Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bolts)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bolts) Reply with quote

Has anybody tried these sticky feet? They use very high bond (VHB) tape to attach the mounts to the poptop

https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=112

Concerns? Ways to improve it without using bolts or screws thru the poptop fiberglass?

I was actually going to buy this cool tilting mounting frame in link below for my solar panel when I ran into the stick feet

https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39&product_id=58

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a tube of clear silicone sealer, for $5, Glued 3 solar panels down onto the roof of CH top, about 5 years ago. Haven't thought about it 'till you brought it up.
Did it do the job? See avatar at left
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feet may bond strongly to the surface coating but how strong is the bond between the surface coat and the substrate? Glueing the whole frame down using urethane would share the load better. Or you could just be boring and convensional and bolt it down. I personally would sleep better with the last option! Greg
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bol Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Has anybody tried these sticky feet? They use very high bond (VHB) tape to attach the mounts to the poptop

Concerns? Ways to improve it without using bolts or screws thru the poptop fiberglass?

I was actually going to buy this cool tilting mounting frame in link below for my solar panel when I ran into the stick feet

https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39&product_id=58

Aside from what is said above, the items from the solar store don't look all that impressive for the cost, unless you are totally helpless. In the case of totally helpless you would be paying some one to mount the items too.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus You need 6 feet to hold down a solar panel over 100 watts , and you should at least have 140 watts. For the cost of the feet, you can get a good used cross bar system for the roof, Thule or Yakima. And have peace of mind that it will stay put! Also you can remove it, glue it down it's there forever! Well at least you will have one thing on a VW van that will last! Laughing I've see no reason to tilt my panels, they work great where they are!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill some holes and bolt that sucker down!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very hesitant to trust VHB tape to hold any solar panel down using only 4 of the small 3" x 1" feet.

I have used several different types of VHB over the past few years for mocking up custom cabinetry and other finish carpentry jobs. It has great strength in a flat horizontal or vertical shear load fastening situation, but can often be pried up at an angle without too much force.

The textured surface of the poptop would be something to consider as well, since the VHB is really designed for use on a smooth surface. The dark color of the roof could also become problematic, as the pressure sensitive adhesive might lose strength when exposed to high temperatures. If you have ever used Penetrol on your top, I would definitely not count on any adhesive sticking well.

If you definitely want to try using the VHB in a situation where you are depending on the bond strength of the adhesive to hold the panel to your roof, you should be able to save a bunch of money and have a much stronger mount system by using 1 1/2" aluminum angle iron cut to lengths around 12"-18" bolted to the panel frame and stuck down with long strips of VHB.

This approach would give you a much larger contact strip of VHB, which would undoubtedly be considerably stronger than the small mounting feet would offer. If you have an angle grinder with a cutting disc, you could even do full length sections of angle iron on each side of the panel and trim away the sections that bridge the reinforcing ridges in the roof. This would give you a much more secure mounting system that should also be more resistant to the possibility of adhesive failure from angled lifting forces.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine siliconed to the hardtop. When I went to the CH top, all I had to do is slit the silicone caulk bead, lift off the panels (3), clean them up (just rub with fingers) and reglue to new top.
Occam's Razor comes to mind, or k i s s, or don't reinvent the wheel. Your miles will vary
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bungie mine (85 watt) to the Yakima bars, alongside my roof cargo box. Four times Olympia, WA to Mulege, BCS without a problem. No holes drilled, but for the gutter brackets.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust VHB for that. We used some at work, and found it was coming unglued when shipped overseas. Couldn't figure out why, until one of the engineers put his coffee cup under the part with the tape, and sure enough the hot steam caused the tape to pop right off!

If you really want to use an adhesive, I'd go with some type of polyurethane - like Windo-weld or Aquaseal. And I'd recommend a pad about double that of those feet shown on the web site.

My 135W panel is attached with stainless carriage bolts.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill it, bolt it and seal it. Cheap!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Drill it, bolt it and seal it. Cheap!

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bol Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I have had my 135w panel mounted to my roof rack Yakima cross bars for a while now, I used SS U bolts. And I also have a Yakima rooftop cargo box. During the winter I usually take down the roof box so the van looks a bit silly with the roof rack only carrying a solar panel up there. It is time to attach the panel to the poptop roof. One of the reasons I didn't do this in the first place was my fear to drill vertical holes on top of the poptop. I'm over this fear now.

I think I will just bolt it down as suggested. If I use tape, silicone or polyurethane I will always be questioning the strenght of the bond and checking out the panel every 30 minutes. Bolting it down gives you piece of mind. Now I need to figure out whether I want to use that cool tilting mounting bracket I mentioned in my post above. Wondering how much usefull it will be.

Bill, that is amazing that your panels held in place after the rollover. You have three small panels, I wonder what the outcome would be with one heavy 135w panel.

r39o wrote:
Aside from what is said above, the items from the solar store don't look all that impressive for the cost, unless you are totally helpless. In the case of totally helpless you would be paying some one to mount the items too.

What do you mean with helpless? If you mean skill level or time to do this then I think you are wrong. Some people have the skills to do all sorts of things but value their time more than anything. I rather spend time with my one year-old and three year-old daughters. Installation of any of the products I mentioned above takes little time, tools or skill. It would take anybody here a bit of time and money to try to replicate/fabricate the tilting mounting bracket. While you do that, I will be at the playground.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 3m 5200 if you NEVER want it to come off. They make a softer marine adhesive as well (4700?).

-craig
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any pics of your current set-up with the solar panel and top box?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedoJosh wrote:
Have any pics of your current set-up with the solar panel and top box?

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bolts) Reply with quote

Update:

I installed a Renogy 150 watt square panel on my poptop, using "sticky feet" mounts:

It has been up for three years, from Washington to Cabo, with no sign of coming undone. The best solution in my mind as you don't drill through the roof.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bolts) Reply with quote

Well . . that didn't work!

I tried to post that I installed a 150-watt solar panel on my pop top using the VHB tape mounts and it has been up there from Cabo to Washington for three years, with no sign of release.

~ Captain Ron ~
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bolts) Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Well . . that didn't work!

Fixed.

When posting direct hyperlinks, don't use the [url] tags. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting solar panel on poptop using 3M VHB tape (no bolts) Reply with quote

all y'all remember.... if gluing anything to the top, the bond is only as strong as the layer of gelcoat/paint/wax that has been applied.

i have full confidence that the adhesive will hold onto the substrate. it is the substrate that makes my knees go weak. with a through-hole bolt, there is a known and verifiable strength relationship to the fiberglass top.

mebbe overkill. mebbe not. Do Ya Feel Lucky, Punk? Well, Do Ya?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: