Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Articles About Vanagons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

I just signed a contract with a major monitor company for three photo-text features on my using their monitor for photo and graphic work in our '84.

Will post when done, around the end of March.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I just signed a contract with a major monitor company for three photo-text features on my using their monitor for photo and graphic work in our '84.

Will post when done, around the end of March.

That is exciting!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Found this while looking at Peugeot photos.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Forgot your portable BBQ? The game you caught is just too big?

Here's how they do it in Kosovo:

http://www.lemonde.fr/m-actu/article/2018/02/15/le...97186.html
(In French)
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

campism wrote:
This showed up in a Pinterest feed. Looks to be an available product for those who might be interested.

Wow- If anyone finds a place to buy one of those, let us know. I want one!
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
campism wrote:
This showed up in a Pinterest feed. Looks to be an available product for those who might be interested.

Wow- If anyone finds a place to buy one of those, let us know. I want one!

Please do. That would be my first Vanagon clothing purchase. When it first posted I googled Pinterest images with all sorts of different words trying to find it with no luck. I don't pinterest but figured if for sale Google would find it.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

Sadly my van is in the shop right now for blown head gasket, and it was my 23rd birthday this week. But luckily I have some pretty awesome friends that got me a little gift from our local brewery... and a couple beers!

Blackrocks brewery is a local brewery who is super supportive to our local bike community and events, they also happen to have a '88 westy as their mascot!

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

FYI: Artist's name is David Rollyn...
https://www.omahascreenco.com/collections/david-rollyn

http://www.adventuresofyoo.com/2016/07/21/illustrations-inspire-keep-simple-go-outside/

http://journal.granitegear.com/2016/09/introducing-go-getter-david-rollyn-powell/

http://davidrollyn.tumblr.com

https://www.instagram.com/david_rollyn/

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

[quote="Please do. That would be my first Vanagon clothing purchase. When it first posted I googled Pinterest images with all sorts of different words trying to find it with no luck. I don't pinterest but figured if for sale Google would find it.[/quote]

I have only one van apparel item, and only in part because it has a splitty on it: the driver of the splitty is Bernie Sanders, slightly cartoon-drawn. V nice- sorry I haven't figured out how to post a photo yet. Maybe he'll run again and there'll be more of them for sale. But I too would love to find the one in the photo.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

Not exactly about Vanagons, but the new Car and Driver has an article on auto events this year and Syncro Fest gets a mention, plus the illustration shows a mighty (tiny) Vanagon at the top. Did they make Syncros in Assuan Brown?

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Not exactly about Vanagons, but the new Car and Driver has an article on auto events this year and Syncro Fest gets a mention, plus the illustration shows a mighty (tiny) Vanagon at the top. Did they make Syncros in Assuan Brown?

No. At least not for the US market. Assuan Brown was last used in 1984 here, and the Syncro didn't arrive till 1986. They made Merian Brown Syncros, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Sadly my van is in the shop right now for blown head gasket, and it was my 23rd birthday this week. But luckily I have some pretty awesome friends that got me a little gift from our local brewery... and a couple beers!

Blackrocks brewery is a local brewery who is super supportive to our local bike community and events, they also happen to have a '88 westy as their mascot!

Belated Happy Birthday!

— Colin Chapman
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

The whole #vanlife thing seems beaten to death, and I really have no problem with it for all of the reasons that have already been discussed.

However, this is f**king libel. I think LinkedIn should maybe stick to repulsing millennials and relentlessly spamming my gmail account.

"Ripley is up for sale on TheSamba.com, a site where people who work and live in vans—and voyeurs—pour over Vanagons for sale. Ripley’s asking price: $65,000. “Please no low ballers, tire kickers or folks who just want to talk about Syncros,” the ad reads. “Seriously.”

That TheSamba.com exists speaks to the emergence of what's sometimes described as a hashtag lifestyle called #vanlife."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/from-vanlife-careers-thrive-figuring-out-you-go-heesun-wee/

Is Everett, and the greater VW community, aware that this site exists solely due to, and in service of, #vanlife?

It appears that we again have a writer who simply did not do his homework and should subsequently have his laptop confiscated. The real bummer is, I've met the couple he's writing about at Solstice a couple of times and they are very cool folks with an engaging story.

Why can't Chris Dixon write all of the Vanagon articles?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

I try so hard to be a hipster, and then I read this and realize that Maybe I am not trying hard enough.

I will sell my Van and buy a Volvo, but not until I can come up with a suitable narrative.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

That is unfortunate, Joe.

We meet a ton of people in Vanagons. If having to put a number on full-timers, I'd give it about 3-5%.

— Colin Chapman
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
That is unfortunate, Joe.

We meet a ton of people in Vanagons. If having to put a number on full-timers, I'd give it about 3-5%.

I'm only partially indignant and, as I say when LSU loses a football game, "win or lose, I still have to pay the bills." So it's not the end of the world.

And I have the utmost respect and admiration for full-timers. I did about four months solo back in 2000 and loved it, but it was a different time and I was in a different situation. I don't know that I could do it now. The longest we've been out as a family is a little over a month peppered with the occasional motel, and I was happy to sit my fat butt back on my couch when we got home.

I think that a good journalist would simply exercise a bit of due diligence when wading into car culture, whether it's Vanagons or anything else. We love these things, just like Mustang guys love Mustangs and Mopar guys love Chryslers. Issuing poorly-informed generalizations about us and the forum we frequent is just lazy and it detracts from what is a very interesting story about two good people.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more and have more than written my share of pieces.

My fuse is short for any sloppiness in the Arts, and I see it everyday (when not looking at my work, Ha!). Unfortunately, budgets and timelines often demand pounding things out to compete these days. Many/most cave to pay bills, understandably yet not, and to the detriment of all.

I like typos and sloppy research even less than left-lane drivers. Wink

— Colin Chapman
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in Articles ~ Magazine, Newspaper, Internet Reply with quote

campism wrote:

http://www.adventuresofyoo.com/2016/07/21/illustrations-inspire-keep-simple-go-outside/

Looks like we found the source material for the hoodie pic....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

and taking from that it's art by David Rollyn

a search on him returns this source to buy clothing
though you might have to ask him if he can still do that print as I don't see it tin the catalog.
https://www.omahascreenco.com/collections/david-rollyn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Articles About Vanagons Reply with quote

well....

Geaux Tigahs !!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: