Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bundeswehr Paint Code Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
Does anyone know the German Bundeswehr Paint Code as shown here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes the stock army green, looks to be flat.

Thanks

RAL6031
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
CaravElla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

The list posted by kamzcab86 in 2012 still seems to be the best documentation of colors and codes. Really great!

Nevertheless, I'm confused now, because the color code for the bumper of the Vanagon GL 1990 does not fit. If I follow the color code in the list this would be almost black. In fact, the color on my Vanagon's bumper (and all other 1990's GL I've found) is rather a light stone gray. Does any one of you happen to have the right code? I have found LU7V or LT7B (the last one = Bumper Multivan Europe 1992), but I'm not sure either one is right.

Greetings from Cologne in Germany

Burkhard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Greetings from Alaska CaravElla!

Our ‘91 burgundy westfiala has the same “lightish grey” fiberglass bumper. however I think that is due to color fade more than it not being black, or at least dark slate, at birth. The darker fiberglass parts - bumper, pop-top, belt trim - have all faded quite a bit over the years as the fiberglass surface breaks down ( Shocked ). I have seen posts on renewing them.

I am curious as to just how “black” the OEM were originally, I’m used to seeing/imagining them a dark slate color.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaravElla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

burgundy is a nice color, isn't it? Mine has been a bit shabby as sunburned in California, but I'm restoring the Vanagon as 2nd T3 and got it repainted - beautiful and a nice contrast to my pure white 1st and only Caravelle.

By the way: my wife asks about today's weather in Alaska Wink

Back to the color of the bumpers. I checked all available documents and brochures. The original color is a light grey but didn't find the code of this color. I asked Volkswagen classics but they didn't come up with the code but offered a certificate based on the VIN of my Vanagon, including all color codes. Finally I payed what they asked (90€) but now have to wait about 6 weeks because they explained to be completely overloaded due to too many requests....

I would like to have the paint job done and therefore don't want to wait until they send me something.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

CaravElla wrote:
Nevertheless, I'm confused now, because the color code for the bumper of the Vanagon GL 1990 does not fit. If I follow the color code in the list this would be almost black. In fact, the color on my Vanagon's bumper (and all other 1990's GL I've found) is rather a light stone gray. Does any one of you happen to have the right code? I have found LU7V or LT7B (the last one = Bumper Multivan Europe 1992), but I'm not sure either one is right.

Greetings from Cologne in Germany

Burkhard

The lighter bumper color was used on Carat models here in the USA and in Europe:

Vanagon:
Bordeaux Red Pearl (LC3Y) ~ Carat & GL
Flash Silver Metallic (LP7Y)
Orly Blue Metallic (LP5Z) ~ Carat & GL
Pastel White (L90D) ~ +Carat & GL
Tornado Red (LY3D) ~ Carat & GL
Vanagon Camper & Multivan:
Flash Silver Metallic (LP7Y) with white pop-top ~ Camper
Bordeaux Red Pearl (LC3Y) with burgundy pop-top
Orly Blue Metallic (LP5Z) with dark blue pop-top
Pastel White (L90D) with white pop-top
Transporter:
Bordeaux Red Pearl (LC3Y)
Orly Blue Metallic (LP5Z)
Pastel White (L90D)
Bumpers:
Graphite (LH7B) ~ GL & Camper
Rally Black (L03C) ~ base model
Cloud Gray Metallic (LV7N) with Graphite (LH7B) ~ Carat & Multivan

There is another thread out there in which someone claims the color is more like VW's Jade Green Metallic (LN6V). But, metallics have a funny quirk: in certain light, they appear a different color, like Orly Blue appearing violet. Silvery metallics, are also influenced by other colors around them. Here is an example:

From the front and up close under fluorescent light, ^that certainly has some green to it.

From the side, not so much green and the front appears darker than the rear.

To compare, here is a genuine Jade Green Metallic VW:

The VW parts catalog lists Cloud Gray Metallic as the color for Carat models. Whether the catalog is accurate is anyone's guess, but that's where I got the info from.

The plain-Jane (fiberglass) bumpers on the other models were not originally a true black; they were Graphite, much like the GTI's Avus (Snowflake) wheels.

Edit: Here are some other Carat/Wolfsburg photos:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Great info, thanks kam!

So it may be our bumper hasn’t “faded” all that much after all. The pop-top sure did so I figured the same for the bumpers.

Canadian camper

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
So it may be our bumper hasn’t “faded” all that much after all.

Really crappy image (need to take a better photo without flash), but here's the before/after a buffing-out on my front door cladding (bumpers were painted black prior to my ownership) that was rather oxidized:

Definitely not black, but dark gray and, hard to tell in that photo, but a metallic appearance.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaravElla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Hi guys,

you help to narrow down the topic. Your buses are not GL-Vanagons, so they do not have two-tone bumpers, but have the plain gray of the Westfalia versions.
The European Carat and the Wolfsburg Edition have two-tone bumpers, but have a darker gray than the Vanagon GL. And the American Carat has an even lighter gray-gold.
And what's missing between all that is just the color (the color code) of the Vanagon GL.

Some pictures of my Vanagon GL with original but really used bumpers before I started to work on it:

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

CaravElla wrote:
Your buses are not GL-Vanagons, so they do not have two-tone bumpers, but have the plain gray of the Westfalia versions.
The European Carat and the Wolfsburg Edition have two-tone bumpers, but have a darker gray than the Vanagon GL. And the American Carat has an even lighter gray-gold.
And what's missing between all that is just the color (the color code) of the Vanagon GL.

1991 Vanagon Carat and MV:

1990 Vanagon Carat (left) and Vanagon GL (right):

Look the same to me... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2016 Golf GTI S
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

What this thread probably needs is a selection of pictures for each of the colour-codes? I'm trying to figure out a blue/silver, or stick with my dove blue metallic, but finding hard to get idea on the various colour codes without good pics.
CaravElla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Many thanks to all who have discussed and tried to help.

The result that it does not really make sense to evaluate colors based on images as this might be misleading. I have now obtained the Volkswagen Heritage certificate for my Vanagon. The color of the bumpers is given there as in the listing at the beginning of this thread: Cloud Gray Metallic (LV7N) with Graphite (LH7B). The bumpers have now been painted in this color combination and the result is perfect. I will post pictures as soon as everything is assembled again. That may still take ...

Greetings from Cologne/Germany

Burkhard
oaklandfunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

do you folks know if this is all the same color? is it dove blue metallic or more than one color? Perhaps star blue metallic?

mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Any recommendation on the paint manufacture to use for our Vanagons?
Some local shops mix it your color but never found a really matching color.
Wonder if anyone has good results with online ordering.
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the colour code for the interior hardboard panels on commercial vehicles is? Is it the same as for T2 - L275 light beige?
Type3 9/63 1500N M264 panel
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Anyone want to give me a hint as to what R200 is?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

591, 9220, L591, R200 Gelborange

?

I got web hits for R200 showing a wide variety of model years.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Thanks Neil. I'm not sure why I was so unsucessful.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

You're welcome old_man. I've been stymied for search terms before....

I got hits for French, German web sites using "Gelborange". If I recall, your single cab was sold in Germany, imported to Canada? i.e. I wonder if Vanagons with that colour were even sold in [edit] North America?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Does anyone know the correct paint code for the lower section of the body (and bumpers) for the VW Tristar?

It's a very dark grey, darker than LH7B but I can't find this written anywhere.

Believe it or not, this is the same Tristar Syncro and with the original paint but within direct sunlight.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a rattle can spray paint that comes close to LT1M Tuscan/Toscano Beige? I've tried purchasing this color from two different automotive paint suppliers and they've both told me they don't have it.

Is there a rustoleum or a duplicolor that comes close? I'm trying to paint some screw heads so it doesn't have to be exact.

Thanks, Leo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: