Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner Flocking replacement on 78 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Headliner Flocking replacement on 78 Westy Reply with quote

I've completely redone the fiberglass top on my bus. It looks brand new - maybe better (if that's possible). The old flocking on the inside is now gone and I want to replace it with something that will help control the condensation. I've owned pick up truck camper shells that were lined with a thin marine carpet and it worked great. However, I have had a hard time finding the right material to put up there. I found out that the material that I am looking for is called Trunk Liner - but it only comes in Black and a few shades of grey/heathered black. I'd love to find it in a tan or heathered tan. Anyone found anything like it or have another suggestion?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you did a great job!! I dont know of what you can use but I will be watching this. I put on new canvas last year and while I had the top off I bleached the flocking ( that worked great for the moldy spots) and tried to scrub some flocking off not knowing why it was there. On my last camp trip condesation on the part where I removed the flocking was beading up. I felt the section with the flocking and it was moist holding the condensation, doing its job. Bottom line you definately want to find some sort of fabric to put up there felt mabey? Might want to try a marine/rv shop.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put the flocking back?, there's lots of kits for doing the job at home, Google is your friend here.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Great suggestion to just add flocking back the way it was. I was hoping to use something a bit thicker for noise and temperature insulation. I do quite a bit of camping year round, including snow camping here in WA.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so how about something like this then?: http://www.sailrite.com/Headliner-Vinyl-Bright-White-Foam-Backed-White-54

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BusDaddy! You've provided some great suggestions. I'll take a look at the various options and see what might work best. I plan to be finished with this stage of the restoration by April and hope to be at the NW Springmeet. At least that's my goal. . . but still lots to do. I'll post more photos once I get more done.
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Westfalia Pop Top Flocking replacement Polymat Reply with quote

Here is what I think I'll try. they offer it in several colors (but I am going with tan). it's only 2mm thick, so it will be nice and thin, but still offer condensation protection. I'll let you know how it is when I get it in.
http://www.polymatcarpet.com/products/carpet
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay - following up on this thread. I decided to go with a Speaker box material since it was all synthetic, thin, stretchable, and came in a nice tan (my bus is Dakota Beige). But, the material would not really follow stretch quite enough to dip low between the support beams in the roof and not be too slack along the sides where the support beams taper to 0. So, I decided to go with a flat section in the middle. Then, I could also add in insulation for winter camping (it will also reduce condensation).

I added a small piece under the long piece of insulation in the middle (peak of roof) to take up the rest of the space. it fit perfect and filled in all the gaps.
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next, I cut a piece of formica laminate to cover all the insulation and provide a smooth substrate beneath the headliner material.

Can't take it all the way to the ends though. Otherwise it blocks the tack board for attaching the tent. It would also block the attachment of the metal support bar at the front.
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I glued down the new headliner material and trimmed the edges. it stretched and molded around the ends very nicely. Now, my roof is warm in the winter, cool in the summer and quieter year round. Also, no more condensation drips on the face when you wake up! #Sleep

Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Applause
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, another project I have to add my list now. Thanks a lot! Razz

Looks like a quality job you did there! Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!, that looks nice!, good job!

Слава Україні!
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments. I know it isn't original, but It looks nice and clean in addition to making it much more usable for the wife and I to snow camp.
Overall, the project was relatively easy - once I figured out what I wanted to do and how to do it. Cutting the laminate perfectly was the hardest, but a Dremel with a cutting wheel did a nice job.

Up next, cleaning and clear coating the latch and catch. Already sandblasted and painted the rear hinges and they look great!
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so I made a small change. I wasn't keen on the darker color of this tan. I wanted something lighter and I found it. it is marine hull-liner/headliner from www.perfectfit.com - and fortunately, they are located in Seattle, so I just ran over there and picked it up. (side note, they also have a great double foiled sound and thermal insulation to replace the foil and batting insulation between the gas tank compartment and the tranny). Here's the link - http://www.perfectfit.com/15593/154092/Marine-Carpet-and-Hulliner/Hulliner-and-Headliner-72.html
I went with the "Sand Stratos"

Now it will match my new tent perfectly! Laughing
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Looks really good! Very Happy
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super job. Great inspiration. I am pursuing a similar modification on my 79 Westy "Constance" for at least the sound dampening.

May I please inquire as to how your headliner and insulation is holding up after 2 years in action?

Also, have you experienced any unintended consequences? Like maybe water condensation, vibration noise or anything?

Thanks in advance for any update and advice.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.

Last edited by Our79Westy on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread, but how did you secure the laminate down to the roof? Just contact cement or something?

That looks killer, I was trying to think of a way to get some sound deadening up there.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks so good id consider using it to replace the actual headliner in a passenger model. I don't really like the classic headliners unless they are absolutely perfect, and nearly none of them are.

if I had a show vehicle, id go stock, but for a driver I really like the idea of this setup in any bus.
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry for not responding to the questions here. Somehow, I wasn't being notified of replies on this thread.

So far, I have been exceptionally happy with my roof system. It is quieter and warmer. It looks super clean and has stayed attached (which was my primary concern).
However, I have only had it out camping and on gravel roads about 1/2 a dozen times. The roof has been in the hot sun of Eastern Washington and the cold wet days of Western WA.
To attach the laminate, I sanded the bonding surfaces to create teeth. I then used contact cement - red can. I also used a lot of pressure and hard rubber rollers to make sure it was all pressed uniformly. Making sure the laminate fits perfectly without any stress on the edges is key.

Unintended things I had to deal with:
weight. Formica is light, but it still adds some more weight up top. I don't notice it as much, but my wife does.
strength: the roof is super strong now. I created basically a reinforced box. I can walk on the roof now with very little flex.
fittment issues: Even though the laminate is thin, it acts as a shim between a few parts that will need to be realigned. Also the hull liner material also adds extra thickness. 1) front support bar and latch. The screws are just barely long enough to get started. It can be done, but is frustrating. I replaced most of mine with stainless, so it wasn't as big of a deal. 2) H bar in the front. Because the upper attachment points are mounted to the roof on top and the side, I had to drill the side holes a bit lower for proper alignment.

Other than that, it was a solid project that was totally worth it. Most people (even at shows) don't notice it isn't stock unless you point it out, or they are looking close. Amazing how many people never look up. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: