Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very Close to Losing Power 85, 2.1 new engine.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Very Close to Losing Power 85, 2.1 new engine. Reply with quote

1985 Westy with 2.1L engine with about 9,000 miles on new engine. Today while driving home from work, a less than 3 mile drive, was at stop sign and when I accelerated from 1st gear, pressing on gas pedal, there was barely any power to move... then slowly she picked up then went into 2nd gear and same thing... thought for sure she was gonna just die and stall out..

Home a few blocks from incident and now concerned to drive again.. Looking for advice on what this might be.. Thanks!!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Close to Loosing Power 85, 2.1 new engine. Reply with quote

It could be just about anything. I would check the oil and coolant and as long as they are fine I would start the engine and listen for any strange noises while watching for odd colored exhuast. Look for obvious signs of massive oil leaks too. If those things were also fine I would take it for a little drive somewhere where you're not too afraid to break down at.

Then, I would pay attention to whether it runs poorly right off the bat or if it seems to get bad after the engine warms up. If the latter, I would then turn off the engine and then restart. Does it run fine at first after restarting or not?
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch slipping?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SCM, I will take her out early tomorrow morning in the neighborhood and see if it continues to happen. It did happen today after she was warmed up though. Will try your advice.. thank you!!
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run fine when cold? Does it seem like the engine is missing, like maybe only running on 3 cylinders? Or is it running normally with just no power?
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a big vacuum leak. Check all the vac hoses.
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if i don't do at least a 3 minute warm up, she will always stall out. Go Westy adjusted my idle almost 1 year ago so that I would hopefully not have such a hard time passing the smog inspection again. Today, it felt like while giving her gas, she had almost no power and was moving very slow for about 5 seconds then picked up.. but when switched to 2nd gear, giving her gas resulted in no power for about 5 sec. again.. It was kinda scary.. almost as if there was no engine yes..
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the TPS? (Throttle Position Switch)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly lots of threads describing a hesitation coming off idle though usually this feeling does not recur when you shift into 2nd.

I cured my hesitation though alas I am not sure how. Out of frustration I threw several spare parts, adjustments and refinements at it all at once and voila! one of them (or maybe more than one) made everything perfect.

I suspect it was the worn AFM but can't prove it.

A search of 'hesitation idle' may turn up some priors but unfortunately those threads often end w/o knowing if/how the problem was ever resolved.
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for repair shop to open. On way here, no hesitation but dash fan is coming on. Drive here was about 5 miles drove 45mph at most.
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Vacuum leak? Reply with quote

Same thing happened recently to my buddy's 84. His vacuum lines were held on with duct tape and it finally gave up. We made sure all of them were as they should be, snipped some of the ends off to better seal and it came back to life. Then he went to auto parts place and bought new line (all of like $5).

New engine so I assume you are good with that, but I'd say a vacuum line fell somewhere or a hole developed. It really sounds like the engine is not advancing.

My 02 cents.

~Jason
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Bruno the mechanism drove her without symptoms of course. They are going to check fuel injection grounds and clean. Will post any updates..
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Car Service with Bruno the owner went well today.. He drove her and inspected. My fuel filter was very dirty and the wire going into the fuel pump was loose. Erick the mechanic cleaned, soldered and tightened ground wires and fuel pump wires and ground. Checked timing and idle, replace fuel filter. Anyone upgraded to the Go Westy more expensive fuel filter upgrade system?

So far she sounds great without hesitation. Is anyone planning on upgrading to the up coming Go westy fuel injection system?

THanks for all advice Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: