Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official... Fake Meyers Manx items
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Official... Fake Meyers Manx items Reply with quote

All,

In light of the Faux Manx listed on *bay, there are similar items which you should also consider as NOT AUTHENTIC nor LICENSED Meyers Manx items. I would challenge Meyers Manx owners to treat these items as the fake manx listed as counterfeit and Trademark infringements.
As such, I respectfully request anyone to reconsider the purchase of these items.
Unless the seller has requested of Bruce and Winnie Meyers the rights to produce, reproduce or solicit items which are branded with the Meyers manx logo, these items are produced and being sold illegally.

Tool roll
Watches
Stickers
Badges

If it is not on the Meyers Manx Inc. website as for sale, it is most likely a fake or knockoff.

For instance...TOOL ROLL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEYERS-MANX-Logo-TOOL-ROLL...mp;vxp=mtr

Watch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyers-Manx-Vw-Dune-Buggy-...mp;vxp=mtr

Chris Lewis
Manxclub member 66

---------------------------------

Moderator note:
Glenn wrote:
Topic Rules:
1) Post links to ads/auctions that claim to be genuine Bruce Myers products - parts or vehicles.
2) Explain why they are fake.
3) Discuss if you agree or disagree
4) Do not engage in discussions on how to go after the person.

Somehow the Split bug people are able to do this and i'm sure you can too.

This is not a ongoing "Whine" topic.

Let's give the members a place to learn why something is a fake and to avoid making a mistake. Filling the topic with useless posts will just make it harder to get the facts out.

Thank You.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen fake wheel center caps.
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beware...Fake Meyers Manx items in general Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:
All,

In light of the Faux Manx listed on *bay, there are similar items which you should also consider as NOT AUTHENTIC nor LICENSED Meyers Manx items. I would challenge Meyers Manx owners to treat these items as the fake manx listed as counterfeit and Trademark infringements.
As such, I respectfully request anyone to reconsider the purchase of these items.
Unless the seller has requested of Bruce and Winnie Meyers the rights to produce, reproduce or solicit items which are branded with the Meyers manx logo, these items are produced and being sold illegally.

Tool roll
Watches
Stickers
Badges

If it is not on the Meyers Manx Inc. website as for sale, it is most likely a fake or knockoff.

For instance...TOOL ROLL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEYERS-MANX-Logo-TOOL-ROLL...mp;vxp=mtr

Watch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyers-Manx-Vw-Dune-Buggy-...mp;vxp=mtr

Chris Lewis
Manxclub member 66

I want to add a little to Chris' post (Chris, hopefully you don't mind). I had the honor to spend a few days with the Meyers this past week and personally saw the pain (I'm talking emotional pain) that these unauthorized products cost them. I was present when they were made aware of the scam currently being perpetrated on Ebay regarding the Manx authentication certificate and a non-Manx dune buggy. I was also present when a well-intentioned/grateful person gave Bruce one of the watches that Chris provided a link to. While humbled and thankful, there was hurt in Bruce's face and voice when he explained that this is just "one more example of someone stealing his work for their personal gain."

Contrary to some popular belief that the Meyer's are "rolling in the dough" I believe the business they run just keeps them afloat. For most of us it's a hobby. For the Meyers it is their living.

Please remember the next time you are considering buying an unauthorized product, we - the dune buggy community - have benefited from the creativity, passion, and blood-sweat-and-tears from this 86 year old man. Do we owe the Meyers anything? I know I do. My wife and I have found something that we both enjoy (and those things are few and far between). For me... that's priceless.

Just my two cents.

Bud
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware...Fake Meyers Manx items in general Reply with quote

1madmanx wrote:

Please remember the next time you are considering buying an unauthorized product, we - the dune buggy community - have benefited from the creativity, passion, and blood-sweat-and-tears from this 86 year old man. Do we owe the Meyers anything? I know I do. My wife and I have found something that we both enjoy (and those things are few and far between). For me... that's priceless.

Just my two cents.

Bud

Well said Bud.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, that tool roll seller is from Wilmington, NC. Go get 'em, Vince!

As for the watch... just another rip-off from overseas. Unfortunately there is just no way to keep stuff like that at bay; the legal costs alone would bankrupt the Meyers. As Bud said, buy only stuff from the source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Unfortunately there is just no way to keep stuff like that at bay; the legal costs alone would bankrupt the Meyers.

Ummm... I'd have to say that there IS something that fans of the Meyers Manx can do against illicit sellers on Fleecepay/etc.... be vigilant in reporting these bogus items to those auction websites that advertise them. I find this stuff by simply web-surfing -

This can help to slowdown the sell of unlicensed merchandise.

bryan
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the folks that care about the Meyers' and their industry, certainly the true fans of the marque can report bogus items and support the Meyers'. But as mentioned in another thread, fleabay does little to nothing to stem the sellers of those items. There will always be sellers looking to cash in on someone else's fame and it's the uninitiated that get stung the most.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brian entirely. As mentioned, *bay does not seem to work in the favor of Trademark/forged items.

The best way to stem these items and their bearers is to send a loud and resolute answer to the forgers and not buy their items. Economic boycotting these items ( fake "the last set I have nose badges", watches , etc.) and the sellers of such items will result in them not having an outlet for their junk and ultimately their halting production of fakes, forgeries and knockoffs.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into the purchases of the tool pouches being sold; 5-6 were sold to buyers from UK & Australia, the rest I looked at were sold to US buyers. So it's definitely an international issue as well. Makes it worse if those buyers are not privy to the Samba & posts like this verifying the goods to be illegitimate.

Some people will sell anything for a dollar. Even on the back of other people's efforts.

bryan
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

Some people will sell anything for a dollar. Even on the back of other people's efforts.
bryan

Sad economic fact. There have been forgers for thousands of years, this is no different. Believe me, if I had the resources I'd be glad to produce just about anything the Meyers' would want to have as a promotional item at no cost to them..

The guy with the tool rolls is using other manufacturer's logos as well. If one of those larger manufacturers..Ferrari, for instance, got wind of it there would definitely be one less seller on eBay... Ferrari just got an email Cool
funnybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay has a Vero program to protect licensing. (I got in trouble with ebay when I listed a set of Dick Harrell decals for a model car that were made by a cottage industry company known as Cady)

Nonetheless, when Dick Harrell's daughter Valerie saw them, she contacted ebay who immediately pulled them and slapped my hand. (and removed my trusted seller rating for 6 months) grrrrrrrrrr.

So all that has to happen is the name 'Meyers Manx' be trademarked and registered with ebay's Vero group and all this nonsense can end with every f/g buggy being a Manx.

Well, except for that idiot on counting cars.. there's no help for him and shame shame on the History Channel

All tissues aren't "Kleenex" but everyone thinks they are
ugly buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha Come-on ... You don't have to look any further then this site to see fraudulent posting for Manx bodied projects...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230866985160?item=23086698...mp;vxp=mtr

Seller says that "NOTE..Meyers has NEVER made decals..these are not an infringement on any of Bruce Meyers products."

The Seller obviously doesn't know the history of Meyers & the fact that early cars had decals...

And tried to tell me that Meyers never made decals.

Suggestion: If you're going to make an illegal/illegitimate/bogus product that is owned by someone else, AND offer it For Sale on a public forum, then it's best to do some research before you attempt to do so. People with knowledge will find you out...

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent this message to him:
Hi there,
As a sign guy who deals with copyrighted items all day, every day, your selling of these decals is a direct copyright violation. Regardless of whether Meyers sold stickers initially (which they did in the early days)the Manx logo and typeface is copyrighted. Reproducing the image is an infringement on that copyright and could quite easily be pursued by the Meyers as a company. Be prepared; all the Manx items for sale on eBay are now under scrutiny by numerous people. It's just a matter of time before the lawyers are called in and the cease and desist letters go out.

We'll see what transpires. Probably nothing, but hey, it doesn't hurt to try.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: My note to vinyl guy Reply with quote

Hi Letterman and everyone. I just sent this note to the vinyl guy re his auction. I have asked him to remove his auction or I (and many other Dune buggy owners ) will report him to ebay for Trademark and copyright infringement.
Sorry for the dual post..not sure that everyone is following the fake manx saga also!

Do you know what a Meyers Manx is>? The car you have the stickers on is NOT a Meyers Manx. When you sell items like this, people will buy them and stick them on whatever buggy they want...and that is misleading to them, to the people that see the car and to the people that they may sell the car to. I respectfully request that you pull your EBAY auction. If you do not, I (along with a great number of Dune buggy owners) will report this (and any other auction in which you attempt to sell these labels). This auction is a copyright and trademark infringement which is illegal and not supported by EBAY.

I have four Meyers Manx buggies. I am proud to own these cars and items like these vinyl stickers are misleading to the general population and diminish the Meyers Manx marque.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the proper thing to do is have the Meyer's lawyer draft a letter to eBay basically stating the obvious - misrepresentation of a copyrighted brand by eBay sellers will be met with penalties, and eBay, being the holder of the internet IP address, will be also held responsible and subject to fines. It can be done, it's just a matter of how involved the Meyers want to become. It's a shame... it'll take a load of money that they probably don't have just in litigation. Anyone a lawyer who owns a Manx want to start a class action suit pro-bono?
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Really, the proper thing to do is have the Meyer's lawyer draft a letter to eBay basically stating the obvious - misrepresentation of a copyrighted brand by eBay sellers will be met with penalties, and eBay, being the holder of the internet IP address, will be also held responsible and subject to fines. It can be done, it's just a matter of how involved the Meyers want to become. It's a shame... it'll take a load of money that they probably don't have just in litigation. Anyone a lawyer who owns a Manx want to start a class action suit pro-bono?

i agree but we can be their long reaching arm...they can run their business and we collectively can help try to police this type of junk.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="monomanx"]
Letterman7 wrote:
I agree but we can be their long reaching arm...they can run their business and we collectively can help try to police this type of junk.

Agreed. Vigilant perusal of Ebay ads by those that care about the Meyers' efforts CAN help slow down this bogus crap be sold.

Vinyl guy on Ebay is saying that the Meyers logo/design/artwork is NOT protected property? Prove it, and I'll back away from efforts to stop the bogus dealers...

bryan
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just checked on his manx vinyl sticker auction and it has been pulled

This listing (230866985160) has been removed, or this item is not available.
Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

Let's keep them at BAY

Chris
Ruska B1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ID tags on the German eBay > http://www.ebay.de/itm/Typenschild-buggy-Meyers-Ma...3cc851bd8b
I've sent an email to Winnie Meyers in the past but the seller didn't stop selling....

Sellers e-mail [email protected]

'68 Meyers Manx
'71 US Opel GT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: