Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Articles About Vanagons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

I met this couple on the Oregon coast one weekend about a year and a half ago. They were extremely nice. I don't understand the criticism from those here. I think it's awesome they found a way to earn while living the lifestyle they chose. I bought my first van at age 32, twenty or so years ago, and if it was possible then I would have loved to do the same thing. More power to them.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Gas costs money and nobody is giving either away for free. Selling kine veggie burritos is no long an option. More power to them.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

I have been following this couple's account for a while now and have seen it go from them supporting themselves by doing online work out of the van to the current situation where they are supporting themselves off the avails of their online "celebrity".

What I find amusing here is that I never would have heard of them if it weren't for a post in this very forum back in January 2015 (3rd post on Page 2) - we reap what we sow, I guess:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

That article seems to have resulted in a lot of flack for them but as I type this from the computer at my 9to5 instead of a laptop in my van down by the river I can't say I'm not envious of the lives they have created for themselves...
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

a2d2 wrote:
....as I type this from the computer at my 9to5 instead of a laptop in my van down by the river I can't say I'm not envious of the lives they have created for themselves...

I think it's easy to romanticize full time road tripping, the problem with it IMO is that it largely eliminates the possibility of developing long term consistent friendships. Seeing the world is great, I've done a fair bit of it, seeing more of the world is great, but at some point it comes at the expense of forming and maintaining long term relationships with actual people that you hang out with in real life, is it worth it? There is no "right answer" to that question, but for me, I'm glad I've spent the last 21 years living where I am with frequent "out of valley experiences", AKA road trips.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I met this couple on the Oregon coast one weekend about a year and a half ago. They were extremely nice. I don't understand the criticism from those here.

Haters are gonna hate. It's not comprehensible why some people criticize other people who simply choose to live their lives their own way.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

I'm gonna start slingin' Fentanyl from my van, 'cause it supports my free-spirited "lifestyle"
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I met this couple on the Oregon coast one weekend about a year and a half ago. They were extremely nice. I don't understand the criticism from those here. I think it's awesome they found a way to earn while living the lifestyle they chose. I bought my first van at age 32, twenty or so years ago, and if it was possible then I would have loved to do the same thing. More power to them.

We camped with them a couple of weeks ago on the way back from Baja. Super nice and unpretentious people.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Not a Vanagon specifically, but it captures the spirit if you can take a joke. From the latest Funny Times...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PopTopDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

^ Laughing Laughing Laughing
christopherlayton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Another hashtag vanlife article. Lots of pretty pictures, and some realistic ruminations too.

https://journal.peakdesign.com/vanlife-isnt-the-answer

[edited to fix the link]

Last edited by christopherlayton on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
I met this couple on the Oregon coast one weekend about a year and a half ago. They were extremely nice. I don't understand the criticism from those here.

Haters are gonna hate. It's not comprehensible why some people criticize other people who simply choose to live their lives their own way.

I don't think people hate on their choices. What gets hate here is people who want to disconnect and life the lifestyle until they run into trouble,but then want the world of working people to stop and help them out when it suits them.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/r-a-f-thurleigh-car-graveyard-april15.t95528

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

christopherlayton wrote:
Another hashtag vanlife article. Lots of pretty pictures, and some realistic ruminations too.

https://journal.peakdesign.com/vanlife-isnt-the-answer

[edited to fix the link]

It's a so-so blog post but peakdesign does make terrific camera straps and bags. Kinda the Westy-Vanagon of camera straps.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

I don't think people hate on their choices. What gets hate here is people who want to disconnect and life the lifestyle until they run into trouble,but then want the world of working people to stop and help them out when it suits them.

Thats hatred of Ebegging
I dont get that either, its a consenting transaction between adults. No one is forcing anyone to give them money.
People like to live vicariously and the this transaction allows them to do that. No need to get angry about it.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

https://www.outsideonline.com/2200866/how-pick-per...demagazine

Very Happy
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2200866/how-pick-per...demagazine

Very Happy

Nice truck!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

I just spotted this Vanagon on "forensic files" circa 2003 somewhere in Idaho.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:

Definitely the murder weapon, stole the man's heart and ran away with it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:

Definitely the murder weapon, stole the man's heart and ran away with it.

And made off with the life insurance policy in order to pay for maintenance and repairs.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Tiny Homes on the Move...

a vanagon on the cover and vanagon on 1st page...

https://www.shelterpub.com/building/tiny-homes-on-the-move
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: