Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving our Kombi through mexico, central america and beyond
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: moving north Reply with quote

So we did a complete unpack/repack and deep clean in CR before leaving...way harder than simply packing the first time around.

Link

We've now passed through costa rica, nicaragua, honduras and are currently in el salvador. Things have been going pretty good, the bus has more strength than it has in a while, although still seems to cycle in and out of running on all four cylinders.

Our mechanic in san jose took a guess that the bus (in his opinion) is only running on about 70% of its possible strength. Cant say im surprised by that number...and if anything it might seem high. Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everything else seems mostly smooth. At least while were on the road.
- When i first turn the key to start the engine its almost like the starter is stuck. A brief pause and then a slow revolution almost like the battery is close to dead... but them i pump the gas and she fires right up. Worries me a bit, but so far shes started every time. Thought id mention it in case it bring up an idea for someone. Considering we push started half our trip south...ill still put it in the "working" category. Laughing

- our solar/house battery setup seems to be having some troubles again.
we are losing power faster than before and im convinced we have a draw somewhere. sadly my multimeter is also giving errant readings, so its tough to try and track it down.

On top of that...during our drive today the batteries began topping off but stopped at around 12.5, as where normal during the trip they would be reading closer to 14.

All is okay at thins point...but if anyone still watching has ideas on anything mentioned above, id be happy to head problems off at the pass before they actually stop us!

Anyway- just checking in from the road while we have some down time and a little internet... for more details...the blog is always pretty up to date.

for now, were gonna enjoy christmas.
hope you are all doing the same!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the armature on the generator dirty,brushes are dirty.brushes not contacting againist armature.
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: fuel pump leak in El Salvador Reply with quote

yikes. Shocked

so, i get caught up on christmas emails...then go out to jiggle some cords and try figuring out whats up with our house batteries. try cleaning a few connections before seeing that the cable from battery to isolator is loose. go figure. I tighten it up, thinking it cant be that easy...but run up and start er up just to watch and see if the house batteries start going up instead of down.
success!

Im thrilled with myself, so i rev her up for a while to top off the batteries a bit for the night and then walk back to check how many cylinders im running on and if i need to adjust the carbs...instead...i notice my engine's way too clean, quickly followed by realization that i smell gas --
there's gas everywhere! Shocked

I cant imagine that was happening for too long, but i'm counting my blessings that i'm finding out this way instead of on the highway.
anyway... i sprint upfront to turn off the engine and grab the extinguisher just in case.

Clean things up a bit before having jen start E up again and it seems that the leak is coming from the fuel pump itself,
Its either from right between the top and bottom "halves", or maybe from that tiny little weep hole underneath??

Just did a precursory read on Rob and Daves and it seems like the pump cant be fixed but has to be replaced... is that right?

NOT exactly how i planned on spending christmas!
but...at least the extinguisher still hasn't been used. Anxious
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump leak in El Salvador Reply with quote

dangerbus wrote:

the leak is coming from the fuel pump itself,
Its either from right between the top and bottom "halves", or maybe from that tiny little weep hole underneath??

Just did a precursory read on Rob and Daves and it seems like the pump cant be fixed but has to be replaced... is that right?

SO... im pretty happy with what im finding as i dig through our supplies. Wink
I have a spare fuel pump AND found a few paper gaskets that i'm pretty sure are correct.

My question (in case anyone is reading up while watching the game on christmas) is:
- can i replace the pump only and not worry about the pushrod (which seems to be working fine and i dont have a spare)?
- can i use chassis grease to pack the base of the pump instead of bearing grease (because that's all we seem to have with us)??
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 types of fuel pump rocking point pins- set your pumps along side each other and see if the pivots are in the same location. If your good pump has a higher pin, you will need a pump rod

Grease is grease as far as pump rods go.

Gaskets can set fuel pressure.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
There are 2 types of fuel pump rocking point pins- set your pumps along side each other and see if the pivots are in the same location. If your good pump has a higher pin, you will need a pump rod

Grease is grease as far as pump rods go.

Gaskets can set fuel pressure.

Thanks for the reply!

- Im assuming the two different types can be seen from a simple visual inspection only??

- sweet...ill go start taking it apart!

- didnt understand your point about gaskets... is it better if i simply leave whats there now?

thanks again!
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerbus wrote:

- didnt understand your point about gaskets... is it better if i simply leave whats there now?

thanks again!

Merry Christmas/happy holidays. The number of gaskets set the pressure of gas in a stock configuration, and you can likely (start) with leaving the gaskets in place if the pushrod is the right length.

More than likely it'll be good enough, but your want to pay attention to too much/too little pressure. I.e. if it appears you don't have enough fuel, remove a gasket too much or flooding, then add a gasket.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found your thread today, enjoyed it!!

That starting problem could be a bad link between the solenoid and starter body. There is a small piece of heavy braid cable that carries current between the two. It's common to create a "pause" in the cranking before it breaks completely.
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: why VW culture is simply the best! Reply with quote

[quote="KevinAlbrecht"]
dangerbus wrote:

More than likely it'll be good enough, but your want to pay attention to too much/too little pressure. I.e. if it appears you don't have enough fuel, remove a gasket too much or flooding, then add a gasket.

Seriously...further proof of why i love this forum and the people on it.

Some inexperienced newb writes for help on christmas of all days and somehow you guys still find a way to help out.

I also sent out a message to the local vw club here in el salvador and despite christmas festivities got a message back and someone willing to come meet/help us in the morning. amazing.
Im honestly not sure how there could be greater quality group of people around a common interest... and we feel really lucky to be a small part of it. I cant wait until i actually have some useful knowledge to offer someone else here!

Even better news... i had all the right parts (and enough tequila) in the bus to fix the problem. Like new (i think) and tomorrow morning we'll be back on the road. And... the house batteries seem to be charging off the alternator again, which is what i went out there to fix in the first place. Applause

Thanks again all! VW Logo
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to watch out for on these fuel pumps is the pump diaphragm giving out. This lets fuel go down into your crankcase which can end your travels quickly. Fuel mixing with oil thins it out, it loses it's ability to lubricate, and an engine without lubrication runs for about one minute.

Not to gnash your teeth in worry, just be aware. Open up that old pump and take a good look at the diaphragm. That weep hole will let a small leak out without damage (although fuel is never good anywhere except the tank)

I love old dog in the movie by the way. Love the way s/he just watches and checks you out as you go by. I'll think of you vicariously when I take mine to puppy baths in my Eurovan.

Very Happy Very Happy
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The thing to watch out for on these fuel pumps is the pump diaphragm giving out.

I love old dog in the movie by the way. Love the way s/he just watches and checks you out as you go by. I'll think of you vicariously when I take mine to puppy baths in my Eurovan.

Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks abscate. I just replaced the old pump...luckily i had a moment of wisdom at some point on the way south to pickup a spare Very Happy

Karma (the dog) is the reason we decided to make the video. The section of her on the stairs is priceless, but watching her move around and restlessly watch us throughout is what makes the movie (in our opinion...but were bias).

We also just bought a gopro and harness for her to wear so we can see things from her point of view...promises to be hours of fun! Dancing
kirbyland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your timing correct? If too advanced- can make for a hard start, and could affect your power as well? Just thinking out loud-
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After fuel entering the crankcase (which it did via the fuel pump stand) you should dump that oil and refill with fresh 2.5 quarts.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys...I hate fear mongering, and I've been away from air cooled for a while...am I right rememberingr the fuel pump catastrophic failure puts gas into the crankcase? Someone please confirm.

A small diaphragm leak or seep is covered by the weep hole, but if the membrane lets go big time, I recall it doesn't end well.

Karma on the stairs was classic!!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's as simple as checking the oil level every morning. Remember the 45 squadron flying out of greenland in the winter during ww2 used to bleed av gas into the crank case to prevent oil freeze- and would restart the engines in the morning and boil off the fuel that was thinning out the oil. when the vent quit whistling -- Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes they were ready to fly.

So --- worry about the big stuff and the new fuel pump will take care of itself.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...sadly i didnt get these until after a long day of driving. Bus ran fine, even through the mountains here in guatemala.

I did check the oil before leaving and everything looked fine. no gas smell (that i noticed). is there something else i should be doing to check/confirm if there's gas in the oil (and/or whether i should burn it off vs drain/refill)?
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it sat for a while I would just go ahead and spend the $13 or whatever for some oil and change it out when you get a chance. What type of fuel pump did you go with? A lot of the aftermarket ones put out too much pressure, I had to add gaskets and cut the pushrod a little on mine (brosol).
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep a close eye on the oil level and the smell. If the oil level goes up, you KNOW there is something wrong. If it smells like fuel, even vaguely, there IS something wrong.

Good luck, and keep posting for us. We love this stuff.
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Just keep a close eye on the oil level and the smell. If the oil level goes up, you KNOW there is something wrong. If it smells like fuel, even vaguely, there IS something wrong.

Good luck, and keep posting for us. We love this stuff.

Will do.
No recognizable fuel smell in the oil, levels seem fine...but we'll keep an eye on it.

thanks again!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick check if you have a stuffy nose is a lighter to the dipstick BRIEFLY. if gas is in it, it will flash into flame, if not, the oil takes much longer to ignite.

Safety and smarts suggest taking the dipstick a few feet away from the bus first...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: