Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 T3 SQB body on a 69 SQB frame
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RATTRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: 67 T3 SQB body on a 69 SQB frame Reply with quote

I am in the process of trying to make my 67 SQB body work on my 69 frame. Anyone done this, have any advice, pics etc...

Thanks to all!

69/67 SQB's... That's all I got.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 67 T3 SQB body on a 69 SQB frame Reply with quote

RATTRP wrote:
I am in the process of trying to make my 67 SQB body work on my 69 frame. Anyone done this, have any advice, pics etc...

Thanks to all!

Are you going to keep the Swing Axle set up? Or do you want to convert to IRS?

If you want to convert, then you can either modify the SA rear subframe (bolts on) to IRS by cutting and welding in IRS trailing arms and mounts, and changing to the IRS spring plates. See Brent's Fastback build thread on here, or the other thread showing how to convert one.

Or you can cut and weld in the IRS rear engine hanger mounts to the body. I've found this way to be easier, as I converted my 65 Notch to IRS using this method. You can also keep the very rear mount (stock 67) in place too, as this will help align the engine when you do the body mounts. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
RATTRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I had no idea what I was going to do, I have cut the IRS rear engine hanger mounts out of the 69' body in hopes that I could weld them in on the 67' body.
My main concern in doing this is getting everything aligned properly in the process of welding in the hanger mounts. With no real reference as to where they should go on the 67 body, that was my ultimate hang up! LOL

I very much appreciate the info, maybe I will see if I can get a shop to weld these in for me. The only AirCooled VW shop I know of in my area is Lyle Cherry's, but I would assume any experienced welder could handle up on this...

69/67 SQB's... That's all I got.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATTRP wrote:
Thanks for the info... I had no idea what I was going to do, I have cut the IRS rear engine hanger mounts out of the 69' body in hopes that I could weld them in on the 67' body.
My main concern in doing this is getting everything aligned properly in the process of welding in the hanger mounts. With no real reference as to where they should go on the 67 body, that was my ultimate hang up! LOL

What I did was mock everything up on mine. I had the body mounted to the chassis, engine AND trans in place, and used a floor jack to set the engine height (made sure the stock dual carb air cleaner could come off) and I also used the rear mount to help center the engine. I also already had the engine hanger bar in place, and just worked out where the mounts would go. I then tack welded them in place, and removed the engine for welding and painting. I found that I had to trim a couple of pieces of body side engine surround tin, to get the mounts in place. But then, I used Squareback mounts in my Notch. Shocked I flipped them over, and side for side to get them to fit though. I also ended up adding 2 spacers under each engine hanger mount (the bolt on part), so I could change the mounts IF I ever needed to. This was all done in my garage. Sorry, but no photos of the process, as I was too busy just doing the job. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: