Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailing Arms Wear
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeRrO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Trailing Arms Wear Reply with quote

Gday Folks

I have a 62' Aussie Built Panel. Very Happy I am currently going through the front end, will be doing a few of the usual mods.

It has one of the older style bushing beams. The trailing arms dont have the pressed on sleeve.

Anyway the trailing arms show some degree of wear, where they run in the bushings. Pretty much only on the top side though. My question is what are some of the methods people have used to fix this wear.

Iv had a bit of a search but didnt come across to much, probably missed it, or searched the worng thing Rolling Eyes so sorry if this has been covered comprehensively

Cheers in adavance all

Joel
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced trailing arms that are very worn.
If the arms are worn, tends to be the bushings are very worn.
Finding NOS bushings and the tool to ream them in place is difficult.

if you turn down the old trailing arms slightly, and ream the new bushes to fit, there you are.
Installing and reaming bushes is a big job.

old bush removed from my 56 westy, it has exteme wear:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOS bush installed:

factory tool for reaming the bushes:

tool to push out old bushes:
DeRrO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for the info! Not sure where ill get a ream like that to do the job... does it have to be a VW specific tool? Perth is almost like a back water for this sort of thing, though ill ask the VW crew around here whats available... should be good for a laugh anyway Laughing

Today I removed the bushings with no drama's at all. Quite easy actually, made an oval tool, like the one in the picture above, and just whacked them out with a rod from the other end.

They are worn but no where near to the extent of the above, and I re-examined the trailing arms and im fairly certain they are reusable.

Could be a dumb question but ill shoot anyway. The wear on the arms is only on one side ie however minor or major it being, the upper surface that contact the bushing.... Can you swap the trailing arms from front lower right, and instead install the front lower left upside down?.... and the same with the top arms as well? Confused

Another question has any one used needle bearings that match the dimension of the stock bushings? from the like of SKM, FAG etc.....

Cheer in advance folks!

Joel
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arms Wear Reply with quote

I have the same question. Can you swap the upper trailing arms from side to side? The parts manual has only one part number listed for upper trailing arm but mine are different.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arms Wear Reply with quote

I’ve seen a few threads like this lately. I’m wondering if there would be interest in creating a fixture for chucking used trailing arms in a lathe and doing a ‘grind-plate-grind’ process to bring dimensions back to nominal? Besides fixturing, you’d have to remove lower trailing arm shock mount and replace it. Uppers would be easy enough. Probably just have to counterweight the fixture to keep it balanced in the lathe. Biggest problem would probably be batch sizes. I doubt it would be economical <100pcs per batch.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arms Wear Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I have the same question. Can you swap the upper trailing arms from side to side? The parts manual has only one part number listed for upper trailing arm but mine are different.

Yes - they are the same left and right.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arms Wear Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

Yes - they are the same left and right.

thanks. I read in one of the manuals that they can be swapped side to side if they have just minor wear. I'm doing just that. They are within spec. i just thought it was odd that they had different numbers stamped on them per each side.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: