Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1.8T
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Dave - Didn't you have the early 150 hp 1.8T to start with? If so, I'd opt for a chip to get me to 200hp as well.

SAH has dyno charts regarding the SS exhaust = +20hp. If you haven't met him, Stephan has the most integrity of any mechanic I've ever met. I don't think he'd fudge the numbers.

Per the website...
ECU upgrade = +39 hp / 68 ft-lb of torque (http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonConversions/18TOptionalAddons.aspx)

So that means...
Exhaust upgrade = +20 hp, 8 ft-lb of torque?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Dave - Didn't you have the early 150 hp 1.8T to start with? If so, I'd opt for a chip to get me to 200hp as well.

SAH has dyno charts regarding the SS exhaust = +20hp. If you haven't met him, Stephan has the most integrity of any mechanic I've ever met. I don't think he'd fudge the numbers.
Yes I agree Stephan is very truthful and unpretentious. I am happily corrected, but still wondering if you are looking just at the exhaust. The exhaust is normally upgraded in order to run more boost2 but if it gets 20 HP just from the exhaust that's great.

Anyway, my point was more that a stage 1 chip gives a ton of power with no hardware changes, and no noise increase and minimal cost. I could even be wrong about the noise level, who knows.

I did have a 150 hp version so my starting point was different. But the APR stage one chip takes both engine up to 200+HP and 240+ Ft lbs torque. That is quite an increase for either version and it felt perfect for my camper.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

Yes I agree Stephan is very truthful and unpretentious. I am happily corrected, but still wondering if you are looking just at the exhaust. The exhaust is normally upgraded in order to run more boost2 but if it gets 20 HP just from the exhaust that's great.

Anyway, my point was more that a stage 1 chip gives a ton of power with no hardware changes, and no noise increase and minimal cost. I could even be wrong about the noise level, who knows.

I did have a 150 hp version so my starting point was different. But the APR stage one chip takes both engine up to 200+HP and 240+ Ft lbs torque. That is quite an increase for either version and it felt perfect for my camper.

Stephan and I discussed HP options for my auto before the build. He said the standard 1.8T = 180hp and the SS exhaust would bring it to 200hp even. He did not recommend that I chip it to 240Hp, however, I think he is experimenting with that now on someone else's van. I'm 100% satisfied with the power I have and don't desire more especially if reliability is sacrificed for it. That experiment is for another guinea pig Wink. Dave, was your van auto or manual? Not sure I want to push 240+ hp on an auto trans. 200 is plenty. We'll see how it goes with the one he's building now.

As for the noise... My SS exhaust can be a bit noisy (but not at all obnoxious) at certain rpms. The good news is that 90-95% of the time it's a non-issue including highway cruising speeds of 65-80 mph. Usually the exhaust is only noisy under HEAVY acceleration getting up to speed.

SAH Pricing for reference:

SAH SS Exhaust = $1950 CA Legal
$ 1450 non-CA

Stage 1 Chip $760
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

Maybe things have changed, but as of about 6 months ago, if you had one of the early 1.8ts, you could not get the apr chip.

There are other chip companies of course,but apr told me no.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Maybe things have changed, but as of about 6 months ago, if you had one of the early 1.8ts, you could not get the apr chip.

There must have been a miscommunication. They have had the chip for the AEB for a long time. I bought mine a couple years ago.

Maybe the disconnect was that the chip for the AEB is a physical chip. The later ECUs can be flashed. The other thing about the AEB, it can only get a stage 1 chip, unlike the others that can be boosted higher. And it isn't programmable, i.e. switching back and forth to stock tune/chip tune.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

Have the chip, exhaust, and a few other performance goodies none of which came from Stephen. love it

APR has sales all the time so id go direct for the tune. $300 (stock, stage1, valet modes) lockout/antintheft function is a pain in the butt with a stock cruise stalk IMHO but it came with it, we just don't use it.

The exhaust can be done for around $500-700 bucks (depending where you live) from any exhaust shop worth their weight. and yes there was a noticeable torque increase and a nice mellow tone.

My boost peaks @20 psi and levels off around 16ish (lightweight aluminum pulleys, 2.0 coil packs, upgraded diverter valve, gates carbon timing belt, silicone turbo inlet pipe, custom K&N filter/intake.

No clutch upgrade, stock brakes, sometimes I feel like Ricki Bobby and I wanna go fast. Getting him up to 100 mph is effortless (113 fastest I've gone via scanguage)

trans temp 170-195 depending on how I'm feeling

A few pics on our grammy account @syncrostyle
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
levi wrote:

There must have been a miscommunication. They have had the chip for the AEB for a long time. I bought mine a couple years ago.

Maybe the disconnect was that the chip for the AEB is a physical chip. The later ECUs can be flashed. The other thing about the AEB, it can only get a stage 1 chip, unlike the others that can be boosted higher. And it isn't programmable, i.e. switching back and forth to stock tune/chip tune.

Unitronic can flash an AEB ecu. I believe GIAC can as well.

My chipped AEB (uni) runs and drives great, even at 220k miles (in an A4 Quattro). I did install the DV from the Audi TT. I did eventually get a tectonics tuning exhaust for it to replace the rotting OE unit, but I still have a stock-sized downpipe.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

More research, more ideas....now I'm thinking I should just get the APR chip and do the peanut oil treatment (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642324) on the mild steel exhaust they supply Laughing . But really, even if the mild steel lasted me 10 years, then its probably worth it to wait and do a stainless down the road. Buy the chip now and enjoy gobs of power at a fraction of the price of a new stainless exhaust.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:
davevickery wrote:
levi wrote:

Unitronic can flash an AEB ecu. I believe GIAC can as well.

My chipped AEB (uni) runs and drives great, even at 220k miles (in an A4 Quattro). I did install the DV from the Audi TT. I did eventually get a tectonics tuning exhaust for it to replace the rotting OE unit, but I still have a stock-sized downpipe.

Yes that's what I came up with also.
Apr said they no longer support the early platform 1.8t
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

Has anyone here done this install with out the expensive kit?
I can get a complete car with a 140k engine for $300 and I know I'll have to spend money on mounts and what not. I can budget about $2000 for the whole project. Is that doable?

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

It can certainly be done but you have to be able to fabricate, wire, and customize on your own. Check out my "50* 1.8t conversion details" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
It can certainly be done but you have to be able to fabricate, wire, and customize on your own. Check out my "50* 1.8t conversion details" thread.

That is the thread I have been looking for! Applause Thank you for directing me there.
So if I can ask you a few questions...
Do you have a material list and any kind of drawings for your engine mounts?
Would the stock tranny from a gas vanagon work, or would the shaft need to be cut?
I'll probably think of some more...

I would probably buy an adapter kit from KEP. The van I have is a 1982 Gas air cooled vanagon camper, just fyi
Thanks for your help!

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

If you plan to do it using the diesel bell housing, ask any questions on that thread to keep things more organized.

No list on any of it. I did use a stock Vanagon transmission on that build, just changed the bell and shorten the input shaft.

Check out my "can the 1.8t run backward" thread for another one done under $2k and giving me a 5 speed.

Check out my "project Quattrosyncro" thread for another one under $2k giving me 4wd and a 5 speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

In the process of installing a 1.8t (AWP) with the SAH kit, and have a couple questions was hoping someone on here knew.

1. For a non-A/C van, what serpentine belt fits the 1.8t without the A/C compressor? And did you install an extra pulley in place of the compressor?

2. For an '85 or older van, what did you use for upper and lower radiator hoses that attach the 1.8t to the hard pipes? The ones provided with the kit are both way too long. Anyone find the right size hoses from your local parts store?

3. Does anyone else notice the hard fuel lines extremely close to the back of the engine bay sheet metal? Its a tight fit!

4. Is a VAG-COM necessary for a throttle adaptation, or have people been successful using other obd-2 scanners?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

Running Man, I cannot answer 1 and 2, you should call or email Stephan, he sometimes takes a little while to answer because he is busy, but he has always responded and would know. The fuel lines are within 2" of the lip of the engine compartment but should be slightly lower than the lip which gives you a little more clearance underneath the lip. Vag com would be necessary for throttle adaptation, you can calibrate the throttle by just leaving the key in the ignition in the on position for a minute or so.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
Running Man, I cannot answer 1 and 2, you should call or email Stephan, he sometimes takes a little while to answer because he is busy, but he has always responded and would know. The fuel lines are within 2" of the lip of the engine compartment but should be slightly lower than the lip which gives you a little more clearance underneath the lip. Vag com would be necessary for throttle adaptation, you can calibrate the throttle by just leaving the key in the ignition in the on position for a minute or so.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks, I will try Stephan again, but wanted to put it out to the greater 1.8t community to see if anyone had a solution. Biggest thing right now is figuring out the right size serpentine belt and coolant hoses. I think I can bend the fuel line downward a bit to allow the soft lines to fit. And I don't have a vag com so I'll have to bring it into a local shop for that step.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

Running man, look here http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator for a list of someone near you with a vag com, they will be able to do your throttle body adaptation and you get to meet a fellow dub enthusiast.
El Sabroso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

Running Man, did you get your serpentine belt squared away?

I have an '84 w/o AC and had the 1.8t conversion (SAH) done over the summer.
El Sabroso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

I left the AC compressor in place (hoping for a future AC install). The van doesn't have power steering but the donor motor came with a PS pump...I took it off and found a dummy pulley to mount so I could run the stock serpentine belt...not seeing it on their site at the moment but it's eeaengineering.com.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The 1.8T Reply with quote

El Sabroso wrote:
I left the AC compressor in place (hoping for a future AC install). The van doesn't have power steering but the donor motor came with a PS pump...I took it off and found a dummy pulley to mount so I could run the stock serpentine belt...not seeing it on their site at the moment but it's eeaengineering.com.

I ended up keeping the AC compressor on there even though I don't have AC. Serpentine belt provided fit that way. Maybe one day I'll replace it with a custom bracket and pulley.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 22

Jump to: