Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buy a Bay Window or Vanagon for a family camper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decision is personal, but simple. If you think that STYLE is the most important factor - above safety, power, comfort, reliability, interior space, handling and ease of operation - AND you feel that the style of the bay bus so suits you that you MUST drive one, then the bay bus is the choice to make. If you feel that STYLE is not the most important factor in your vehicle choice OR you feel that the style of the bay bus is not EXACTLY what you need then choose a vanagon. The vanagon is better than the bus in every way that it is different except that it weighs more. Personally I don't find the styling all that different but inasmuch as it is different, I vastly prefer the style of the vanagon over the bus. This is coming from someone who has owned and extensively worked on both.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the early Bays. I'd take a Vanny over a late Bay in a heartbeat. They're all Type-2's though and I wave at 'em all, we're all in the same family.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Bus - they are more fun -

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and drive both. If possible, go to local shows and club meetings and get an up close look at them.
I've had one Vanagon (Rivi), and did not like it. Nothing against Vanagons, it just didn't "feel" right. On paper it looked great, but I mesh better with bays. Early bays especially, but adding in safety factors and interior set-up a late bay makes me happy. In the end I have to like what I drive or else I can't enjoy the restoration/maintenance experience.

Oh, and I'd wave back at a Vanagon, Ferrari or Fiesta. Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, looks like i stirred the shit pretty good Evil or Very Mad truth be told, i usually wave. vanagon's are nice for sure. my buddy had a automatic that he beat the piss out of.

fwiw, in the unlikley event i ever choose to procure a vanagon, it would be an engine swap for sure. the cooling/head issues for a vanagon are enough to keep me away.

why drive something "modern" if every 60K you are into it for heads etc?

there are very few vanagons out here and when they do pop up for sale, every last one of them has cooling issues, or leaky heads. no thanks

i guess what i'm saying is i wouldn't kick one out of the driveway, but i wouldn't pay for one either

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buy a Bay Window or Vanagon for a family camper? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
spiritwarrior wrote:
Looking to buy a low mileage bay window or vanagon configured as a camper.

There are probably two low mileage Bay Window buses left in the world and a few hundred low mileage Vanagons. Either way it is going to be a quite a search to find a good one.

why do i feel you speak of westfabulous?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wow, looks like i stirred the shit pretty good Evil or Very Mad truth be told, i usually wave. vanagon's are nice for sure. my buddy had a automatic that he beat the piss out of.

fwiw, in the unlikley event i ever choose to procure a vanagon, it would be an engine swap for sure. the cooling/head issues for a vanagon are enough to keep me away.

why drive something "modern" if every 60K you are into it for heads etc?

there are very few vanagons out here and when they do pop up for sale, every last one of them has cooling issues, or leaky heads. no thanks

i guess what i'm saying is i wouldn't kick one out of the driveway, but i wouldn't pay for one either

The waterboxer gets a bad rep. If you want that vw type1 chirp but in a reliable 90 ish hp package then there's no other choice. Mine has 250,000 miles on it and keeps on ticking. The parts that fail are replacable with improved crap. I have all my engine plastics and steel tubes replaced with stainless for around 250.00. Once I get 300.00 more saved up I'll spring for the gowesty thermostat housing and then feel confident enough for interstate travel. Keep coolant and oil in them and they live forever.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKILLS< where did u get the 'facts" u just said of Vanagons,dream it, or the internet'truth' source?? Having owned 5, 1 for 12 yrs/350k+, 1/10yrs and others for at least 3yrs, my opinion of 'yours' is mostly 'bullshit. Been a bay owner, drug it home, refurbed and froze my a== off inwinter and took 2 to handle it in a good crosswind. Diff kinds for diff people, u makes your choice.my 2-cts.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
SKILLS< where did u get the 'facts" u just said of Vanagons,dream it, or the internet'truth' source?? Having owned 5, 1 for 12 yrs/350k+, 1/10yrs and others for at least 3yrs, my opinion of 'yours' is mostly 'bullshit. Been a bay owner, drug it home, refurbed and froze my a== off inwinter and took 2 to handle it in a good crosswind. Diff kinds for diff people, u makes your choice.my 2-cts.

You froze your ars off in Tennessee?? Confused

420GOAT wrote:
aircooled is fun and very reliable but slow.
water cooled is practical and safer but not fun or cool just driving....sorry Vanagon dudes...your shit aint cool. i dont care what you do...its still a Vanagon!!

I have to agree! Very Happy
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everybody waves at everybody in NM. out of state Harley riders only wave back at other Harley riders. insecure male tourists think you're waving at their wife.

smart alecks drive with their fingers on top of the steering wheel and extend them up at the last possible moment. if the other guy waved, you waved back; you're cool. if he didn't wave, you waved at him; he's a dick.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day some motorcyclists gave me the cycle-wave, extending their left arms out as I passed. I was honored! Air-Cooleds Unite!

I was riding in my friend's convertible Miata a few weeks back. We passed another Miata and they each waved at eachother. I was like "how cute! Miata's wave too!"

In college I met a dude with a Mustang. We were both engineers - he was conservative, I had the longest hair in all my classes. After hanging out a bit the dude was like "Buses are cool. When two Mustangs meet at a light, they drag race. When two Buses meet at a light, they wave."

I might wave to a Westy Vanagon, but only a Westy.

My neighbor, after seeing all the fun I have with my Westy, bought a Eurovan Winnebago. We both know who has the cooler car! Cool Very Happy
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it with any VW, if the person is paying attention, it doesnt matter if they are in a new jetta, a mk2, or a splitty, they still throw up a peace sign or wave Very Happy first 2 years i drove my bus i waved at every vw owner...now i save it for aircooolers, but still Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many members of Samba, I too have owned both; roughly 6 Bay Window campers of various vintages and a 1985 Vanagon Westy. Truth be told, the Vanagon is a superior product in almost every way, except for looks of course. I still regret selling my Vanagon Westy. Can't say the same about my Bays.

I currently own a ’75 ASI camper. However, it will be my last Bay Window. A Vanagon Syncro with Subaru conversion is pretty much Nirvana in my mind. No other vehicle on earth even begins to compare.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling everybody is discussing this for nothing. The OP has one post count, this one, and hasn't been heard from since, so he might be long gone. LOL
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
I have a feeling everybody is discussing this for nothing. The OP has one post count, this one, and hasn't been heard from since, so he might be long gone. LOL

Actually I used a pseudonym just to ruffle some feathers... Twisted Evil Laughing

Not really, but sometimes I wonder about the original intent of some of these posts...
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called trolling! Razz
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we got everyone's view point can we move back to the topic at hand?
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
Now that we got everyone's view point can we move back to the topic at hand?

Which, what is better to feed a family of five, apples or oranges? Laughing

Last edited by Batan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Montana74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for what to buy, it was stated that either in low milage will be hard to find, so just buy the first one you find, that suits your needs!
As for waving, I wave to everyone! Lots of folks in boring cars wave to me, and I always wave back! I feel that when in my Bay or Beetle, I "Gotta represent" and I am happy to be the nice guy!
You never know how many VWs they may have anyway. They may have 1 of each kind!! Or more!

edit: also, the folks in the Vanagon are a LOT more likely to be the ones who stop and help me when I am broken down on the side of the road, as opposed to the folks in the Escalade Wink
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Hawaii and I have a Vanagon hardtop here. I have shipped it interisland and used it for camping. In heavy rain it is stuffy and confining, but comfortable and pleasant near the ocean with the slider open. The Vanagon has had some mysterious problems, but I've cleaned grounds, replaced fuel lines, and thrown parts at it.

I also have a '69 camper at my parent's house in CA. I plan to drive to the east coast next year and am planning to purchase a Vanagon poptop weekender. The '69 camper has been an excellent vehicle for skiing in the Western US. In thirty years 98% reliable. Not warm on the road, but cozy overnight in a snowstorm.

I'm usually a solo traveler, but for the comfort and safety of passengers I would prefer to drive a Vanagon.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: