Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Light Switch Failures
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Brake Light Switch Failures Reply with quote

For the second time in 3 years I have blown out both hydraulic brake light switches on my 84 Vanagon.

I am using the higher-wattage brake light bulbs available from a Samba member and also have a 3rd brake light that is a strip of 24 LEDs.

Seems like the thing to do is add a relay as I really like the brighter brake lights. Anything here I'm missing?

Also -- any idea why there are two switches when lights will work even if one has failed? Perhaps the 'brake' light on the dash fails to illuminate if one has failed (don't recall)?

Having 2 switches and thus 2 sources of power somewhat complicates the wiring of the relay (haven't really thought that through) unless I pick up on a point in the harness where the power is down to one wire.

Finally -- for the benefit of future searchers who are sometimes unsure where these swtiches are or how to get at them: Undoing the electrical connections on the left side of the dash and undoing the speedo cable from the back of the head allow the instrument cluster to be lifted well out of the way reveling the two switches:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The the switches themselves can be swapped with the loss of only a few drops of brake fluid and no need to bleed (in my experience).
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: swapping switches.

My recent new MC install on my '88 shows that the reservoir cap vent hole is recessed in the fluid level connector. Tape that and reduce brake fluid flow? (as one would on old style cap)

On my '81 I had a plug contact failure. In my case, the wire fell out and was shorting to ground. Nice.

I imagine you checked, but are the contacts 100% ?

And maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but my guess is that b/c the hydraulics are dual circuits thus there are two chambers in MC, if one circuit fails, other still lights up brake lights?

Just a WAG w/o Bentley in hand, but maybe the two switch wires converge at a connector in dash area? A relay would certainly make sense if parts quality is the issue.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the switches are failing electrically, not hydraulically? I have a hard time believing that some higher wattage bulbs would cause the switches to burn out that fast, given the intermittent nature of brake usage. What is the state of your brake fluid? If the first set failed because they were gunked up with junk (common) and you changed the switches without flushing your fluid, it may have just gunked up the second set quickly. Just a theory though.

If you are set on the relay idea, the switches share a common source of power (red/yellow from fuse Cool, they are just jumpered from one to the other. But this would have zero effect if the cause is hydraulic and not electrical in nature.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the switches with an ohmeter and neither shows continuity when the pedal is depressed. I don't know how one would know whether this is "hydraulic and not electrical in nature" as I think the results would appear the same.

I did jumper the contacts on the plugs and the brake lights came on as they should.

I don't think a relay on the red/yellow would provide any relief as that would still put the full current draw through the switches.

I will look for a common point where those 2 red/black wires come together.

Oh yeah, my brake fluid is clean and refreshed regularly.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant Red/black. They too are just connected together under the dash.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason for two switches is redundancy..if one switch fails you have another..same deal with the dual diagonal brake system.

Having two functioning brake light switches does not increase the electrical load on the contacts..actually it significantly reduces the load on both switches contacts.

Very odd that both switches would fail at the same time. Be sure and replace both switches even if only one is defective.

Some of our aftermarket switch gear has been a real pain. Try and find some German made (not boxed in Germany) switches.

Try the NAPA switch part number ATM 113945515H from the old Altrom inventory. $8.50 and most likely German.

The additional current draw on the higher output bulbs is still fractional..it really should not be burning out your switches.

Porsche used the same brake light switches and they never changed even when they went to a third brake light in the back. A 50% increase in load.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
...Very odd that both switches would fail at the same time...

The brake lights continue to work even with one failed switch -- i.e. it is only when the second switch fails that you find you have a problem.

That sort of tempers the advantages of redundancy.

There is a second wire coming off of both switches but the wiring diagram got a bit obtuse at that point -- possibly the brake warning light fails to illuminate once the first switch fails. I may play with that once I have resolved the problem at hand.

In the end I located the relay on the backside of the LH tail light housing. Easy to get at, not much around there, not too hot, etc. I was wary of doing a lot of grippin' & snippin' in that bowl of spaghetti behind the dash.

Thanks for the tip on the NAPA part.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be over engineering. A 25 watt 12 volt bulb (stock 1157 bulbs are about 21 watt on the brake light filament) only draws 2 amps. Two bulbs and your LED strip you are pulling about 5 amps.

5 amps is very low and hardly needs a relay.

I think you just got a bad bad brake light switch.

There is not a warning bulb for a failed brake lamp switch or failed bulb(s) on a Vanagon.

Rather than a relay, if you are concerned about current draw. Run a 1157 LED brake lamp bulb. It only draws 3 watts and is very, very bright. I have one on my old motorcycle. Very durable.

See the link:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicl...nAodA1sACw

With two of these LED brake lamp bulbs you now have .5 amps (6 watts) rather than 4 amps (50 watts) drawing across your brake light switches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80-84 switches have an extra wire. This is supposed to trigger the brake warning light module on the dash cluster, to warn you if half of the master has pressure and the other half doesn't. Beginning in 85 this was dropped, and a fluid level float switch was added to the reservoir cap instead. The later pressure switches have only 2 pins instead of 3. The dash wiring changed slightly for this with 85, and the brake warning light module changed as well.

Mark

Ahwahnee wrote:
There is a second wire coming off of both switches but the wiring diagram got a bit obtuse at that point -- possibly the brake warning light fails to illuminate once the first switch fails. ....
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
I think you may be over engineering. A 25 watt 12 volt bulb (stock 1157 bulbs are about 21 watt on the brake light filament) only draws 2 amps...

That may be the problem -- I am using 50 watt brake light bulbs (plus the LED third light) -- possibly 9 amps or so.

Once you're that far over the stock set-up it may be a question of how much tolerance is built into those Chinese switches.

I did look for the switches of German origin but they only had them in the 2-prong variety. I had tried some LEDs in the brake lights but didn't seem effective, likely the style I was trying was not a good match for the reflector in the lamp housing.

Anyway, the relay was simple enough to add & I have a benchmark to compare to -- 3 years and 2 months on the last set of switches.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: