Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Refrigerator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Refrigerator Reply with quote

Was just cleaning out the garage and found this not sure where i got it,stuff just acumulates over the years out there.
? is what is it i know its some sort of timer charger for a fridge but whats the porper name for it thank you for your help
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
wife=72 squareback

http://beachesbugsbuses.com/

https://www.facebook.com/germanmetalvwclub
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just referred to as a "Control Panel" in the '78 Westy service manual. It selects the power source for the refrigerator and controls (via timer) charging of the aux. battery. I don't know yet what range of years it applies to (you might look at the backside to see if there's a date stamp) but it's at least '76-79.

Plan to sell it?
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post a picture of the backside? I know mine is wired in incorrectly and I would like to see a color photo of one that is hopefully not tampered with. Thank you.

Leap into the boundless and make it your home! ---Chuang-Tzu

Please let me know if you do not receive this message...
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the whole thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453294

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I actually think I have that thread saved. I forgot about it. It's been such a cold Fall that I think I will be sending my bus into hibernation soon. Last year I drove it all the way into December. I guess the fridge repair will have to wait until Spring.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aopisa wrote:
Thanks. I actually think I have that thread saved. I forgot about it. It's been such a cold Fall that I think I will be sending my bus into hibernation soon. Last year I drove it all the way into December. I guess the fridge repair will have to wait until Spring.

? Winter is the perfect time for Bus repairs/maintenance!
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
aopisa wrote:

You can call me a wimp, but I don't enjoy working in average temperatures in the teens to 20's.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aopisa wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
aopisa wrote:

You can call me a wimp, but I don't enjoy working in average temperatures in the teens to 20's.

I have the same quandary. All summer it's like "I'll enjoy the Bus now and work on it over the winter!" In the winter it's like "Too cold out; I'd much rather work on the Bus in warm weather..."

This year was great with that early spring... my Bus got a new front end out of it! Very Happy
brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info,,,im not sure about selling it not really sure what to sell it for!!!!im kinda of a hoarder lol on my vw parts but if the money sounds good i might get rid of it
wife=72 squareback

http://beachesbugsbuses.com/

https://www.facebook.com/germanmetalvwclub
hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty archaic now. Inexpensive electronic regulated chargers that are small enough for pemanent hidden installation negates the need for a "charger timer", and most of those small auto-chargers detect battery condition far better than a simple voltmeter does. The rest of the stuff on that board just routes power from the external 110v connector and can be just as well done by a few toggles that are clearly marked.

Nevertheless it does have that 'original' appeal and could be modified to become a central control location for all things electrical that have to do with the camper function of busses.

In mine that big hole will be used for some other purpose if I keep that cabinet when I get around to reconfiguring that area of my bus that is behind the cab. I'm busy with the cab right now.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of auto-battery tenders...there was a guy who had one wired up to charge any time he plugged it in...does anyone have any info on that? recommended parts ect? i can handle the wiring, but what kind of parts ect?

Thanks!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two of them, different brands, one in a dodge truck and the other in a Porsche replicar. I can't get you brand names right now, Stuart, but they're small (about 6"x7") and commonly available. I got the one in the truck last year through Amazon so search on something like "onboard 12 volt chargers" or the like.

They both work as advertised and cut back automatically from their max of about 6 amps to a trickle when they see a full battery. They run cool too - the one in the little porschelike is laid right against the battery with no melting or smells.

I should be able to give you one namebrand within a couple of hours - the other's out of town just now.

Stuart, the charger in the replicar is just a 1.5 amp trickler made by Shumakuaer or however you spell that common maker of low tech chargers. It's just wired +/- to the battery and has a 110 cord to pull out of the car and plug in. The one in the truck is fancier (more expensive), more involved hardwire as I remember. I'll get that name when I can if you still want.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill do a bit of searching on amazon and the like. im looking to hook it up so i can plug in the stock shore power plug, and it automatically charges the batteries, and i can still run whatever from the plugs. Smile

Thanks!!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brightmanly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Fuse popping when timer charger goes on Reply with quote

These refrigerator threads have been great. I've got a problem, though, and I'm looking for help.
When I have my fridge panel connected to city power and the fridge is "on", if I turn on the timer dial to charge the auxiliary battery, the converter fuse under the Z bed immediately pops. Does anybody know what's going on?
There may be a clue in that when I press the battery check button, the needle moves from low to even lower, even though I've checked the battery with an independant meter and it shows that its got about a 60% charge. Also, a friend and I recents replaced the old battery with a new deep cycle marine battery. I'm pretty certain we installed it correctly.
Is there some sort of reverse polarity going on? I need to know where to start.
Thank you
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a short somewhere in the system....start with the switch and work outwards.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
celestine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Refrigerator Reply with quote

brownie wrote:
Was just cleaning out the garage and found this not sure where i got it,stuff just acumulates over the years out there.
? is what is it i know its some sort of timer charger for a fridge but whats the porper name for it thank you for your help
[/img]

Hello friend..Please as possible..Need help to repair my power supply for the refregirator.....Whos know a place to buy a parts or a New Power Supply for my West 1977

THank you so much for All..........
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone specifically selling parts for the power supply or control panel. Some of the usual used VW parts places like BusCo or BustedBus may occasionally have Westys they're parting out and sometimes this stuff gets posted here in the classifieds.

What is the problem you're trying to repair? Did you know that not only there is a fuse in the control panel, but some models also have a fuse inside the power supply (transformer) itself. Also, there are diodes in the power supply that can go bad. These can be replaced with modern equivalents. A schematic of the power supply and control panel can be found in the Technical section here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1978westymanual.php

If you own and know how to use a multimeter, I can probably help you diagnose the problem.
celestine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
I don't know anyone specifically selling parts for the power supply or control panel. Some of the usual used VW parts places like BusCo or BustedBus may occasionally have Westys they're parting out and sometimes this stuff gets posted here in the classifieds.

What is the problem you're trying to repair? Did you know that not only there is a fuse in the control panel, but some models also have a fuse inside the power supply (transformer) itself. Also, there are diodes in the power supply that can go bad. These can be replaced with modern equivalents. A schematic of the power supply and control panel can be found in the Technical section here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1978westymanual.php

If you own and know how to use a multimeter, I can probably help you diagnose the problem.

Hello Friend.Thank you very much for your help....

Tonight I do another Test with a Power Supply Ham Radio 20 amps 13.8 volts.

I check the original power supply and I saw the Voltage drop to 5 Volts when I opened the switch button on....Nothing come,,,I dont hear nothing from the refregirator....Let me know if I hear some noise come from the refregortpr when I open the powers supply,,,,,,,,,,Or if the refregirator is bad....What is my next Testing if my current voltage is ok with a New power supply.......

Let me know.......Thank you very much again...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fridge makes no noise, the way to determine if it's operating is feel the tube coming out of the top of the metal wrapped insulated area, it should get very warm after ~1/2 hour. Test the heaters with an OHM meter for resistance, they are located at the bottom of that insulated section and have 2 cloth wrapped wires each (usually white) leading to them. If they fail your local RV repair shop will have spares as many different Dometic fridges use the same units.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celestine -I'm not entirely clear from your reply as to whether the output voltage from your original power supply was normal (13V or so) before you turned on your refrigerator. If it was, and your voltage then dropped to only 5V, you could have one of several problems:

1. There is a very poor connection or contact somewhere between the supply and the refrigerator causing a voltage drop when the large refrigerator current is drawn. With the refrigerator turned on, measure voltage right at the output of the power supply. If it is normal there, but low at the refrigerator, trace through the path and find the bad connection. The schematic in the repair manual is your guide.

2. The power supply is bad, likely a failed diode but this should show up as a lower than normal voltage at the output of the supply even when the refrigerator is turned off.

3. The refrigerator is drawing considerable excess current. I believe the normal resistance and current is shown in the repair manual. You can use your meter to measure this and compare to normal.

The repair manual also has a troubleshooting guide for the refrigerator.
FYI - there are differences between Canadian and US models.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: