Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving our Kombi through mexico, central america and beyond
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are back at home in Portland, Oregon. It appears their KOMBI stayed in Costa Rica. I've continued to click on their blog to see when they are going to continue with my/ I mean their trip. Laughing
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the lag between posts...life keeps doing that.

indeed we are back in portland. funny thing happened on the road, we decided home was actually the place for us. what a fabulous realization!

so now 8months later were still intentionally unemployed and trying to figure out how to continue living the simple, free spirited adventurous lives we began when driving south...but hopefully permanently.

Were building a tiny home in our garage so we can live rent and mortgage free and then we will start focusing on how to afford more travel and adventures.

and as such...we've decided to sell the bus. its tragic and exciting all at the same time. Ill be posting an ad here on the samba soon, but we're hoping that the person who buys it shares our passions for vws, for design, and for exploration...and that the bus will continue the journey even if it isnt with behind the wheel.

if that person doesnt exist, the bus will return to portland and once again be our daily driver and only vehicle. if it does sell...were likely in the market for a single or double cab...but thats a whole other conversation Wink

if you want all the details, click here.
http://www.thedangerz.com/dreams-for-sale/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I have been following you guys since your trip started and never put two and two together. I posted your blog post up on the PDX Westravaganza thread. How sad. Hopefully we can find someone to continue your adventure. I wish it were Me.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6985461#6985461

Good luck guys, and I would love to buy you a beer here in Stumptown. PM me. I am off work through January 6th and would love to see your tiny house!
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m going to be in Costa Rica soon...I should buy it and drive it back Very Happy I do not think the wife and and kids would approve though.

Where is it in CR?
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
I`m going to be in Costa Rica soon...I should buy it and drive it back Very Happy I do not think the wife and and kids would approve though.

Where is it in CR?

The bus is just outside the airport in san jose.
our visitor permit and the bus permit essentially are frozen as long as we are away (with certain restrictions)...when we re-enter the country everything simply starts up where we left off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this!!! They might loose their split Sad

http://www.thedangerz.com/worst-vacation-ever/
Alexmobil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad thing, IŽll try to help them. Costa Rica and El Salvador arenŽt too far.
Also a vw club from Costa Rica could help them.

The key is get the bus out from the Aduana.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like their luck turned around. Great Job Bryan and Jen

http://www.thedangerz.com/what-a-difference-a-day-makes/

Woot!
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: heading back for the bus Reply with quote

not sure how many (if any) people are still following this thread but i thought id let you know we booked flights to head south and bring the bus back home (hopefully with far less issues with aduana/customs/immigration). Shocked

im currently going through my old lists trying to remember what are parts/pieces we need to take with us. no easy task after a year and a half away.

anyway, were excited to reunite with E, and to begin a slow journey home.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice glad to hear its not lost that would make me sick personally.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us informed on how things go.get it back to the NW and enjoy the trip back.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news Bryan and Jen. WOOOT! That was pins and needles last year. Glad you got it figured out and were able to store it until you were ready to get it. i know after building your tiny house, the $$ was not just pouring out of your ears. Have a safe trip home and cannot wait to hear the updates.

Best,
Jeffrey
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: after sitting for a year and a half in costa rica Reply with quote

well...could have been worse.

we found the bus covered in about a 1/2 inch of dust and debris exactly where we left if. Opened up all the windows and doors to air things out a bit before heading for customs, immigration and insurance to see if we could finally get the bus back under our name. No giant hiccups this time, all stamps in hand, and successfully "own" our bus again.

Now for getting out of storage.
Obviously all four tires were low/flat, so we used our compressor to fill up.
Checked the oil. Hair low but okay..
Blew out the fuel lines and she fired right up. amazing!
Getting into gear however was another story. When not running i could move in and out of every gear just fine, but once the engine was running i couldnt find any gear.

Checked the cable, everything was still connected but felt like there was a lot of play, so i crawled under the dirtiest bus ive even seen and started trying to tighten the cable. We have the wingnut rather than the two small nuts, but ill be damned if i could get that thing to budge more than a half turn (despite the hour+ i spent under there with my arm wrenched into that cavity). Seriously, if there's a trick to fitting a human arm in there...somebody let me know. Shocked

anyway...didn't seem to make a difference, so i tried starting it with it in gear to see if it would free things up. no luck.

quick call to our local mechanic and confirmed that we wouldnt do any damage by push starting it... moved it out of the garage and gave it a push...not only did she fire right up but the clutch freed and is now fine. yeah!

Did a bit of tweaking, but she's only running on 2 cylinders (as per usual), so we drive up the side of the mountain- literally- to our mechanics place. He seems to think he can exorcise the demons (at least i think i translated that right), so we'll let him see what he can do. So far im watching him do all the same things we've done countless times (change the plugs, clean the carbs, adjust the valves, etc)...but maybe there'll be a genius new step soon. or maybe ill just have him convert the damned thing back to a single carb before we hit the road. Shocked

either way, figured it couldn't hurt to try before the long journey home.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting! Glad to hear that you and the Bus are re-united. I hope you figure out the tuning and get all four cylinders firing again quickly. We will be glued to our monitors waiting for your updates, questions, and your tales of adventures, both buearacratic (hopefully minor), gastronomic, and fun!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys were able to get your bus back! Good luck your next adventure and here's to good karma your way.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenatious. If you shoot starting fluid down the dead side does it mometarily light?
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: broken bilstein jack Reply with quote

maybe this isnt the best place to surf for an answer...
but as i go through all our parts/pieces im reminded that our bilstein jack broke.

the hex head essentially severed right off.
is that something that can be repaired or welded back on or is it toast??
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's toast. I wouldn't trust a "repaired" stock Bus jack on the side of the road while under it trying to repair the Bus (although that isn't gonna happen any more, is it!). I'd hit an auto supply shop and buy a cheap 2 ton hydraulic post jack, or if you have the room, a small hydraulic roll-around floor jack, find a few boards, etc.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I'd say it's toast. I wouldn't trust a "repaired" stock Bus jack on the side of the road while under it trying to repair the Bus (although that isn't gonna happen any more, is it!). I'd hit an auto supply shop and buy a cheap 2 ton hydraulic post jack, or if you have the room, a small hydraulic roll-around floor jack, find a few boards, etc.

Bill

^^^This.
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Bill

yup...that kinda what i thought.
we purchased a tiny little jack when it broke but ive been lugging it around ever since hoping it could be saved.

its purged... were in weight reduction mod anyway Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: