Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Hey TheSamba,

Does anyone have tips for removing and installing the stock cross shaft brass bushing?

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

clutch operating shaft outboard bushing?

As a guess, once COL, COS, 11mm head retaining bolt are out......

From inside housing, put bolt/washer sized to bushing through bushing, set a socket or pipe sized slightly larger than OD of bushing against outer side of case, put nut washer sized to that, turn nut to draw bushing out?

If you're referring to what I think is a bronze bushing in the blind hole at passenger side, that comes out bit by bit. IIRC, I used various small prying tools, needle nose pliers, side cutters, to work it out.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

A proper size tap will work as a puller. Sorry I don’t recall the tap size. I use the same method for removing starter bushings.

As the tap bottoms out, the bushing will walk out the hole.
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
clutch operating shaft outboard bushing?

As a guess, once COL, COS, 11mm head retaining bolt are out......

From inside housing, put bolt/washer sized to bushing through bushing, set a socket or pipe sized slightly larger than OD of bushing against outer side of case, put nut washer sized to that, turn nut to draw bushing out?

If you're referring to what I think is a bronze bushing in the blind hole at passenger side, that comes out bit by bit. IIRC, I used various small prying tools, needle nose pliers, side cutters, to work it out.

Neil.

Yes, I'm referring to the bushing in the blind hole. I'll see if I have any prying tools that'll work.

MarkWard wrote:
A proper size tap will work as a puller. Sorry I don’t recall the tap size. I use the same method for removing starter bushings.

As the tap bottoms out, the bushing will walk out the hole.

This was my first thought since I've done the same on the starter bushings. I'll check what size tap will fit.

Thanks for the tips.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

agon.parts wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
If you're referring to what I think is a bronze bushing in the blind hole at passenger side
Yes, I'm referring to the bushing in the blind hole.

Ok, thanks. IIRC, VW made some Vanagon clutch housings (diesel?) with a brass bushing at outboard position and companies like Rancho sell a brass bushing as a replacement for the OE plastic/rubber affair. Didn't think the brass bushing would be a tight press fit but then I wondered if the brass might start to bond with case material over time. Anyhow.......

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
IIRC, VW made some Vanagon clutch housings (diesel?) with a brass bushing at outboard position and companies like Rancho sell a brass bushing as a replacement for the OE plastic/rubber affair. Didn't think the brass bushing would be a tight press fit but then I wondered if the brass might start to bond with case material over time. Anyhow.......

Neil.

Speaking of the outboard brass bushing upgrade. I've read mixed reviews. Do you have any experience with them?

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

I installed a brass bushing to replace the worn plastic one. Fit was fine, but I recall it does not take the rubber end seals, so maybe dirt can work in there over time.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

agon.parts wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
IIRC, VW made some Vanagon clutch housings (diesel?) with a brass bushing at outboard position....

Speaking of the outboard brass bushing upgrade. I've read mixed reviews. Do you have any experience with them?

No. But, I did wonder if a brass bushing is potentially too "strong" for the material around it possibly allowing undue stress at case over the long term. And thinking now, the plastic/rubber set up seems to be designed to keep lube in place. Does the brass bushing allow for same and if not, can it get dry and affect pedal feel and clutch operation?

I had a quick look at an online ETKA type thing. Did not see a brass bushing for the diesel so I think I'm wrong on that count.

Neil.

Image of US market 1982 "coupling" no engine specified. A 1987 Europa market Vanagon shows what appears to be the same image for gas and diesel engines.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

The brass bushing came from Weddle. In theory, it should actually give better action holding the shaft more square to the pressure plate.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Hoping Mark Ward sees this: I am reinstalling the Weddle HD shaft with a new bushing kit and the plastic piece was super tight and broke while installing so now I have to start over. Wondering if this was the part you used:

https://weddleindustries.com/products/9025/9025

It looks like it would be too thick, but Weddle knows what they are doing. This is for an 86 manual trans. If anyone has experience with this part or had any better luck putting in the plastic tube part with the screw hole (#14 in the diagram above), thoughts are appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Hello, I checked the link and that looks to be the same bushing. I agree it does look thick. Did you remove the small retaining bolt? Not sure why yours was too tight. Perhaps clean the hole with a small wheel cylinder hone.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I guess it looks thick because I would no longer use the soft bushings that go between the plastic and the shaft. Yes, I had removed the retaining screw. The new plastic cracked because I could only slide it in halfway before having to tap it with a socket of equal diameter. That was a bad idea. I will order up the bronze bushing and report back. Appreciate the wisdom.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

I believe the Weddle Industries bushing is intended to replace the stock item entirely, i.e. there is no plastic bushing or
rubber grease seals used with it. The stock bushing consists of an aluminum sleeve sized to fit the hole in the trans case, and
inside that is a shorter plastic bushing pressed in, which is sized to accept either the 16 mm or 20 mm shaft size. All the plastic
bushings I've handled have been extremely tight in the aluminum sleeve, and my impression is they were supplied as a unit and never meant to be separated. They both have holes for the locating bolt, so of course they must be lined up exactly

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Thanks Kreem - This is the kit that I ordered from VanCafe:

https://vancafe.com/cross-arm-shaft-bushing-kit/

The plastic piece is what broke, and I know that the bronze piece from Weddle is meant to replace the plastic as well as the 2 rubber bits. If there was an OG aluminum cylinder, I didn't see it, unless it has become one with the transaxle case. I will take a closer look.

The problem I have now is that the bronze piece from Weddle is $10 but the shipping is $20, but hey that's the deal. I just want to be as sure as I can that the bronze piece will fit if I pay and wait for it. But there are no guarantees in the Vanagon world.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Look at what else they might have you don’t know you need or buy 2 bushings and have it as a spare or if somehow it gets damaged on install. 😉
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

The crazy thing is that they originally wanted to charge me $33, but I emailed them and the sales guy was very nice and polite and explained how they had gotten screwed by shipping companies in the past, which I believe. He then said he could knock it down to $20, which isn't great, but I know I am spoiled by Amazon. The other option was to drive to CA to pick it up, which would be fun but not cost effective!
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

The part from Weddle arrived and it installed nicely. It is a perfect fit once the hole is sanded /smoothed out a bit. The screw hole lined up perfectly. The part does not come with anything else, even the screw. The clutch fork is super smooth now and I am looking forward to getting this thing all back together. Some pics for anyone interested in this part, which eliminates the plastic bushing as well as the two black rubber bits in the rebuild kit.

EDIT: I know MarkWard is going to get on me for not cleaning the inside better. I am waiting for it to warm up outside so I can go to town with Brakeclean. This ain't south FL you know! Thanks for the help as always.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

I mounted this bushing when I built my Syncro transmission almost 10 years ago, the plastic parts were NLA at the time.
I confirm it's great quality and fit, makes a stiff shaft.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

I’m a little anal about cleaning not because a little oil and dirt are a problem, but in the future if you cleaned everything and you end up as example pulling the transmission, it should be about as clean and dry as when you previously assembled it. If not, you can determine why.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing brass bushing in cross shaft Reply with quote

Sage advice as always. Here's hoping that I don't have to open it for a few years, but I will def take some photos before I close it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: