Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One of my new CV joints get HOT
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: One of my new CV joints get HOT Reply with quote

Just looking for experienced input here.

My right rear wheel tried to fall off and my CV joint boots were thrashed and the bolts were backing out, so I pulled my axles and diagonal arms. Replaced the wheel bearings (SKF and FAG) and seals on both sides. Replaced the stub axle on the right side, the threads were thrashed and replaced both axle nuts too. Replaced the axles and CV joints.

Afterwards I noticed that the right, tire side, CV joint got extremely hot whereas none of the others did.

I noticed the right wheel was not spinning freely when in the air and I thought I pinned it down to the drum being warped/damaged from wobbleing, so I replaced both rear drums; however, that didn't seem to help.

The backing plate seemed to have been damaged, so I beat it back into basic shape. It still rubbed but not as much; however, I'm not sure if the rubbing is from the backing plate or the new axle stub not fitting right. I put a machine shim/bushing between the drum and wheel bearing spacer to give it about 1mm more space. Now it barely rubs.

But after all this my CV joint was still getting hot, so last night I pulled it down and repacked it with grease and made sure it had a full range of motion. But it still gets hot and none of the others do.

Theories I have:
1) Some CV joints need more break in time
2) It's just a crappy CV joint 
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D90%2D6900
I got these because after sale and coupon code they were less the half the price of rebuilding with Lobos
3) the axle stub somehow doesn't fit right
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D501%2D231
I got this one because it was the only one I could find in stock.
4) The angle of the spring plate is to far off. When I went to work down there I found the spring plate was held on by one loose bolt. I'll post more about it in a different thread.

Which of these theories is plausible or likely? And is there anything else I may have missed?
205T (Bill)
BestCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just replaced my right side CVs and im not having an issue with them. they were some cheapie $75 cv kits.

when i was doing mine i was told "pack em completely full of grease so that you cant see anything. and when you think you have enough grease, add more."

good luck Sad
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect the axle or bearings. You should not need to add anything to make it work. And if you have something still dragging, even slightly, it is gonna get hot.

I bet if you put a different CV there it will also get hot.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, last night I packed that joint good, and filled the boot.

Thanks Q-Dog. My next test was going to be flipping that axle around. When I have the drum off I can turn the axle with no drag at all but with the drum on tight there is slight drag at a certain point in the rotation.

My guess is either the stub axle isn't in enough or something is off with it, or the backing plate is warped somehow.

When I get time I'll tear it down again and compare sides maybe get a used stub axle and possibly replace the backing plate. I'll figure this out; just needed some feedback from a more experienced/knowledgable person.
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read a post about how annoying it is to have a thread with no conclusion. Then I remembered this. Rolling Eyes

After a few weeks the cv joint was no longer getting hot. Whether it was the cheap cv joints or the aftermarket stub axel I don't know, but it seems to have broken in and given me zero problems the past two years of daily driving.

Maybe in two more years I'll open it back up and report my findings.
205T (Bill)
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the conclusion! Good to know you didn't break down anywhere because of it! Wink Wink
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: