Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No power at master cylinder
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: No power at master cylinder Reply with quote

hi all, i have a recently acquired 1967 SO-42 poptop camper whose brakelights don't work, so after searching the split bus forum I started with checking for power at the master cylinder switch. with the pedal depressed there is no power at either terminal. I ordered a new switch and a new 9-pin from WW. Any thoughts? I am a rank amateur when it comes to wiring so your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

(btw, running lights, hazards, and signals work fine)

thanks,

will
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, congrats on the new Bus!

Do you have a single- or dual-circuit master cylinder. A little way into the '67 model year VW introduced the new dual-circuit system for the Transporter (it has two brake light switches instead of one).

I am no electrical wizard either, but I'm pretty sure that whichever system you have, you should have power on one of the wires heading to the master cylinder switches. When the switch(es) engage, they complete the circuit to the outgoing wire to light the brake lights. See if you have power in one of the lines. If so, then I guess your switch(es) are at fault. Other things to check are good grounding of the taillight bulb holders to the body (many of us add a ground wire to ensure that this happens).

Out of curiousity, If your hazard lights function fine, why did you order the 9-pin relay from WW?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the fuse? I believe it is the second fuse from the right.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The master cylinder switch always has power at one terminal.... when the key is on.

If you are not getting power there, you need to check that wiring first.
Could be just the fuse as someone said above (easy fix)

Once power is going to the switch, you can make sure the taillights work by using a jumper wire across the 2 switch terminals.
Jump it and the lights should go on.

Lights work? Now you can check the switch.
Press the pedal and the taillights should go on.

If not, bad switch.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: brakelights Reply with quote

the fuse is good but there is nothing connected to it! should a wire go directly from there to one of the two master cylinder connections?

this camper is early 67, and doesn't even have back-up lights. i believe it was made in november but i'm not sure. vin is 237005386. it has a single-cylinder master.

i ordered the 9-pin because the PO said he thought it was not so good. he could easily be mistaken but i thought for 60 dollars to know that part was good it made sense.

thanks!
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: brakelights Reply with quote

will t wrote:
the fuse is good but there is nothing connected to it! should a wire go directly from there to one of the two master cylinder connections?

this camper is early 67, and doesn't even have back-up lights. i believe it was made in november but i'm not sure. vin is 237005386. it has a single-cylinder master.

i ordered the 9-pin because the PO said he thought it was not so good. he could easily be mistaken but i thought for 60 dollars to know that part was good it made sense.

thanks!

There should be a black/red wire connected to the fuse which goes directly to the MC. I have an early 67 also with the single circuit MC. Once you get a wire connected to fuse #7, you can check the function of the existing switch as mentioned in the above posts.

Do you see two wires at the brake light switch? If so, the one to the fuse may have dropped down in the gap between the nose and floor bulkhead. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by olliehank47 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: brake lights Reply with quote

you all are the best. i found that the black and red wire to/from the master cylinder was on the wrong fuse terminal. i put it where it belonged, no brake lights. so i jumped the two master cylinder terminals together and voila! brake lights. so, i will replace the switch when it arrives.

thanks!!!

will
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: brakelights Reply with quote

will t wrote:
it has a single-cylinder master.

Yes, wire from fuse connection to master cylinder switch.

Nothing at all? I think that fuse has a bunch of wires to it.
1966 wiring diagram
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_66_USA.jpg
(67 has the dual master so ignore that one)

I'm assuming the cylinder switch already has 2 wires on it?
Where do those go?
Maybe one of those is just unhooked from the fuse box for some weird reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.....just to make things clear you do have the key turned on when testing the brake lights, right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: wiring diagram Reply with quote

thank you for the diagram. yes, there was nothing connected to the second fuse from the right. as i said, i found the black and red on another fuse and moved it and when i jumped the master cylinder the brake lights worked. however, i may not be completely out of the woods with another switch because there are supposed to be two more wires coming out of that fuse. looks like one wire goes to a circular thing with six wires total to it. i don't know what that unit is. the other (third) goes to post 15 on the 9-pin, it looks like.

will
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: brake lights Reply with quote

yes, key on to test anything related to brakes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: brake lights Reply with quote

will t wrote:

Good, I've seen more than one bus rewired needlessly because someone thought it should have behaved like a North American car Confused

The circular thing (E on the diagram) is your wiper switch, brake lights, wipers and signals are all powered by fuse #7.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram Reply with quote

will t wrote:
thank you for the diagram. yes, there was nothing connected to the second fuse from the right. as i said, i found the black and red on another fuse and moved it and when i jumped the master cylinder the brake lights worked. however, i may not be completely out of the woods with another switch because there are supposed to be two more wires coming out of that fuse. looks like one wire goes to a circular thing with six wires total to it. i don't know what that unit is. the other (third) goes to post 15 on the 9-pin, it looks like.

will

Busdaddy has answered your question--one wire powers the wiper switch and the other goes to the 9-pin box. If your wipers work, then someone has connected the lead to another fuse, same with the lead to the 9-pin box. What that means for you is the wipers are now powered without the ignition switch being "on", and your turn indicators as well. Fuse 7 (counting from the left) is the only switched fuse on the fuse block and is where the brake lights, wipers, and turn signals should be connected. Trace the black wires back from the wiper switch and terminal 15 on the box and see where they are connected then, move them to fuse 7.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: brake lights Reply with quote

will t wrote:

If it's going to be on for a while, disconnect your points wire from the coil.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW make sure to disconnect the wire going from the coil to the distributor points and condenser.

Otherwise if you leave the ignition switch on while testing, you can have the points burn up if they happen to be closed.
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: brake lights Reply with quote

thanks for all the sage advice everyone. i'll have another look at things tomorrow. i may have damaged the points by accidentally leaving the ignition on for a bit. when i drove the van this afternoon something felt a little weird... i'll look at them as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: