Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"homemade" tools??...photo results FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results Reply with quote

Robbie - I talked to Stuart and he said you are the coolest person you know Laughing Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Is it a t2a or t2b rubber band?

9.5x905 Continental, Made in Germany. Also, my Colorado New Belt is starting to crack like the old one. Right around 15,000 like the last one… And I'll be running it into the ground like the last one. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results Reply with quote

I have this: http://www.aircoolednut.com/erkson/ttt/VW_Manuals/
I think it's only Type III stuff but I'm sure there's some things that cross-over. For those who need help making their own tools Cool
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Temperature Sensor II Testing Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I made up an aluminum block to hold the sensor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This block allows easy connection to itself (note 1/4" blade terminal bolted to it, up at the top edge). The block has enough thermal mass such that you can heat it up, and it will hold its temperature long enough to take a reading at a stable temperature. The block is drilled to hold two sensors so that you can compare an unknown sensor to a known good sensor, having them both at the same temperature. There is a "well" drilled between the two sensor holes where you can insert a temperature probe of some kind in a drop of oil to accurately measure the temperature of the block.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Wheel removal and install tool Reply with quote

Wheel removal and install tool

Tcash
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results Reply with quote

Not homemade but repurposed a late model water pumper lugnut cover removal tool to use as a generator brush spring tool.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Distributor Machine Reply with quote

Distributor Machine

Popular Mechanics: Ignition tester for the garage
https://books.google.com/books?id=xt0DAAAAMBAJ&...mp;f=false
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Injector tester Reply with quote

Injector tester

aeromech wrote:
I made my own injector tester. It's been in my drawer for a couple years since I've used it but basically I used a 2 inch diameter pipe that's about 18 inches long to hold fuel and installed an air fitting on one end. The compressed air provides to fuel pressure for the injector so I don't need an electric pump. I use a 6 volt battery like your kid has in his toy ride around jeep to power the injector. I hook up a clear tygon tube from the fuel reservoir other end and connect that to the injector. Once the pressure is applied and everything connected I touch the injector wires to the battery. This energizes the injector and the fuel sprays into a glass jar with a hole in the lid just big enough for the end of the injector to fit. I can check the spray pattern and flow just by looking through the jar. I bought an injector electrical connector and it has long wires which are what I touch to the battery. A word of caution is needed. Sparks and fuel vapor can be bad. Please don't blow yourself up.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results Reply with quote

That repurposed hub cap tool is awesome
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Tire dunk tank Reply with quote

Tire Dunk Tank, flip the tire cover over and fill it with water.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Brake drum puller Reply with quote

Brake drum puller
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results Reply with quote

Years back when i was doing a lot of dual Dellorto and Weber work I made this stand to mount the carbs on when calibrating the accelerator pump volume and it worked fine, I also made an adapter plate for PICT- 34 carbs. The bottle hanging on the rod with hose attached was the fuel supply when calibrating the accelerator pump. now it just takes up space until I find another use.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Panel clip transfer tool Reply with quote

Panel clip transfer tool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8585498#8585498
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Steering Box Adapter for Steering Worm 758/1 Reply with quote

I picked up a very nice steering box some years back at a swap meet. It's been one of those "meaning to get to" things for awhile now. I'm gearing up to do the ball joints on my camper so I figured it's a good time to do the steering box too.

As long as I've had this spare steering box I have wanted to make a VW 758/1 tool to service it with. I got around to that too.

With an old errant 3\8 drive 1\2 inch impact socket that has been rattling around in my toolbox since forever. And a drilled piece of flat stock steel, I got this together. I found a steering flange to go with it too.

I have always wanted to go through one of these early Baywindow steering boxes. I also now have a proper inch pound torque wench too, so the homemade 758/1 should be very handy.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Cylinder Haead Exhaust Stud Drill Jig Reply with quote

Cylinder Haead Exhaust Stud Drill Jig

1975 Kombi wrote:
I have made a guide/sleeve to place inside the exhaust flange to aid in drilling the new hole to be tapped and a new std M8 X 1.25 X 51.5mm stud installed. The drill bit size for a std M8 X 1.25 tap is 17/64.

The only thing I have noticed is that the #3 exhaust flange does not look like it is aligned perfect with the exhaust port. It is hard to see in the pic but it looks like I need to separate the #3 and #4 flanges slightly to align the pipes with the port opening better.

What's the best way to separate the pipes??
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Single port intake manifold 10mm obstruction wrench Reply with quote

Great ideas in this thread, thanks everybody. I’ll add one.

Nothing mind blowing but one night I dedicated an hour to craft this single port intake manifold nut wrench. I just didn’t have anything I could get in there with so I cut my wrench’s closed end off and thinned it out on my bench grinder and welded it back on a little offset. Works so good I have to be careful now not to pull out the stud in the head.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Pilot bearing puller Type 4 flywheel main seal press Reply with quote

A couple of home made type 4 engine specific tools.

1. A pilot needle bearing removal tool, I made it out of a 6" length of cheap 7/16" bar stock. Some grinding with bench grinder and angle grinder....a little drilling and a set screw and a bolt. It screws onto my slide hammer Works really well.

The tool

Taken apart. I used two lengths of rod and split both with the angle grinder and then ground them smooth

This is how it grabs the bearing

Just tighten the set screw to spread the tool until its tight...then hook it to the slide hammer. Two quick, light bumps and it popped right out.

2. A flywheel seal installation tool. I used a couple of pieces of 4" wide 1/4" thick plate from home depot. It is three parts...the seal driver plate with the cage of bolts around it to give room from the crank when the seal pushed in....the backing/bolt holder plate that bolts to the end of the crank.....and the driver plate that uses those five bolt heads as a back stop.

Between the steel plates, a bi-metal hole saw, the 8mm cage bolts and the big 14mm thread driver bolt...and a drill and tap I did not have...I think I have about $30 in it.

The driver connected and in place...just a stack up for the picture

The main driver plate back stopped by the five bolt heads installed to the same depth in the crank. The only threaded hole in this drivere plate is the center hole for thew 14mm bolt that drives the pusher plate against the seal.

Close up of seal pushed in

The part on the left fits against the seal...like this

The backing plate fits into that and the bolts screw into the crank

Just another close up.

It works very well. A little fiddly holding it all up to get the bolts threaded in. It weights about 5 lbs... Laughing I get the seal up there loosely, fit the bolts and screw them all in with the pusher bolt out....then stick the seal in flat and screw in teh center bolt until you feel tension...make sure its centered...it has a slight amount of play...then crank it home.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results FAQ Reply with quote

The main seal flies straight into the hole when it sees this coming!

That is a work of ingenuity Ray. Good job.
Tcash
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks! Surprising easy to build. I only welded that top plate on to have deeper thread. I did not have any 1/2" plate.

That hole saw was about,$12 and on a drill press will cut 1/2" plate. If you want I csn post the simple plans for it.
Ray
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "homemade" tools??...photo results FAQ Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Thanks! Surprising easy to build. I only welded that top plate on to have deeper thread. I did not have any 1/2" plate.

That hole saw was about,$12 and on a drill press will cut 1/2" plate. If you want I csn post the simple plans for it.
Ray

If you would like to that would be great.
Thank you
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: