Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting Rod Frozen to Crankshaft
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Connecting Rod Frozen to Crankshaft Reply with quote

Greetings Samba friends,

Knowing that the engine in my 76 Westy was on its way out, I acquired a solid Type IV short block a couple of months back and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. I finally got around to splitting the case so I could bring it into the machinist for inspection (as my current motor is on its final legs). Unfortunately, while trying to remove the pistons before splitting the case, I discovered that the number 2 connecting rod is frozen in its current orientation on the crankshaft. So I can't rotate the crank and get access to the wrist pins on the remaining two pistons. I went ahead and got as far as I could, but now those pistons need to come off before I can split the case any more than the couple inches I have it now.

The machinist said he could likely solve the issue, but that comes with a price tag so I'd really like to solve this at home. Anyone have a suggestion for getting those pistons off?

Must get some sleep before tackling this project again in the morning, but I'll try to respond to any inquiries or responses then. Thanks to all!

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
9th Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the opposite piston off you may be able to remove #2's rod nuts and that may allow you to remove the whole rod if it's not too stuck.
I would bolt the case halves together and try to keep the flywheel from turning and exert some lateral force on the offending rod end (smack it with a hammer) to try to get it to bust loose.
good luck!
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see why it's stuck? Maybe there is something in there that you can remove.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, the crank is in such a position that both wrist pins for #2 and #4 are hidden inside the case. I've tried whacking it with a hammer, but perhaps too timidly. Fear of shrapnel has held me back, I suppose. I'll give that another go and see what happens.

I'm going to see about removing the #1 and #3 connecting rods and get a better look so see what's binding it, but at the moment, I can't tell.

9th Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the case halves together and slip the cylinders back on 2 & 4 you could try rotating the flywheel via the big nut, pull the rings if that helps install the cylinders.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your best to find a creative solution.

If all else fails you may have to saw the pistons to bits so you can get to the pins. Woodworking stuff like hole saws, sawsall, do work well on aluminum.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was able to remove the #1 and #3 connecting rods, but any hope I had that this might give me greater access or visibility was quickly dashed.

More hammer whacks didn't dislodge the #2 connecting rod either. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the notion of hacking through the piston, but will maybe do so tomorrow afternoon when I have some more time. I'm unsure that this will be profitable regardless as the position of the wrist pin is pretty deep in the case. Even with the piston out of the way, I'm not certain I could get a good angle to remove the circlips.

Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe rotate the crank to middle position (in respect to the two stuck positions) and give the case a shake??? Maybe you can dislodge whatever is lodged!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to imply it is easy.
Much rather carve it out than resort to the cutting torch IMO Shocked
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea What I have done on a similiar situation was to remove all the case nuts to separate the case as much as the crank would allow.

Using a wrench or socket on the rod nuts from the top or bottom.

Helps to have engine on a rotating stand.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: