Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator/charging system woes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
90quattro20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Generator/charging system woes Reply with quote

Hello, all.

I am attempting to determine what is wrong with my charging system.

I bought new battery two months ago, and my 71 Super, which had been sitting but was in decent tune, fired up and drove great for a while. (I polarized the generator before installing the battery.) Now it will not start on its own, but I can jump start it and it will run/drive without issues until I key-off.

I am confused by the fact that it runs without problems. I do not think the battery is bad; my guess is that the generator is not charging the battery, but produces enough juice to keep my motor running.

When I put the leads across the battery posts, the meter reads 6-8 volts. When I check voltage between the two wires leading into the voltage regulator, I get close to 0 volts. When I put the meter leads on the two wires leading out of the VR, there is between 6-8 volts. I'm guessing this 6-8 comes from my dying battery, not from my generator.

How do I decide whether my generator or VR is broken?

Thanks for any guidance! (And please, do not ask me to run a search; I already did and couldn't find what I need.)
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your battery was in good shape, you could tell by how much the battery was being charged by. In my alternated beetle, the Voltage Regulator keeps the battery charged at 14.2v. If it exceeds 14.2v, the regulator is bad. But if the voltage is below 13.8v, then your charging system is to blame. The minimum is 13.8v for the battery to be charged.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

a start
90quattro20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Thanks. I will try this test again, with a little better jumper wire, and go from there. My expectation is that my generator is kaputt.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90quattro20v wrote:
When I put the leads across the battery posts, the meter reads 6-8 volts.

Your battery is bad. Note that just because a battery reads 12 volts not under load, that alone does not mean the battery is OK. 6 - 8 volts ist kaput !!!

When running, at like 2000 rpm, the voltage measured across the battery must be about 13.5 - 14.5 volts if the charging system is working OK.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: