Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle vs Thing is speed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklyn thing wrote:
The red marks are a maximum aren't they? I don't really get near them. I try to shift based on the sound of the engine. Isn't that the way to do it? It's prob about 10-22-35 mph on flat roads. When does everybody else shift?

I personally shift before the marks based on sound. I think I typically end up shift around 12mph in first, 20-25 in 2nd, and 30-35 in 4th (for flat roads). I know the marks are a little different between mph and kmh speedometers, but I believe they are meant to act as recommended driving ranges. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the 181 marks are a little off because I think they just used a Beetle speedometer (Beetles have a taller r/p for the 73+ model years).

The 1973 and 1974 owners manuals give 1st gear as 0-18mph, 2nd 6-31, 3rd 15-53, and 4th 28+. They also says that emergency situations can briefly go to 34 in 2nd and 55 in 3rd. They also gives most economical ranges as 9-12 in 2nd, 18-37 in 3rd, and 28-50 in 4th.

I also have a 1978 owners manual that gives 1st 0-30 kmh, 2nd 10-50 kmh, 3rd 25-85 kmh, and 4th 45-115 kmh. No data is given on emergency speeds or most economical speeds.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklyn thing wrote:
The red marks are a maximum aren't they? I don't really get near them. I try to shift based on the sound of the engine. Isn't that the way to do it? It's prob about 10-22-35 mph on flat roads. When does everybody else shift?

My speedo is marked at 15,30,45 mph and that is about where I usually shift.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing runs extremely well and is factory stock....the maximum speed on the highway is a bit over an indicated 60mph....My 71 Super Beetle is also stock except for a Brosol H30/31 carb....it tops out at an indicated 80mph...the Beetle has the autostick trans...I think that the Thing has steeper rear gears than the Beetle...both cars are in fine tune and run great....I take the Beetle on the interstate often...I could never take the thing on the same road because it's not fast enough...go figure....also the thing has little 14" tires and the Beetle has 15" tires Rolling Eyes
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschiffel wrote:
My Thing runs extremely well and is factory stock....the maximum speed on the highway is a bit over an indicated 60mph....My 71 Super Beetle is also stock except for a Brosol H30/31 carb....it tops out at an indicated 80mph...the Beetle has the autostick trans...I think that the Thing has steeper rear gears than the Beetle...both cars are in fine tune and run great....I take the Beetle on the interstate often...I could never take the thing on the same road because it's not fast enough...go figure....also the thing has little 14" tires and the Beetle has 15" tires Rolling Eyes

If it runs "extremely well," you should be doing far better than 60 mph. You said an "indicated 60mph", have you checked with a GPS? You may be going faster.

The day I bought my '74, I drove about 90 miles to get it home. The very tired, stock, original engine ran ok, but was in dire need of a full tune-up and still pulled over 70 mph comfortably on the Southern California freeways. Speed was confirmed by my wife's modern car speedo following me, and GPS sitting next to me on the seat. This was with a hard top on and side curtains removed.

For those who keep bringing up wheel size...the little 14" vs. 15" make NO difference. Overall diameter of the TIRE is the key.
In fact, 12" or 20" rims would not make a difference other than weight. The smaller would have a huge sidewall, while the other would have a rubber band for a tire - assuming they kept the stock diameter that VW intended.
I believe the stock Thing tire and stock Beetle tires were a very similar 25.5".

Transmission gearing is the other major factor. Did the '71 have the stock 4.12 trans or a later 3.88? The later will cruise at a higher fwy speed.
recap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Beetle vs Thing in speed Reply with quote

Well, after fine tuning, new carb. airing up the tires and checking out the wind speed I went back to my hill from 40 years ago.
Here is what I have now. Hitting the hill at the same speed now as back then one person on board the 74 Thing did itself justice. I topped the hill at 50 mph. That is only 3 mph off the beetle speed in 1970. I'm happy and now I can leave things well enough alone !
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklyn thing wrote:
While we're on the topic ,I always thought the thing gearing was high (or low) like a truck. This contributes to its slow acceleration as well as its average gas mileage. Another thing, I have never gotten near the red limit markers on the speedo in each gear at least on flat roads. Am I the only one ? Any thoughts?

I read somewhere (years ago) the standard USA THING without reduction gears had 4.11:1 final drive ratio in the THING. I believe most Bugs have a higher (lower numerically) final drive ratio.

The THING also was designed for OFF Road use, believe me, they do very well, especially for their power to weight ratio.
181īrn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: goin uphill....kinda Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:

it ain't no race car.....its a THING! Laughing

a Thing might not be a race car but a 181 can be if you want it to;)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: