Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collecting Parts for a 1904 build for a late model Beetle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Collecting Parts for a 1904 build for a late model Beetle Reply with quote

Questions I have for a 1904 motor I'm collecting parts for.
What do you guys think about using Dual Weber 40 IDFs?
For me I'd feel more comfortable buying these carbs and using Aircooled.net's set up service.
What about once I get this thing put together, I've got new carbs, and a new SVDA distributor,
How do I get this thing started, and break in the cam, but not blow this thing up.
I feel like I understand the cam break in part (run it at 2500 rpm for 20 minutes),
but does that mean I just have to hope for the best with the initial carb tuning, and static timing on the distributor?

Here are the parts I've collected:
Engle 110 cam, and lifters
5.325" short rods (H beams) balanced
Crank Gear & Spacer Set
Stock size Santana Pulley
Bus Pressure Plate
AA 90.5 p/c's balanced
ACN's SVDA Distributor
Full Flow Oil Filter Kit
AH case, drilled, tapped, for full flow, Align bored, and bored for 90.5's coming back from Bugformance so then I can order bearings.
1.5 qt. deep sump
100% Stock VW doghouse tin set.
Planning to buy:
74mm DPR crank
DPR lightened flywheel
Then get the rotating mass dynamically balanced
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Engle cam and lifters I suggest you follow the printed break in instructions that come with the Engle cam.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I saw that was above and beyond were the H beams. If you have them already , no worries use em. Dual 40 idfs are perfect, but you dont list what heads you have or plan to get. Setting up carbs are easy if you just read up on the process. It pays later to learn when you do have problems on the road you can fix/adjust your own issues. Carbs do fall out of wack and require adjusting af mixture or idles every now and then. Not logical to send them in or have a shop retune them all the time. Just saying... Like Dave already said follow the cams instructions. Everything else has to be set up prior.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the short H-beams are strong, balanced, and will "fix" any deck height increase from the 74 crank. They also require less clearancing than "stock" rods do. It all boils down to money.

If you have no money but have time, clearance the case yourself. If you have more money and no time, buy the H-beams. Both approaches work fine.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: