Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stealth Spots near L.A., San Diego, or Mexico?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Stealth Spots near L.A., San Diego, or Mexico? Reply with quote

Need to get away from restaurant opening and feel cool air again! Thanks in advanced!

ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI

Last edited by aswah on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just drive down the PCH and stop on the beaches. During the weekdays an cooler months it's way less crowded. I liked mugu point near the base for surf perch and corbina. Not usually many people there.

www.DIYSeattle.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any free primitive campsites along PCH between Santa Monica and north to Point Mugu. There ARE roadside pull outs at Point Mugu rock.. I dont recall if it is posted no overnight camping.. I did not sleep there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also like PCH at Neptunes Net. I have stealth slept on the road above the restaurant.

I also have stealth slept in Malibu, just below the Malibu Motel driveway entrance there is a parking lot behind a Real Estate office that is not visible from PCH. And you can walk up the hill above the motel for some awesome views.

Ive also heard people say they like camping at Leo Carrillo, not free, not on the ocean side, but beautiful, and just accross PCH from a great beach.
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a hidden parking lot about a mile south of Neptune's Net, on the ocean side of pch. The parking lot sits on a cliff over looking the pacific at the far far north end Leo Carillo Beach, north of the life guard house and away from the crowds on the main beach.

I usually only see surfers and spearfishers use the lot.

Excellent view, and porta potties. I almost always see dolphins from the cliff.

There is a mailbox right next to the entrance of the lot, I cant remember exactly what the number is. The entrance is between yellow hill rd and the fire station. You will see a palapa on the hill side on the opposite side of the pch.

this is one of my favorite spots to relax at in my westy. Close and low key with a dog friendly beach just a short hike and right below the lot.

If you need more info, shoot me a pm.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> there is a hidden parking lot

if I read google maps right it is

13065 California 1

Last edited by Jon_slider on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome...

1989 Westy
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware of that lot near Carillo, I'll have to check it out. I doubt whether you can overnight there though. The entire length of PCH in the Malubu/Ventura area has signs prohibiting it, and it is enforced.

I have stealth camped in the area often without getting rousted though.

One of my spots is Deer Creek Rd. It is North of Neptune's Net on the right. If you go up about a mile or so there is a turn-off on your right leading to a big dirt lot with great views of the ocean.

Local kids go up there to drink beer and watch the sun set, but after dark you pretty much have the place to yourself.

If you need more info feel free to PM me.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the lot to the right of the house, it looks like it's far enough below the road that it can't be seen, so unless the cops pull in there every night to check it out I'd imagine it okay.
Anyway, I've had my window knocked on by the cops and all they ever said was to move on.
Further on south of this spot, I think it's just barely south of Solstice Rd, I parked overnight just off the road on the ocean side, probably a dozen times without a problem. This was 4-7 years ago, maybe not the same now.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40

Last edited by levi on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be it too. There's either a 10000 or a 40000 on the mailbox at the side of the road. It's just a little farther north than the lot Jon found but it looks like it has the out houses described above.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Neptune+Net+Restaura...A&z=19
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelinor wrote:
there is a hidden parking lot about a mile south of Neptune's Net, on the ocean side of pch. The parking lot sits on a cliff over looking the pacific at the far far north end Leo Carillo Beach, north of the life guard house and away from the crowds on the main beach.

There is a mailbox right next to the entrance of the lot, I cant remember exactly what the number is. The entrance is between yellow hill rd and the fire station. You will see a palapa on the hill side on the opposite side of the pch.

this is one of my favorite spots to relax at in my westy. Close and low key with a dog friendly beach just a short hike and right below the lot.

Are you speaking of the dirt lot above Staircase? I doubt you can overnight it there, as the Sheriffs cruise and check everything up there, even back in the 70's when it was free parking and no notice of no overnight parking. Heck we even used to sleep on the beach at County Line and were never hassled....not any more!
I would just get to Leo Carrillo early in AM and see if they have a cancellation.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the title so no one shoot me... I changed it because I currently live in La Quinta (near Palm Desert, Pal Springs)... LA and SD are about the same distance and over the border is three hours... I just want somewhere cooler than the 96 degrees it currently is that I can get to that has peace and quietness and somewhere a two year old boy can run with his dog friend... while mama and papa bear are sipping cocktails! I am Chef of a new restaurant opening http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/sets/72157631639532962/ and I haven't had much time off lately. We are opening very soon and need a day and night to howl at the moon and a day and night to recover from said howling...

many thanx... something within four hours would be perfect...

1989 Westy
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific coast west of San Quintin area.
Maybe a little more than 4 hrs from your base.. and definitely longer on the way home with the border crossing.

Please be warned.. once you begin exploring Baja, you'll just keep coming back.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
I changed the title so no one shoot me... I changed it because I currently live in La Quinta (near Palm Desert, Pal Springs)... LA and SD are about the same distance and over the border is three hours... I just want somewhere cooler than the 96 degrees it currently is that I can get to that has peace and quietness and somewhere a two year old boy can run with his dog friend... while mama and papa bear are sipping cocktails! I am Chef of a new restaurant opening http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/sets/72157631639532962/ and I haven't had much time off lately. We are opening very soon and need a day and night to howl at the moon and a day and night to recover from said howling...

My cousins have a house and greenhouse on a good chunk of property in Leucadia, CA. It is about 5 blocks from the beach and I probably could talk them into letting you camp there.
Otherwise, I cannot think of anywhere you can Stealth camp in Southern CA. Things are pretty restrictive nowadays and overdeveloped. There are definitely many places south of Tijuana, around Rosarito. Not certain if it is sketchy now though. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can chime in.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
There are definitely many places south of Tijuana, around Rosarito. Not certain if it is sketchy now though. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can chime in.

I have not been south of the border in many years.. but even back in the 80s we did not relax until we were well south of Ensenada.
By the 90s there were fewer and fewer beach access spots (Mex does not have a Coastal Commision like we Calis have.. forcing public parking and acccess to shoreline)

Its not overbuilt like the 'bu.. or PV.. but what was once wild and open, now has cinderblock condos and ornate wrought iron gates.

Friends, who drive routinely from CA to Cabo area these days, suggest you stay south of Ensenda if overnighting camp-style.

<sigh>
Back in the day there were some really beautiful bluffs overlooking world class prock reef point-breaks. .. well maybe not WORLD class.. but they were uncrowded and in the right conditions were simply heavenly.
Named after the corresponding KM markers.. among other things.

Today there are too many people trolling the area between T and E.. looking to seperate you from your money.

No thanks. Go further south. Then, you can hit the wine country, too.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
There are definitely many places south of Tijuana, around Rosarito. Not certain if it is sketchy now though. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can chime in.

I have not been south of the border in many years.. but even back in the 80s we did not relax until we were well south of Ensenada.
By the 90s there were fewer and fewer beach access spots (Mex does not have a Coastal Commision like we Calis have.. forcing public parking and acccess to shoreline)

Its not overbuilt like the 'bu.. or PV.. but what was once wild and open, now has cinderblock condos and ornate wrought iron gates.

Friends, who drive routinely from CA to Cabo area these days, suggest you stay south of Ensenda if overnighting camp-style.

<sigh>
Back in the day there were some really beautiful bluffs overlooking world class prock reef point-breaks. .. well maybe not WORLD class.. but they were uncrowded and in the right conditions were simply heavenly.
Named after the corresponding KM markers.. among other things.

Today there are too many people trolling the area between T and E.. looking to seperate you from your money.

No thanks. Go further south. Then, you can hit the wine country, too.

Thank you and good to know. We used to hit K38, Baja Malibu, etc all the time and camp right there. Makes sense though, and I have heard south of Ensenada is safer nowadays also. In the late 80's and early 90's we used to rent a house near La Mision, where the old road goes inland. Locals were always cool, even in the village.

Could always go North above Santa Barbara. Jalama has no reservation camping.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
Jalama.

Yes! A taste of what California used to be like.
Great spot. Good day trekking.

Can be windy as hell, though.

danfromsyr wrote:
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
nelinor wrote:

Are you speaking of the dirt lot above Staircase? I doubt you can overnight it there, as the Sheriffs cruise and check everything up there, even back in the 70's when it was free parking and no notice of no overnight parking. Heck we even used to sleep on the beach at County Line and were never hassled....not any more!
I would just get to Leo Carrillo early in AM and see if they have a cancellation.

It is the dirt lot above the dirt trail, between a house and some sort of station.

No, you can not boondock there, but its great for day use.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
aswah wrote:

My cousins have a house and greenhouse on a good chunk of property in Leucadia, CA. It is about 5 blocks from the beach and I probably could talk them into letting you camp there.
Otherwise, I cannot think of anywhere you can Stealth camp in Southern CA. Things are pretty restrictive nowadays and overdeveloped. There are definitely many places south of Tijuana, around Rosarito. Not certain if it is sketchy now though. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can chime in.

I camped on the bluffs next to La Fonda twice during the past two months. It is north of Ensenada (~10miles?) and La Mission. I felt safe and my dog loved it.

Sunday brunch at La Fonda is highly recomended.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelinor wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
aswah wrote:

I camped on the bluffs next to La Fonda twice during the past two months. It is north of Ensenada (~10miles?) and La Mission. I felt safe and my dog loved it.

Sunday brunch at La Fonda is highly recomended.

Second that on La Fonda!
TOOB Member #15
Brian
scubabrian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to camp at the La Buffadora, just SW of Ensenada. It costs $10 but is quiet, and safe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: