Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Articles About Vanagons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winky_D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Is this a Vanagon? Reply with quote

This article opens with a photo that looks like a Vanagon, but details are off: the orientation go the slider handle and location of filler are wrong. Is this a Vanagon or something else?
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/18/ice-miss...picks=true
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Daihatsu van, guessing it is stock photo of the van on Japanese roads given it's right hand drive.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little blurb in this month's sunset magazine.

I does say our vans will only go 65 mph with a photo of an 88 or newer Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled on this article while searching images.

http://blog.pinnaclepromotions.com/giveaways-on-a-...#more-2493

Quote:
Discovery of the Vanagon- need a promotional key chain?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I was on my lunch break about a week ago, I came across a new discovery that I had never seen before. Stopped at the traffic light to my right was a large awkward-looking van. During further inspection I noticed the model name on the back, and guess what it said- Vanagon. First of all, I didn’t see anything overtly attractive about the vehicle itself to make anyone want to run to the car lot and buy this baby, and secondly I couldn’t believe it was called the Vanagon. So being in the promotional industry, first thing I think of is: What goes best with a Vanagon? Promotional key chain of course! I burst out in laughter because it just sounds so absurd. It is like the labels celeb magazines and entertainment websites brand celeb couples by just combining their names into one Supername. I shared my discovery with my co-workers and they were just as astonished and amused as I was so we just had to blog about it. In conclusion, you don’t really have to own a Vanagon in order to need promo keychains, but wouldn’t it just be so fitting to have a flip-flop shaped bottle opener keychain to go with your hippie ride. Groovy.

Stephania Copeland
Merchandising & Marketing Coordinator

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: SF Cronicle 2010 Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/cars/article/1991-VW-Vanagon...to-2345216

We now look for excuses to get away, and although B&B’s are wonderful, it sure is nice to have our own cabin on wheels. Photos of Steven Davidson and his 1991 4WD Volkswagen Vanagan Syncro Westfalia at Grizzly Peaks Park, part of Tilden Park in Berkeley on December 22, 2009

Steve Davidson is an attorney in Oakland practicing estate planning, probate and trust administration law. He creates customized living trusts for clients in the Bay Area, presents seminars on the subject, and teaches a certified estate planning course to financial professionals.

Back in the '70s, around the time I finished law school, my wife Joelle and I decided that we needed some time off before I began my career. So we bought a lime green VW camper van and toured the country for several months. We had a fantastic time and still tell those stories. I have now been practicing law for 35 years and Joelle and I have three sons, aged 29, 27 and 23. Our passion is fly fishing, and when we moved from Southern California to Berkeley 14 years ago we started exploring the amazing rivers of Northern California.

During that time I became increasingly tired of sleeping on the ground and started looking for the perfect fishing vehicle. The Vanagon came to mind, but I initially dismissed it because our previous VW had low ground clearance and just wouldn't be able to make it to our favorite rivers and lakes. One day I wondered whether VW had ever made a higher clearance van, went online and found the Syncro.

The Vanagon Syncro was the pet project of two VW engineers who wanted to be able to take their campers into the outback of Europe and Africa. The result was a 4WD version of the Vanagon with high clearance that did well enough in off-road competition to make it into limited production from 1986-1991. Only about 1,500 camper versions were sold in the United States, and as a result they are quite rare now. I found my 1991 Syncro about two years ago and have been having a blast with it ever since.

Anyone who has ever driven any Vanagon comments on how fun they are. Sitting up high with a big ol' bus-type steering wheel is cool, and then there is this wonderful floating sensation that is hard to describe. When the going gets rough, the Syncro has a magic button that locks the rear wheels and a fifth "granny" gear that allows it to climb straight up just about any nasty hill. It is quite common for Syncros to pull all kinds of modern off-road vehicles out of stuck situations. In May of each year, "Syncronauts" from all over the United States and Canada gather for Syncro de Mayo at an off-road park in Hollister to charge up and down mountains, slog through mud bogs and see who can get the most air in their van.

With our Syncro my wife and I have rediscovered our love for camping. We now look for excuses to get away, and although B&B's are wonderful, it sure is nice to have our own cabin on wheels. We pull up, pop the top, pop a top and are cooking dinner before most travelers have unpacked their cars. Our family photos are on the wall, and Joelle has made a beautiful quilt that keeps the chill off. Last year at Syncro de Mayo we won the trophy for best campsite - Joelle thinks it was her quilt that did the job.

I have installed some aftermarket creature comforts, including a propane heater that runs on a thermostat, an awning, and extra batteries to run the DVD player and other appliances. The next project will be a solar system so that we can be out in the boonies for extended trips. Our vacation last summer was a three-week road trip through Oregon and Washington, and although we have traveled abroad extensively we were amazed by the fun we had, cool people we met and how stunning our country actually is when you get up close and personal. The VW is not fast, so when you go, you go at its pace, not yours. It takes getting used to, but quickly you relax, putt along, and start giving peace signs to all of the other "hippie vans" that pass.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a local RI paper I stumbled into while waiting for my Chinese take-out.
Their story can be found at www.vancrafted.us They are working from their van as they travel. "West Falls ...is a creative agency specializing in photography, videography, and social media for small companies that make most of their products by hand, in America"

Picture was taken in Middletown, RI (Near Newport, RI).

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside magazine continues their ongoing love affair with Vanagons (and others, to be fair.)

"Our 24 Favorite Camper Vans"

http://www.outsideonline.com/photo-galleries/outdoor-gear/OutsideMobile-The-Winners.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the Dehler Profi. I was following Google picture links in search of a different vehicle and this popped up in the background of one photo I found. Not many Dehlers out there and this one appears to be at a car show in Sweden.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Eurovan with clown driver featured in a creepy photobomb? Don't see many like this:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy

"One of you will die tonight"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I think this belongs here, got buried in another thread but it's an interesting piece of Vanagon history from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1137812

Never heard, or even heard about, this broadcast before. As a metro DC resident with over 40 years of VW van ownership, and Vanagons since 1990 (goodness, 1/4 century already!), I have had no contact with the Vanagon owners annual assembly she describes. Is there ANYONE in the area who knows more about the group-- contact persons, date of next meetup, etc-- who can give me that info?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of it and will add more after listening. Tom Forhan's place in NoVa was the meeting spot and the "group" is the Yahoo Vanagon group, I believe. I've heard this segment before and it sounds like Ms. Schalch herself is a Vanagon owner, though perhaps no longer after the trouble she describes at the end of the report. When I began researching a Vanagon purchase in '02 Tom was still active and this meeting was going on annually, I think. Never made it to one.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
joetiger wrote:
I think this belongs here, got buried in another thread but it's an interesting piece of Vanagon history from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1137812

Never heard, or even heard about, this broadcast before. As a metro DC resident with over 40 years of VW van ownership, and Vanagons since 1990 (goodness, 1/4 century already!), I have had no contact with the Vanagon owners annual assembly she describes. Is there ANYONE in the area who knows more about the group-- contact persons, date of next meetup, etc-- who can give me that info?

I would bet that you can get info from the guys on the original Vanagon email list:

http://gerry.vanagon.com/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurovans again, this time in a Yahoo News report on outrageous speeding fines in Finland. Wonder if they chased him down using the VW?

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In searching for VC stuff, found this article from Popular Science, 1985:

This was posted in another topic, but am reposting it here:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in Texas. Any one here seen this van?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=67337

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh Umm that IS THE van your momma warned her about.
70coupyel wrote:
Somewhere in Texas. Any one here seen this van?
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/377.jpg

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=67337

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REI summer catalog features one prominently:

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Jalopnik article on the Ten Most Worthless Car Mods, this one:

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that front bumper is plastic, Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: