Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Testarossa-gon dash—design similarities
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Testarossa-gon dash—design similarities Reply with quote

I was doing some fairly random research for a design project, and stumbled across some interior shots of a Ferrari Testarossa, and upon seeing shots of the cockpit, it struck me that despite the supposedly utterly separate design lineages of these vehicles, there are some surprising similarities in the design aesthetics of the dash:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Obv. the vanagon shot here has been customized with a new steering wheel and shifter, but in general the lines of the minimalistic designs in both vehicles seem related to me.

Any other examples of this kind of utilitarian, but still ergonomic design approach in vehicles? One of the things that made me fall in love with the Vanagon and buy one is the balance between minimalism, ergonomics, and utilitarian features, and the lack of the clutter and the 'cocoon' feeling that other vehicles create with their excessive plastic molding, shaping, and frivolities. Conversely, one of the things I like about the Vanagon *compared* to the older busses is that it feels less klunky/kitschy, and even more austere and purposeful. Maybe I just prefer the harder, more orthagonal lines in the Vanagon—I'm definitely way more of a Sabbath fan than a Dead-head Smile

Now I just need someone to reupholster my dash with two-tone black & grey italian leather, and transplant that ferrari cluster.

And a sunken treasure chest of gold to bankroll those desires Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: