt on kit or is welding required for any conversion?
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went off half-cocked to change my '63 woods buggy to rack and pinion. I used a rack from a mid-70's Ford - possibly a '76 Capri I bought once for parts. I removed and sold all the VW steering stuff and started to fabricate mounts for the Ford unit from 3/16" thick 1 1/2" angle iron. I got it centered and mounted.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

THEN - I figured out that the rack was intended for use on spindles with front guide arms; not the rear guide arms like the VW has. That means that when I turn the steering wheel right, the wheels turn left! I'm sorta' stubborn, so now I have cobbled up a countershaft using an old oil pump, some lathe work and blistered my fingers from crossing them for luck. When I turn the input shaft CW, the output shaft turns CCW, which in turns the wheels the correct way. The countershaft unit is not quite complete yet, but I'll post some pictures when it's finished.

This post is intended to tell you that you need to go to a reputable site such as www.appletreeauto.com and buy the rack, mount, u-joints, etc. all as a package deal. I'd get the 14" unit which comes with the tie rods but not ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also considered a rack for my otherwise stock link pin beam. After way to much thought I decided it wasn't worth it. The stock bug steering boxes are plenty strong if you address their biggest week point. Also, bump stop is not really a big deal with the stock front ends with the stock steering set up.

You know what I like best about steering boxes? They are easier on the hands! Racks have a ton of feedback...feedback is good, but it's more than what I like. The worm gear in the stock boxes takes a lot of that shock off and transmits it as side thrust to the tough cast iron case.

Now if you were ever going to modify your front end for long travel...that would be a different story. Racks win hands down for that sorta thing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
oukno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this a few weeks ago.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/powerrack/powerrack.htm

He always comes up with some good ideas
74 Tahiti Jet boat
02 Sierra 2500 HD
Love them all but I never enough time to play with them.
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a saco rack. Make sure you get a center load rack as the end load racks are for a-arm cars. You will need to do some fabrication and make sure you get the bump steer as low as you can before you weld in the mount.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shred625 wrote:
I would use a saco rack. Make sure you get a center load rack as the end load racks are for a-arm cars. You will need to do some fabrication and make sure you get the bump steer as low as you can before you weld in the mount.

Are steering dampeners used with these racks?
WrRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a stock front end I would keep the box a frend of mine has a nice saco rack and a big steering wheel and driving it is a workout. You can buy a stering quickener but it will be pricey with the shaft and u joints.
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefladge wrote:
shred625 wrote:

Are steering dampeners used with these racks?

I used to have a fox shock with no nitrogen charge hooked up to my rack on my 9 car. Not running it anymore but for something on the street I would use one.
Gary Massin-Ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went thru the same thoughts with muy rail and finally came up wit this set up. I call it the "poor man's rack and pinion".

I used to have all sorts of bent parts and broken pieces before this and I too was not willing to spend the cash on the whole rack system.

This set up actually gives you longer tie rods than even the rack system which takes even more bump steer out of the articulation. I have not has any bent parts or breakage or peeled tires off rims since this mod.
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*
-------------------------------------------
The Ugly Bug is on the road!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: