Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holding Up Traffic -Drive You Nuts or Don't Give a Damn?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Holding Up Traffic -Drive You Nuts or Don't Give a Damn? Reply with quote

I was driving about 30 miles from Spokane to Coeur D'Alene on I-5 the other night. The freeway turns to 70mph at one point past The City of Spokane Valley and goes from about 6 lanes (including exits and on ramps) to 2.
Driving just past that point, cars start bunching up in front of me, I see turn signals popping on in the right lane and people diving into the left (my) lane. All of the sudden, there is this huge cluster f*ck of tardos to the point that I think somebody is going off the road.
As it clears out and I get to the front of the mess, I see a very clean, lotus white, 1967 beetle sedan. It was being driven by an older guy who had one arm on the door and steering wheel and the other one resting on the passenger's seat. He looked like he didn't have a care in the world.
I would think most VW people would look at that and say, "so what?" or "if you don't like it, go around" or something to that effect.

I was driving my truck and when I blasted past him, the first thing I thought was, "what an asshole", like he owns the highway and can do whatever he pleases. It's worse than somebody with a capable vehicle, passing and moving through traffic.

Does it bother you to be the source of so much anger? I run a stock 1600 and as a general rule, I don't hit the highway in my bug. If I do, I'll blow it up to keep up with traffic. I'm not an aggressive driver, I'm just considerate of other people and hate to have to see everybody go out of their way to accommodate me.

Your thoughts?
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few confrontations with slow drivers before and you know you're driving too slow when the guy in the old bug is mad that you're going too slow. I'll either pass slow drivers and if I can't pass them, I high beam them..I know it's an asshole move, but I cannot stand people who consistently drive 10-15mph below the speed limit.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering how you were on I-5.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't waste time thinking what other people think of me.

Just make sure if you tailgate me you have good brakes becasue I will brake check your ass- You have any idea what I can get for this old POS Bus in todays market?!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wuzmop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if people would drive responsibly. When they see a slow vehicle, truck, VW, old lady, otherwise, change lanes at that point instead of getting their panties in a wad, speeding up and running right up on the "offenders" bumper to make a point, then making a jerky lane change causing those that did change lanes responsibly to pile up behind them or swerve to avoid them. Or better yet, the even more considerate move of swerving in front of the "offender" so he has to slam on his brakes further pissing off those behind him.

70 is the max speed, not the minimum. I don't give a crap. My taxes pay for the road too, and as long as I'm being reasonable about it, I'm within my rights. On one lane farm roads, I'll shoulder it and let them pass when I can. If someone can't handle a simple lane change without getting butt hurt about it, it's their problem, not mine. Many commercial vehicles have governors and can't go any faster than my bus.
71 Bus
91 Cabby
www.aircoolers.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Just make sure if you tailgate me you have good brakes becasue I will brake check your ass- You have any idea what I can get for this old POS Bus in todays market?!

X2. If I gave a shit what people thought of me I'd buy a Honda
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A driver who is driving well below the speed limit is dangerous and should at least have flashers or some other indication that he is going much slower than drivers have a right to expect. If you can't do at least 60-65 you have no business being on a 70mph road.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, how fast was the '67 going in the 70 zone. Generally there is a law about how slow you can go below the speed limit. If he was above that, who cares?
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive my 66 baja bug with a 1641 on the 3 lane city highway in Tucson all the time. I frequently pass people, and frequently get passed myself. I do about 70 mph in it no problem.

My rule of thumb is, is if I can do what you're doing in my raised bug with swing axles faster then you are, you're going to slow. whether it be turning, or just driving. (speed limits in mind) If I can do 50 in a 45, then you should be able to do 45-50 in the same zone. There's no reason for people to do 35 in a 45 and believe me, I see it often. PISSES me off. I wish my car had more balls to over take them Laughing

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the guy in the bug was in the right lane. I drive a lot of miles on a 2 lane interstate and there are way too many drivers who like to hang out in the left lane and go slow. That is annoying.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go as slow as you want, just PLEASE in the name of all that's holy, stay out of the left lane. If you are in it, and see traffic behind you, move your ass over to the right lane at the earliest possible moment. Just because you pay your goddamn taxes doesn't mean that you have special rights to inconvenience the rest of us, that also pay taxes.

If I were a betting man, I'd say these same inconsiderate clowns are the ones that also park their shopping cart right in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store, get in the 10 items lane with a cart load of shit, stand and talk (block) in the middle of a walkway, etc, etc, etc. BUT, if you have a party and they music is audible after 9 PM, they're the same dickheads that call the cops because "it's not right". Dicks.

Don't even get me started on truckers. One goes 67 mph, and the one behind him is going 67.00000001, so he has to pass. The problem is, it takes 10 miles of highway to do so. That drives me fucking insane.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
I'm just wondering how you were on I-5.

LMAO. I-90
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

X3. I hate the tailgaters worse than the slowpokes, I can always go around the slowpokes. I had a kid in a Honda on my ass bad once. I was in the fast lane and doing 5 over the posted, I sped up to 10 over and he was still on my ass so I slow down to the posted and he still wouldn't go around (it's my lane). I brake checked him HARD and he damn near bought me a new paint job, his tires a smokin. Turns out the 13" discs on the 'vette I was driving at the time were a little too much for his hotrod Honda. He backed off. Evil or Very Mad

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I'm driving the old lifted '88 Suburban in the city I get some people tailgating me, mostly off the line at red lights. The thing isn't a speed demon and it gets 10 mpg on a good day, so I don't like to hammer it once the light turns green. I get up to speed at a reasonable pace, but still have Kias behind me jerk into the other lane and floor it pass me. And then once I'm up to speed I pass right by them again... Rolling Eyes
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuzmop wrote:
Maybe if people would drive responsibly. When they see a slow vehicle, truck, VW, old lady, otherwise, change lanes at that point instead of getting their panties in a wad, speeding up and running right up on the "offenders" bumper to make a point, then making a jerky lane change causing those that did change lanes responsibly to pile up behind them or swerve to avoid them. Or better yet, the even more considerate move of swerving in front of the "offender" so he has to slam on his brakes further pissing off those behind him.

70 is the max speed, not the minimum. I don't give a crap. My taxes pay for the road too, and as long as I'm being reasonable about it, I'm within my rights. On one lane farm roads, I'll shoulder it and let them pass when I can. If someone can't handle a simple lane change without getting butt hurt about it, it's their problem, not mine. Many commercial vehicles have governors and can't go any faster than my bus.

Interesting....
This is the response I expected from most. I would feel ashamed of myself, but that's me.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a State Minimum speed Or is there a posted minimum speed?

If not, he has paid the same taxes you have paid and has every right to motor on the highway while not EXCEEDING the legal limit.

Leave him be. We all hear a different drum beat, his is simply slower than many others hear.

If there is a minimum speed he should be doing it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Legally, yes. But morally, it's not right IMO.

My point is that the driver probably thinks everybody speeding by him, honking at him, is an a-hole. He's doing the minimum and he's paid his taxes and so on and so on. When in fact...he's the a-hole and he needs to keep up or take another way.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Legally, yes. But morally, it's not right IMO.

My point is that the driver probably thinks everybody speeding by him, honking at him, is an a-hole. He's doing the minimum and he's paid his taxes and so on and so on. When in fact...he's the a-hole and he needs to keep up or take another way.

So we are at the most basic driving philosophy? The ....."Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way" mindset?
Well.........

I guess he is choosing not to lead,
He is also Choosing as well to follow
And by keeping in the right lane......
Is getting out of the way.

What's the problem?

Granted, I wouldn't do this driving technique, if I'm going to mosey along, smell the roses and take in the sights, I want to enjoy the ride on a scenic back road.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive about 800 miles round trip in a couple of days twice a month. Most of it on I-5. I tend to drive 70-75ish. Heck, I don't move out of the way for Chippies! on the other hand, I am always looking at the big picture, if I see someone driving slow on the fast lane, I timely switch lanes and don't even acknowledge the slow driver. Why waste my time and why raise my blood pressure? I've been doing this since 1988 and Thanks God I've never had an accident. But I've seen plenty of weekend warriors flip their cars or loose control and wipe out by switching back and forth just to get one car ahead. Live and Learn.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
A driver who is driving well below the speed limit is dangerous and should at least have flashers or some other indication that he is going much slower than drivers have a right to expect. If you can't do at least 60-65 you have no business being on a 70mph road.

Rolling Eyes

Obviously you only drive your VW on sunny days and weekends in a Santa hat and fisherman's sweater.

There's no moral or safety obligation to stay off the freeway if you can't (or won't) go 60-65 on a 70mph road. Highways set minimum speeds. If you're in the slow lane doing whatever speed you like at or above that minimum then you're legally driving. Really you're just endorsing the asswipe mentality of "if they aren't going 30mph above the speed limit then I'm tailgating". Is that what you do when you get all sporty in your Miata?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: