Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

westy seat rails/mk2 base?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: westy seat rails/mk2 base? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the seat rails on a westy (1982) are the same as an mk2? (found nothing in the search). Im not sure if the vans have special seat rails because of the swivel.

Reason im asking is i have mk2 bases that would be nice to use recaros in the van with if they fit.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476586&highlight=front+seats

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
hauptmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I was just working on installing mk2 recaros in my van, but the seat rails are totally different.

At least on the mk2 recaros the bases unbolt. The width of the mk2 Recaros bolt holes are about 16", which is wider than the (non-swivel) tracks in my Weekender. I'm rigging something up with steel cross pieces that bolt across the bottom of the recaros and then reusing the rails from disassembling my existing vanagon seats.

I can provide more details if you'd like, but I think others have done the same before me. Go Westy (used to?) sells recaro bases that will bolt right but I believe they are spendy.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the FAQ *IS* your friend!

From section 72:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257868

Plus there are other seat threads too.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great info, thanks for the replys! Hauptmann - i would love to see what you come out with.

I will check out the threads and if not maybe i can find something online that would work. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: