Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overhead light falling out?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

Hi Guys - another stupid question...

The overhead lights on my '86 Syncro were in rough shape. The two in back were ok - but the one over the drivers seat was cracked, and split in half when I tried to check the bulb. The passenger seat light also has a crack in it.

I ordered a new one, and installed it, but it doesn't seem to want to stay up in place. It feels like the headliner is too thick, and the spring clip can't quite catch the metal frame. I've tried holding it in place, and giving it a thump with my fist, but it won't stay up. Now I'm thinking of cutting a little of the headline out of the way, because I think that may just be adding too much bulk...but I am a little nervous cutting the headliner.

Alternatively I could pull/bend the metal tabs on the light- but they are so thin, I imagine they will break pretty quickly.

This seems like a stupid thing...but it is annoying. Anyone have this issue, and have some tips?

One other question - were there ever lights in the middle of the roof, or just on the sides?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

Post pictures of both the light and the headliner area.
If you need an owners manual go to westfaliat3.info and download one, a wealth of information. It will show the interior lights.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the area - along with the replacement light, and half the original light.

Looking at it more closely in the light of day, I can see the original spring clip is curved, and the new one is straight. I wonder if that is causing the issue?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found that manual - very helpful. Thanks for the link. Now I know my sideview mirrors are heated! or at least supposed to be, the power function is broken - added to my list of things to fix.

I also see there is a "reading lamp" on page 49 of the manual. I've never seen this, and a quick google search - I don't see any. Anyone ever seen one of these in the wild?

My bus is missing the glove box/map lights

Quick stupid question - I always thought of Squarebacks/Notchbacks/Fastbacks as type 3s. What is a vanagon - is it a Type 3? IT seems like I see it referred to as such in some places.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

Never seen a "reading lamp". Guessing it was a feature in markets other than USA.

I've found it's really important that when you push the plastic clip end in first, to hold it in the hole very hard, so that it doesn't tip back out when you push in the end with the metal retaining spring. It can very easily slip past the tiny plastic clip and then have nothing to keep it in place.
So, I'd advise push harder, both toward the plastic clip end and into the socket, to make sure it stays there while simultaneously pushing the other end into place.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Quick stupid question - I always thought of Squarebacks/Notchbacks/Fastbacks as type 3s. What is a vanagon - is it a Type 3? IT seems like I see it referred to as such in some places.

A Vanagon is a Type 2 Transporter, 3rd generation. Ergo, a Type 2 T3. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

Regarding the type designation.
Type 2 T3. Not Type 3. The UK in an attempt too avoid confusion designated them T25s.
Now T 6.5 is current.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

Regarding read lamps. As I understand it they were standard on Tristars and the Executive models.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

ok - I went a little crazy with this, probably stupidly.

I took the clip from the old light and swapped it with the one on the new light. Still wouldn't work.

I glued the old one back together with crazy glue. Seemed relatively stiff, but definitely not strong enough.

Then I tried another light - and used a flat head screwdriver to really jamb the tab over - and I think that did it.
I guess I was used to these springs not being so tight. I got to say if I had not bought an extra one of these lights, I would not have been willing to put as much pressure on that light as I did. I thought I was going to break it.

At this point - I think it is engaged with the roof....

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhead light falling out? Reply with quote

I also replaced the doors switch at the driver's door, and rewired and replaced the switch at the tail gate.

Now all the interior lights come on when I open any door - and they are all much brighter than before.

Small victories...

Now I just read that there was a light option with a delayed off. I think parts # 191947111

That would be a cool feature to have. Another rabbit hole to explore....

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: