Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx KickOut Build Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

This is my Manx KickOut build project.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The project actually started back in late 1969 / early 1970 while I was in Jr High School. My father and I had just met Bruce Meyers at a car show and we spent most of our time going over the new Dune Buggies. My father turned to me and told me if I got straight A's in school, he'd buy a dune buggy for me. He thought it would be a great father & son project and I'd have my license soon. It was then that I started planning this build. Only problem with the plan was that I didn't keep my grades up.

I have had two Meyers Manx dune buggies since.

The first was a yellow Manx that was built by a previous owner with questionable welding skills. Although it was spooky to drive at speeds over 45 and wasn't much to look at, it was still a lot of fun.

The second Meyers Manx was built by someone who obviously had a lot of welding back ground. I was living in the mid-west and met a guy that wanted to restore the metal flake on local bass boats and he asked if he experiment with my Manx. A lot of time & effort went into restoring Manx number two and although the metal flake didn't quite turn out as I'd hoped somebody made an offer I couldn't refuse and it too sold.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash forward to the present.....

I've had a dozen projects since and shortly after the last one sold, my wife recommended another dune buggy. I had just shown her pictures of Bruce Meyers and his new KickOut that I had taken at the Knotts Berry Farm Kit Car Show. Shortly after, I drove down to Valley Center and put down my deposit.

Winnie tried to talk me out of the purple metalflake because the coloring would bleach out so quickly in the sunlight. The whole theme of this build was, not only to be my first manx built from scratch, but to build the manx I had planned way back in school. I honestly don't like the color purple, but for some reason, it made sense when I was 14.

When I returned to pick up my new KickOut, I noticed that Bruce pulled a fast one on me. The metalflake was actually blue with red pearl added into the clear coat. The artist Bruce just smiled at me and asked: "what do you get when you mix blue and red?" Although I was trying to stay true to the plans I made as a 14 year old kid, I was regretting the purple choice and was actually relived to see that Bruce knew best (how did he know my favorite color is blue?).

So ultimately, I now have a blue metalflake dune buggy that changes to purple when the light hits it just right:

Thank you Bruce. I now have a very unique Manx that's the best of two worlds, past & present.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After putting a deposit on the body, the search for a donor car resulted in a 1969 Type 1 with IRS.

It ran, drove and stopped well and was in fantastic mechanical shape but there was significant rust in the rear package tray that helped negotiate a better price. The original black with yellow license plate from the 60's was a must for this build.

Last edited by SoCal67Volks on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Love that color choice! Bruce does still have some flare up his sleeve.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool story! keep us posted on the build. I have to ask, will you be ready for Big Bear?! There's a call out for all Kick-Outs for that event!

Good luck with the build!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Wow! Love that color choice! Bruce does still have some flare up his sleeve.

Yes, he certainly does!
When I first said that this isn't the color I ordered, the twinkle in Bruce's eye and his smile was priceless!

Ultimately, it's his art.

I couldn't be happier with Bruce's decision. It may very well be the only KickOut in this color.

After loading the trailer, My wife and I had a nice long visit with Bruce and Winnie. They are great people!

Last edited by SoCal67Volks on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote:
will you be ready for Big Bear?!

The build started over a year ago and has been slow going. Getting the donor car registered and insured before disassembly proved to be a royal pain. Some of the major hurdles are behind me now and much progress has been made.

Completion in time for the Big Bear Bash is the objective and I'm 99% sure I'll make it.

I'd like to make it to the Solvang run as well but get nervous each time I look at the calendar (50/50 chance).

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of California updated its rules regarding "Special Construction" vehicles.
Originally, the rules stated that if you were to remove the body from a 1974 Impala and replace it with the fountain from Cesar's Palace, in the eyes of the CA DMV, it would still be a '74 Impala.

That was a few short years ago and they have since changed the rules to go after the Kit Car Cobra's. They took issue with brand new chassis and bodies being registered as vehicles from the 60's and flying under the smog regulations. The reg's were recently changed to define a special construction vehicle as any vehicle that does not keep its original profile. So you can add some flares or a wing to a car and a Baja Bug is now pushing the envelope. Unfortunately, the rules that were intended to get the kit car Cobra's into the smog rules sucked the Manx into the "Special Construction" as collateral damage.

All of this was happening just as I was starting this project. I stayed my original course and got the '69 donor fully registered and insured in my name. What a hassle that turned out to be! The car changed hands several times and tracking down all of the prior owners, getting receipts, signatures and paying over $700 in unpaid back fees & fines took a lot of time. Anyway, it's done and I can legally drive it on the street. I now wonder if going the "Special Construction" route would have been any cheeper or quicker? Oh well, I get to keep the vintage plates!

Anyway, it's time to harvest the hardware:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a Baja Bug given to him. The body was in very poor shape and someone cut the back half of the roof off to create a truck (we guess). The rear package or luggage area was in great shape as was the chassis. A deal was struck and the body from my donor car was recycled finding a new home.

(I'm kinda diggin that lifted look / Class 11 on steroids?)

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the donor car to my friends place were we could get the body up higher and set it onto its new pan.

While I had a free spot in the garage, a friend from work had a garage fire that was primarily at the roof level. His insurance totaled his dune buggy and he needed to get everything out to start the demo & rebuild. I was in the right place at the right time and picked up the toasty but salvageable dune buggy for an awesome deal.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting all of the smelly stuff off before my wife gets home & the second harvest for parts began.

Last edited by SoCal67Volks on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sold the rolling chassis and with the sale of all of the accessories, the motor will be almost free. Not bad for a few days work.
The only downside is all this soot and ash.... This crap is very invasive and got all over the place.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gene Berg 2180 with dual Dellorto's is the keeper and I can't wait to drop the clutch with this puppy hanging out back!

The plastic & rubber components got charred and be replaced with new with a thorough clean-up.

I will eventually install the Bruce Meyers ceramic 1 5/8 merged "Sidewinder" I have but that (very loud) Stinger exhaust will be put to good use as I fully intend to piss my crappy neighbor off for a while first!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to throw in a shot of the really cool engine stand adapter I picked up from a vendor on TheSamba.
Actually both the bus bell housing and the adapter was a barter trade for the hydraulics from the "Fire Buggy".

This is a great way to test fire and leak check motors before installed into the car.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fire Buggy found a new home just in time to bring my 69 IRS chassis home.

I've already built a wheeled roller stand for the body that's high enough to do the wiring while sitting in a chair.

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool build, Bruce must have wanted a variation on the last blue one he saw Cool

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and both daughters got together and bought a pair of BFG 295 rear tires for my birthday. I had the centers from my stock wheels removed and welded into new 10" rims that were powder coated metallic silver.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the nostalgic look

Before:

After:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of no return:

Everything drawn together, measured 10X and level (and measured again):

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spreading the forward section, compressing the rear and a lot of hammering, the square front matched the round rear and the tunnel was welded. The pan sheet metal needs to be pie-sliced and welded still (tomorrow)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: