Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axle camber changes
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Swing axle camber changes Reply with quote

It it easy to find resources that indicate 1 outer spline lowers the back of the Beetle is about 2.25 inches. As the suspension moves on a swing axle Bug the camber changes in a predictable way, so how much does the camber change per spline?

Right now my buggy unloaded has +6 degrees rear camber. I am trying to figure out how much that would change if I lowered 1 spline. I would rather set rear ride height by axle angle than ride height. I'm pretty sure the angle change of the spring plate (8.18 degree per outer spline) is different than the axle tubes because the effective axle tube length is longer than the spring plate. I would like to keep just a little positive camber to oil the outboard bearing. Thanks
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized I could kinda answer my own question with a couple of old Optima batteries. By putting them down in the back of the back seat and rolling the car out of the garage and back in to the same spot I could compare before and after ride height and before and after camber.

The 80 pounds lowered the rear of the car 3/8 inch. It reduced the camber by 0.9 degrees as best I could measure. So, the camber change seems to be about 2/3rd the change in the spring plate angle.
VolkswagenGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitly test with weight of motor in the buggy...
I set my torsion bars/spring plates with my heavy frind hanging on the back thinking it would get me close.. (neglected to roll car forward and back)
I had the wheels flat (how I wanted them) installed motor and low and behold sank a good 2" / \
Gotta do it again Sad
Just ordered adjustable spring plates for round two...
Ah the fun of a build...
manxcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that on my buggy, glass SWB body, soft top, 1600 DP engine that a 12.5 degree setting of the swing arms equaled zero degrees (axles level with the ground) with no one on board.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: