Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STOLEN: '65 VW Bug So Cal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: STOLEN: '65 VW Bug So Cal Reply with quote

This morning my '65 Bug was stolen from my driveway in El Segundo. Window was broken and they fired it up and drove away. The car has been in our family for 45+ years and has quite a bit of sentimental value. It was my first car, and my pride and joy. Id anyone in the Southern California area sees it, hears anything about it, or has any information or questions, please let me know.

Java green original color inside paint, license plate NKB 420. 1200 engine with 019 bosch. Cash reward. 310 489 6970 Pics below:

Used to look like this -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like this now -

I appreciate the help Samba community. [/b]
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, man! Hope you find it.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its terrible to hear when somebody's pride and joy is taken from them. You need to post as much information on every vw forum that you possibly can... Include pictures, special markings (dents, dings, ANYTHING) that will make your car identifiable. I would also post wanted ads around your area with pictures of the car... normally when something is stolen, its from somebody close by. You might even want to try contacting your local news, and let them know about how long the car has been in your family. If they are cool they might run a spot on it. Good luck!

Was the car equipped with any sort of theft deterrent (alarm, killswitch, large rabid python)?
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non locking steering wheel ACVWs are so easy to steal. The thief puts a jumper cable from the tail light to the ignition coil to energize the ignition system - gets in and rolls the car to start it and drives away.

Too bad about your car - nice looking - I hope you recover it soon. Intact.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
The non locking steering wheel ACVWs are so easy to steal. The thief puts a jumper cable from the tail light to the ignition coil to energize the ignition system - gets in and rolls the car to start it and drives away.

Too bad about your car - nice looking - I hope you recover it soon. Intact.

That sounds so easy its retarded. I have been throwing around the idea of installing something to shut off the fuel, but am trying to figure a way to hide it extremely well. I'll also take the rotor out if its going to be sitting for any period of time. This thread has somewhat lit a fire under my ass to actually get it done. :2gunfire:
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I have posted it quite a few places to spread the word, but no avail so far. I think I will go around to a few parts stores in my area and show pictures etc to let them know. I'd love to type out every defect and special part the car had on it, but overall it was very simple. Adjustable stock beam, American Eagle polished 5 spokes, stock 40 horse motor with an 019 and old thunderbird header and glass pack, etc. I wish it was more recognizable other than the paint. I'm sure by this time it's already primered or cut up. I hope I can find a lead somewhere. Anything helps, I appreciate keeping an eye out.

Thanks,

Ben
DKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,
Sorry about your loss. Beautiful car. Hope you get it back and someone goes to jail.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain and I hope things turn out well for you on this one.

Again I just have to say I like the idea of cutting the hands off of thieves.
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Again I just have to say I like the idea of cutting the hands off of thieves.

I agree totally. Why not take it another step, and brand their forehead something ugly as well?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two stolen in the 80's, it sucks BIG TIME. Hopefully they will find your's before it gets stripped.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible loss. At the risk of being very non-PC, my mantra has aways been - I despise liars and thieves! Splicing into the tail light wires to power the coil - both creative and cruel at the same time. Honest people don't think of things like this. I've only seen VW's lowered in the rear that much a couple of times in my life. One was on TheSamba a few days back - now yours.

Had an RS Camaro stolen in NYC back in the 70's, so some of the VW's I've owned over the last 40+ years have been equipped with a discreet rocker switch somewhere in the passenger compartment that disabled the switched circuit to the coil. I even got creative with a dune buggy once and ran a series of nine (9) ON-OFF-ON switches that had to be in a certain position to supply power to the coil and push button starter switch. (I never drove that thing when I'd been drinking)

Good luck with your search.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmarcdude wrote:
I have been throwing around the idea of installing something to shut off the fuel, but am trying to figure a way to hide it extremely well.

Best solution I have heard of is to install an electric fuel line solenoid valve hidden somewhere (above the tranny maybe). Use a hidden switch (maybe hidden in plain sight, be creative) to open the solenoid when YOU drive it.

If someone steals it, starts it up, they won't get far. They WILL get about half a mile, using the fuel in the float bowl. But then it will sputter to a stop.

The idea is to lull the thieves into a false sense of security. See, they will have studied where you park ahead of time, and will choose the time of the steal. They will choose a time that seems safe to them.

But once it starts, they make a fast getaway to a major road... and then it will stop, leaving them in the wide open, visible spaces out in public view. So they will drop the car and run.

You may have a square mile to search, but it will be rare they will try to fix it out in the open, where a passing good samaritan or cop can ruin their day.

They wil lfigure it's just another old, unreliable VW and won't try to steal it again
gbfan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you get it back, I had (of all things) a Dodge Neon stolen from my driveway. The cops in my town didn't care one bit and assumed I had insurance. After my car was stolen, it made me think of how nice on-star would have been!

Good luck!
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a locking handle on my decklid, plus am in the process of putting in a Euro steering column...then whenever I park the car, I'll turn my wheels to full lock in one direction. If they really want the car, they will figure a way....I just want them to maybe go to an easier car to steal.
Way sorry for your loss. I've have friends that have had their car stolen too...

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Best solution I have heard of is to install an electric fuel line solenoid valve hidden somewhere (above the tranny maybe). Use a hidden switch (maybe hidden in plain sight, be creative) to open the solenoid when YOU drive it.

If someone steals it, starts it up, they won't get far. They WILL get about half a mile, using the fuel in the float bowl. But then it will sputter to a stop.

The idea is to lull the thieves into a false sense of security. See, they will have studied where you park ahead of time, and will choose the time of the steal. They will choose a time that seems safe to them.

But once it starts, they make a fast getaway to a major road... and then it will stop, leaving them in the wide open, visible spaces out in public view. So they will drop the car and run.

You may have a square mile to search, but it will be rare they will try to fix it out in the open, where a passing good samaritan or cop can ruin their day.

They wil lfigure it's just another old, unreliable VW and won't try to steal it again

Thats exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe an aviation style fuel shut-off solenoid or something. Wire up a combination of multi-position switches in series or something. Hide it in the headliner, under the carpet (both?) or somewhere that nobody would suspect. I had put together a 280z years back, and hid a killswitch in a badass location. On the center console there were two plastic caps that covered "optional" holes. I ended up making a wire hinge, and a small box under it where I mounted a rocker switch. I told my dad, and uncle where the switch was yet they still failed to find it.

Two people tried stealing my car (grew up in Vallejo), and they got it to fire for about two seconds until it died. Once it didn't leave the driveway, and the second time they pushed it around the corner to try figuring it out. They messed up my interior pretty bad, but never found the switch. Little did they know, it was litterally right under their noses! :fist:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to not tell a soul, unless they will be driving the car. Even then, make the switch hidden but an on/off style so you can leave it on for temporary drivers, rather than reveal the secret location to them. It's your secret... loose lips sink ships.
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
mrmarcdude wrote:
I have been throwing around the idea of installing something to shut off the fuel, but am trying to figure a way to hide it extremely well.

If you do this - ANYONE! - please post here so that all us Bug lovers can do it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525849&highlight=stute

http://stutethewonderbug.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Stolen car Reply with quote

Oops, forgot to preview post.
what I said was -if ANYONE does this solenoid thing. Please post here so that I and others can mirror process. BTW, I have a 6v is there a solenoid out there that would work with a 6v.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525849&highlight=stute

http://stutethewonderbug.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark_85226
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 80's I had a hidden electric fuel pump switch on my Vdub, and guess what my car was stolen. I imagine they had trouble about 1/4 mile or so down the road if it wasn't towed. well, I never saw the car again so who knows. Just be careful... nothing is fool proof. Hope your car turns up!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not telling a soul about my setup. So I won't be posting pictures (sorry). I'll look around and see if I can locate a 6v solenoid that would work for your application. I have even thought about converting to an electric fuel pump to be able to shut it off instead of having a solenoid. Still up in the air though.... I can assure you that it will be hard to find even if you know its there (whatever it be). To the OP, any luck yet?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: