Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preemptive Strike
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Preemptive Strike Reply with quote

Earlier this year we bought an '85 Wolfsburg Weekender. We've trying to do all of the preemptive replacements and upgrades that we can, in anticipation of a cross country trip next year. It turns out that it has a 90/91 syncro transmission in it, installed by Ben up in Montreal back in '04. As tempting as it would be, I'm not going to install a locker, but will get a TBD. My question is, would it be wise to go ahead and have it rebuilt? I've read that you really should have the earlier trannys done, are the 90/91s prone failures over time?
Thanks
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to call without information. Was the tranny rebuilt when installed and what was done? How many miles on the trans total? How has it been maintained since then? How is it driven with the added horsepower?

However, at the end of the day its still a tough question. Spending $4000 or more of your money is something you will need to be making the call on. The tranny will wear out, and when it does it is essentially a trip ender. With the added power, this will happen more quickly. Those are two observations that are fairly definite. How much and when to spend to avoid those events is up to you.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logic dictates you should ask Ben! You have a rare advantage to know where the work was done and be able to contact him: (ftp2leta on this site) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=32229.

Or his site: http://www.benplace.com/bjp3.htm.

GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Preemptive Strike Reply with quote

BoneMachine wrote:
Earlier this year we bought an '85 Wolfsburg Weekender.....it has a 90/91 syncro transmission in it, installed by Ben up in Montreal back in '04.

A 4 wheel drive trans in a 2 wheel drive. Are you sure?

So you have 5 speeds. Granny first plus 4 more?

Those cost big bux to rebuild.

The TBD is like $1200 and $75 to add in, so no big deal.

The 90/91 box will go to around 200K frequently in the 2 wheel application.

But out of a syncro means it could be short lived too.

It is a tough call cause of the costs involved as above noted.

Sort of damned if you do or not.

If money means not, then do it. I suspect the money matters, if you are asking.

If you add the TBD, you might as well do the deed.

If not, then how lucky do you feel?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
I did contact Ben a couple of days ago. He remembers the job, but it turns out the tranny was supplied by the customer. So, he has no idea of the mileage/wear on the unit.
Even though the notes refer to it as a 'syncro' tranny, it's a four speed, no granny gear. From what I've read during 90/91 they used the casing that had the boss casting for a locker, which in this case is un-tapped.. The PO did say it came out of a syncro, so I'd have to assume it was a non-locker, four speed. Does that sound correct?
r39o, man I never feel that lucky. We've decided to not add the locker. For the type of driving I do with this van, it wouldn't be worth the expense. We're going to have Daryl do a rebuild and add the TBD. From all the reports I've read here about the TBD, that'll be the perfect upgrade.
Thanks again.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is out of a syncro, then it has a low gear.

If not, then not.

A stock generic 4 speed costs about $1000 to rebuild.

Add for oil plates and other modifications.

Wholesale, mine was $1600 with a different 4th speed, SA oiling plates and various uprated parts.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the "notes" are some past owner's notes and they were told by a used auto parts guy they bought it from that it was a "synchro" tranny. In the old days, a transmission description would read "full synchromesh transmission" or similar - indicating it had synchronizers on all gears, etc. This has been the case forever, but that's the only way I can imagine this. Intentionally putting a 4wd transmission in a 2wd vehicle would be odd, and I'd think it would be a bear to get the shift pattern to work with the wrong shifter box under the front floor. It's easy to see - just slide under and see if there is an elongated forward section with a flange that should be bolted to a driveshaft that isn't there.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like one photo would tell all, the syncro transaxle mounts differently than the 2wd and the nose cone is unmistakeable. May be possible to mount syncro trans without changing linkage to show low gear. Post the photo.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Intentionally putting a 4wd transmission in a 2wd vehicle would be odd

People do it, not unheard of. BUT, these days it is extra expensive.

But, as above, looking or taking pictures would nail it.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original post, yes the 4WD trans is subject to the same failure issues as the 2WD it is nearly identical to in key ways. What would I do if I had a Syncro 4WD trans under my 2WD that was acting up? I'd advertise the transmission for sale and take that money to purchase a nice rebuilt 2WD from AA in Portland. Or perhaps work a trade with them by sending in the increasingly hard to find trans you have for a common rebuilt 2WD and cash to make up the difference. You'd end up coming out financially ahead versus the VERY expensive rebuild process on your 4WD trans.

Either way, a simple picture would let you know if this is the situation, and satisfy the intensely curious - including me. Heh.

DougM
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting my learn on and the only part of this tranny that is syncro is the case housing. It has the boss for the locker cast into it and that's the end of it. It has none of the gearing that a syncro requires.
My plan is to have Daryl rebuild the tranny and add the LSD/TBD. I'll keep this housing just in case we decide to add a locker some time down the road.
I really appreciate all of the input on this.
Thanks.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original question: 90/91 would not have had the deficient 3/4 slider in it from the factory, they caught their boo-boo and sometime in '89 changed to a redesigned (I should say "belatedly-properly-designed") part.

But Daryl will have the full run-down for you, you're in very good hands.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it is a 90/91 model year - assumed you were shortening "091/094" trans model. Missed that, Tencent. Updated 3/4 slider hubs modified but still failing and I'd still recommend an aftermarket (Weddel Racing, etc) one vs an updated VW part.

Also, I'm pretty sure the transmission casing (main one forward of the bell housing) was 100% shared which would mean the locker boss would be there for all 2WD housings. So this would still not indicate it is a Syncro trans. A Syncro trans will have an "094" stamp over top of the "091" stamp if you want to be sure about it. Can't recall where that stamp is located but I recall only seeing it once the trans is out.

If you in fact DO have a Syncro trans, be sure to address the forward vent, which would have no hose screwed into it and therefore be open to dirt intrusion.

DougM
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Updated 3/4 slider hubs modified but still failing and I'd still recommend an aftermarket (Weddel Racing, etc) one vs an updated VW part.

I have not heard of the late VW part failing prematurely, I think you're doing a little snake oil selling, Doug.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Quote:
Updated 3/4 slider hubs modified but still failing and I'd still recommend an aftermarket (Weddel Racing, etc) one vs an updated VW part.

I have not heard of the late VW part failing prematurely, I think you're doing a little snake oil selling, Doug.

The later VW parts were just a bit more straight cut.
They have held up better in my experience, but Albin, Weddle, Long and others are making higher quality parts IMHO.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that the aftermarket ones are ultimately stronger, my point was really just that the late VW part had the early VW part's obvious design deficiency remedied by not square-cutting the three grooves, so it no longer had the extreme stress riser that pretty much guaranteed the early part would fail prematurely. I know that some of the late VW ones do eventually fail at high miles, but I don't consider 200k miles or so to be premature, by that kind of mileage if the slider isn't ready to go something else probably is, that's a lot of miles on any hard-working gearbox. I was chiding Doug (and gently, at least I hope it was taken that way) because it kind of seemed to me like he was suggesting tearing down a late trans just to put in the Weddle part, and my response is that by itself that would be insufficient reason to do so. Overhaul just to replace the early VW part? Yes, that would be wise. To do it when you have the late VW part? definitely not worth the expense unless there were other reasons to go into that box, such as overall high mileage.

All this is moot since the OP is having Daryl go thru the box already anyway, and as far as I know he and most others tend to install one of the strengthened aftermarket versions regardless. Anyway, the Big D will set everything straight.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I have a late Syncro locker, unopened from new with 287,000 total miles on it in a 91 Syncro with an EG33 connected to it for just over 150,000 of those miles.
I tow and drive it loaded often....no slider issues as of yet.

Swepco has been in the trans for the last 150k and flushed regularly.

Another H6 I know of just roasted its tranny after a whopping 350 total miles....it was the burnouts that did it Exclamation

Treat them with respect and they will go many miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: