Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Thanks folks --
I got a split decision here where Abscate said polish it and run it. Tbob said do it right, moron! Then he said it a second time? Well that's not exactly what he said... but anyhow. I also asked some of the most reputable and knowledgeable folks on this site via PM. They answered that I should probably do it right as well.

So I messaged them back to let them know I already had it all back together, with a freshly polished shaft and fresh moly grease shoved into the cleaned but old bearing... Embarassed

One said, "Well I guess we'll find out how it lasts then. Razz It'll get noisy long before it fails, could be years, or never."

Another said, "You''ll probably get away with it for a few decades."

I'm 50! I hope in another few decades I'll finally be able to kick this VW sickness. It's not healthy!

Anyhow, I had it all back together late Sunday afternoon with freshly crosshatch-sanded flywheel and pressure plate faces. I rolled down the driveway and went for a spin shifting smoothly and merrily down some old backroads, around the lake at sunset.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ended up at a restaurant for a solo dinner of a 10oz hanger steak, with a fresh mushroom trio over risotto and two slices of parmesan-panko breaded zucchini, with a jalpeño-cilantro margarita Very Happy. The bartender and I nerded out discussing the finer points of differences between Portuguese and Azorean food. But I digress.

The bus ran great.

Seriously, I'd just like to comment here that when I first started fixing VWs, there was the Muir guide and that was it as far as I knew. Then I got a Haynes Manual, (which has my favorite warning, it reads something like: "Warning! Any reference in this manual to a "torch" actually means a flashlight.") I eventually got a Bentley, but most of all I've got the Samba and lifetimes of all your experiences to draw on. This bus went through some rough years of vacuum leaks, misfires and copious asshattery, plus about 15 years of sitting, mostly in a mousy barn. I am pleased it runs as well as it does!

And I plan on getting away with all of this for another few decades!
sunnydog
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Anyone who can pull an engine on milk crates and get the blue and the red on the right side is in tune with their Ass, for it bears them.

About five years ago I put a $25 per hour value on my time for car work, well under market, but since my pro life has too many spread sheets and not enough Dremel tools, I count it as having equal therapeutic value.

I also have nice places to work on cars, but actually enjoy working outside for 10 months of our year upstate.

Once you get that number, you can escape the rabbit hole of rebuilding your entire car every time a clutch cable breaks “ while you are in there” by accepting that you might “ spend” another $75 on an engine drop later but you can “ risk” running a cleaner up part and escaping it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
…About five years ago I put a $25 per hour value on my time for car work…
…Once you get that number, you can escape the rabbit hole of rebuilding your entire car every time a clutch cable breaks “ while you are in there” by accepting that you might “ spend” another $75 on an engine drop later but you can “ risk” running a cleaner up part and escaping it.

…adjusted for inflation, how much did I lose in 2014 when I went to the garage for a timing/carb adjustment and ended the night here? Wink

sunnydog, there's no reason why it shouldn't run great, you've done some great work over the last decade!

See you on the road this summer!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
sunnydog, there's no reason why it shouldn't run great, you've done some great work over the last decade!

As long as I remember not to use a blowtorch to look down the filler tube -- Thanks Haynes manual!

That would definitely throw a spanner in the works!
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Hey Baywindow Fans!
I am doling out updates slow, so very slow. I sent a text to Xevin last night that said, " I should probably post." He sent back, "I probably get a PM a day that says, 'When is Sunnydog going to post?' You need to post, buddy! How will they know how to properly pair a Chilean Carménère with a meal?"

That's true! What goes well with red fruit flavors of raspberry and pomegranate along with the classic notes of green pepper and paprika? Smoked meat and strong cheese, that's what. Now you know. You're welcome.

Anyhow, regarding this old bus, the pilot bearing issue appeared resolved but I also greased up the ball and socket under the shift lever and decided to realign that mechanism. Due to a mishap some decades ago, involving a frozen shift linkage and an ex-girlfriend who pushed too hard on the shifter, the captive nuts under the shifter adjustment plate have been replaced with a backing plate and free floating nuts. This means I simultaneously need someone above and below to get my nuts off... Very Happy

So once I got that all back together I torqued it to bookspec, but when I drove it away, I got about a half mile down the road and entirely lost first and second gear. That modification requires more torque. So I did 30mph through the tiny forest roads in 3rd gear back to my house, then the only small gear I had to get back up the driveway was reverse... No photos or video of that, unfortunately, because that was an impressive feat of daring. Or stupidity. Or both. I eventually got that shifter plate re-aligned and torqued to a much higher spec and it is now all good and I am shifting merrily along the roads.

Here's what I do have pictures of: The other weekend, Mrs. Sunnydog, Daughter #1 and Rosemary the Nervous Doberman and I set out to go have a beer at the pub. Halfway to the pub, daughter #1 says she forgot her ID. She always gets carded,so instead of the pub, we stopped at the store and picked up a sixer of Breakside "Stay West" I also got some snacks. We rolled down to a city park along side the Washougal River and opened up the slider:

The river was right outside the door

We listened to Johnny Cash and hung out for two hours, eating chili-lime bison jerky, dolmas, smoked gouda and a kalamata olive/roasted fig spread on a fresh baguette. We discussed it and decided to take the recommendation of Breakside Brewing and Stay West. We traveled no further east.

Can you drink in public in Washington State? No. Do I recommend or endorse this hooliganish behavior? No. Was it fun? Damn Straight it was a good time. We let the sun go down and it set over the river in gold. The breeze blew through the open jalousie carrying the sweet smell of cottonwoods.
On our way home I stopped in grassy field, and caught the last rays of bluehour silhouetting the bus.

Dammit, that taillight's out again...
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
Hey Baywindow Fans!

How will they know how to properly pair a Chilean Carménère with a meal?"

That's true! What goes well with red fruit flavors of raspberry and pomegranate along with the classic notes of green pepper and paprika? Smoked meat and strong cheese, that's what. Now you know. You're welcome.

Anyhow, regarding this old bus, the pilot bearing issue appeared resolved but I also greased up the ball and socket under the shift lever and decided to realign that mechanism[.....boring details of mechanical workings....] This means I simultaneously need someone above and below to get my nuts off... Very Happy

.....No photos or video of that,......impressive feat of daring. Or stupidity. Or both.
.....so instead of the pub, we stopped at the store and picked up a sixer of Breakside "Stay West" I also got some snacks.
Can you drink in public in Washington State? No. Do I recommend or endorse this hooliganish behavior? No. Was it fun? Damn Straight it was a good time. We let the sun go down and it set over the river in gold. The breeze blew through the open jalousie carrying the sweet smell of cottonwoods.
Dammit, that taillight's out again

This entire post is the epitome of why I love this thread.

And just to remind you of your own words re: the hooliganish behavior:

sunnydog wrote:

Drove down to the Columbia River for the sunset there, ran a few stop signs on the way and then parked in a handicapped spot. (I'm a bad, bad sunnydog like that. Also a bad role model for my children. Daughter #1 told me so herself.)

Bad Sunnydog? Maybe Wink
Good father? Definitely, brother. Cool
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
Due to a mishap some decades ago, involving a frozen shift linkage and an ex-girlfriend who pushed too hard on the shifter and the captive nuts under the shifter, this means I simultaneously needed someone above and below to get my nuts off... Very Happy

Think After all these years, a happy ending Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Sunnydog! Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

That Tailight is Dad winking at you again

Love Rosemary, my Dogs are getting up there in age and there is nothing quite like an old hound for company
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Abscate: Thanks for your metaphor but it was pointed out to me that it was the OTHER taillight that was out. So probably this is just due to regular VW poor grounds or contacts that need some polishing, rather than the accumulated spiritual weight of my ancestors.

Last Thursday was the first of the month and the local townie aircoolers got together for a meetup at a pub. We ate pizza and beer and it was good to see those folks. Unfortunately I am missing the Maupin Father's Day campout and all the prep that happens here in the Portland area as everyone dials in the equipment for the desert run. Crying or Very sad

When I left the pub I found this spot under a streetlight for a cool moody blue pic:

sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Mostly a quiet and simple summer so far without any long trips or adventures -- AsiaB3 came through PDX awhile back in late June and there was a Lucky Lab event that involved beer. He's got pictures in his 2019 Aircooled Tour thread of the shenanigans but here's 2 again:

In his own impressive feat of daring/stupidity he attempted to arrive at my house by reversing up my driveway, but quickly abandoned the idea. He camped in my yard and we had tasty food, a bonfire and some refreshing beverages but did no direct work on my bus. The pilot bearing is fine so far, and shifting is smooth but my clutch is weird and very hard. I'm gonna need to pull the motor again and examine the clutch diaphragm fingers and everything else clutch-assembly-wise. It just feels like there's no spring travel.

Had many nice evening drives this summer with beautiful sunsets!

followed by time at the pub libating...

Found some nice places to take photos:

What's that sign say? No Parking at any time? Way out here at the edge of this grassy field, really?

Attended a local air coolers get together with a nice representative turnout: splitty, beetle, my camper, 2 things, a square and 2 more baywindows that were out on the street so did not get in the panorama photo.

More sunsets! Dammit, more signs, too! "No parking anywhere at any time, especially you in that bus! And no having any fun either!"

My favorite Woody Guthrie verse says:
"As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said 'No Trespassing.'
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me."

But I digress!

I finally got my passenger door outer latch mechanism unstuck after 30 years, so now it is smoothly openable. No point in rushing into these repairs, right! I also lubed up various squeaky bits in the interior -- now those items are quiet and have less character. Polished up my grounds and waggled the wiring just so -- now the taillights are back in business.

Hope all y'all are having good adventures and fun in your buses! I hiked into a mountain lake and went fishing for my birthday but no bus action. We drove along Point Reyes, Tomales Bay and Bodega Bay, ate fresh seafood and saw the Greatest Sunset of All Time, but that was in a Subaru. I should get a real bus adventure camping trip booked on the calendar before summer slips away into fall! Keep them baywindows rolling!
sunnydog
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

What a fabulous thread!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Is that last picture suppose to be of your "Working" taillights? Shocked
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

That's the joke!Razz I'm glad somebody got it...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
I should get a real bus adventure camping trip booked on the calendar before summer slips away into fall! Keep them baywindows rolling!
sunnydog

Still time Wink

https://www.descendonbend.com/photos

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

That's the joke!Razz I'm glad somebody got it...

lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Hello Baywindow fans! Set your wayback machine for a story from what I think was 1996. I had fairly recently reacquired this old bus from my friend "T", and planned to started college that fall. We agreed we should go on a long roadtrip before he moved away and I focused on classes.

So we headed off! East from Portland OR up the Columbia River Gorge and towards Spokane WA. I recall going through Sandpoint, ID then maybe took Hwy 2 over to Kalispell MT and into West Glacier. Through Glacier Park and the Going-to-the-sun Highway, then north towards Calgary. I've got a few pictures of these places, but none with the bus in them, so you all are out of luck.

As we arrived at the border crossing, and carload after carload of everyone else was being waved through, we were motioned into a side inspection bay and asked a series of increasingly investigative questions. "How long will you be in Canada?" "Where are you heading?" "How much money are you carrying with you?" They finally asked us to step out and they separated us into 2 cubicles and questioned us independently -- But I could overhear the questions from the other cubicle, so when they asked T, "Why do you have an FBI number?" and he replied "Uh... I went to Evergreen State College?" I nearly started laughing out loud. They eventually asked us to come back outside and sit down while they opened every cabinet, bag, and container we had. We had no contraband except a few beers in a cooler, so they eventually let us go on our way.

After Calgary we turned west towards Banff then rolled north on the Icefields Parkway. Beautiful landscapes and wildlife! We stopped and took pictures but the only one I have with the bus in it is this:

We stopped at Lake Louise and had run out of film for T's camera. He went into the tourist store in the Lodge and brought a 24 exposure roll up to the counter. The lady rang it up and said, "That'll be $27 dollars please." I had bought a 24-exposure roll before I left for 9 dollars, so he was seriously chapped. We continued north towards Jasper and the bus developed an inability to idle. Some mysterious vacuum leak meant that the bus would die if we let the RPM fall below about 1000. We checked it several times but couldn't find any loose hoses; finally I bumped the idle shutoff solenoid and noticed it had somehow loosened and backed out about a turn. Got that tightened up and we were back in business.

At Jasper we cut south towards Kamloops and then on 1-West to to Cache Creek. Somewhere out in those rolling farmlands I snapped this picture of T with the "Look Ma! no hands!" driving technique:

Note that this trip was taken after the nose of the bus had been flattened when T hit a deer, and so the rubber seal at the upper corner of the driver's door did not align anymore and roadspeed caused an annoying whistle. You can see we fixed that by closing a bandanna in the door to fill the gap. You can also see that at that time I had the side mirrors oriented vertically, which is wrong. Everyone knows they should be horizontal, no question about it.

We turned south down the Thompson River then joined the Fraser River at Lytton, and descended the Fraser River Canyon toward BC, but took a left at Abbostford and crossed back into the US at Sumas at 2 in the morning or so. Absolutely no hassle returning stateside! This portion of the trip took us about a week.

We continued driving all night to Anacortes, WA then about 10AM got on a ferry out to Lopez Island, where we spent the second week playing golf on the little 9-hole local course by the airport. We hoped some back-to back rounds would improve our game, but T did worse and worse each day. One the third day, after a particularly bad drive, he simply grabbed his clubs and left the course entirely. I finished out the round all by myself. A few more relaxing days eating good food and taking easy seaside hikes, and we then took the ferry back out, headed south and returned to the Portland area after 2 weeks on the road!

Second to final note: I know there were more photos of the bus on the film that T bought at Lake Louise, but something went wrong with that film and months later it would not rewind when I borrowed his camera for a photo class. He said, "I don't even know what's on that film, so just open it up and load the new film in. So I did, and it wasn't even until a few months after that we realized that the film I ruined was the $27 Lake Louise tourist price film with bus photos...

Final note: T is still a good buddy of mine and lives in LA. We climbed Mount St. Helens a few years back and I've taken him on a few fairweather bus drives when he comes North to visit family and friends. This wordy long post about a 2-week, 2000-mile road trip, with only 2 bus photos, is dedicated to him and 33 years of good friendship!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Gosh I’ve been driving with my mirrors wrong for forty years? Well maybe I’ll move them in another forty years..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

On Friday, the weatherpeople in my neck of the woods said:

"Saturday will be beautiful blue skies and 73 degrees. This will essentially be the last day of summer as Sunday a front is coming in with rain and unseasonably cool weather and then some more rain, and we might not see a sunny day like this again for a long time..."

Yeah you know the autumnal equinox is actually Monday Sept 23, but that last sunny Saturday was where it was gonna be at -- Where it was really happening!

I had a meeting that ran from 830 to 1200, but after that I drove north to Avery's aircooled to go parts hunting. My clutch is still acting odd and I know some of the fingers on the pressure plate are wonky and out of alignment. While I was at Avery's, I asked about distributors and they let me dig through the bins. Buried in the bottom of the second bin I found it! A not-so-beat-or-rusty Bosch 211 905 205Q 1600 bus distributor!

Does the vacuum can work? Let me suck the nipples! Very Happy They both work! Wait does it even have the right can with the "853" on the arm? IT DOES!

Sweet! I saunter up nonchalantly.

"Hey, how much?"
"Does the vacuum can work?"
"Yeah it does."
"Ahh... $75"
"Okay."

Dammit I should've haggled. Whatever, Avery's is good people. Take my money.

Driving southbound towards home, spacing out, I suddenly realize IT IS THE 21st of SEPTEMBER! You know what that means, right?!

Do you remember? The 21st night of September
Love was changing the mind of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away...

Link

You know how it's fun to lie to tiny kids and tell them the world actually was only in black and white, like in old photos, until suddenly the world got colors around the 1960s? I would further like to believe that most of the 1970s actually looked the special effect Earth Wind and Fire used in that video. Laughing

Ba dee ya - say do you remember
I drove and did some errands and drove some more and finally sunset was happening. I came around a curve with the low sun behind and timed this photo to get the bus shadow stretching out in front.

Ba dee ya - dancing in september
I drove to my favorite pub for a Red Zepplin amber ale.
I drove to a great restaurant to have a charcuterie plate and a Moscow Mule with house-made rosemary-infused vodka.
I stopped in to a tiny jazz club to listen to a piano player do some standards.

On the way home I had my windows down, soaking it all up and savoring it. Cool
This morning, I was woken by the sound of rain. Rolling Eyes ...and it was the 22nd.

No worries though!
Ba dee ya - never was a cloudy day!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Westy -- bought new in London by my father, rolls again! Reply with quote

Who doesn’t love Earth Wind & Fire. Good times.

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: