Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

Bought a Slave Cylinder for my '88 Westy a few months ago new from Bus Depot. Pulled the old leaky one out this morning. Comparing new to old, the shafts are different diameters and lengths.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The old shaft is on the left. The new shaft has no receiver for the actuator rod.

I tried to call Bus Depot: they're closed 'til after New Year's while they relocate.

Any input is appreciated.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

Ran into this last week while replacing my clutch slave cylinder. I reused the old longer plunger. Seems to work fine.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

(thumbs up)
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

This might be to compensate for different slave piston diameters and therefore different travel distance. Ask me how I know...
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

Jeff at AutoVentures fixed this for me.
He placed a spare small socket head on the rod before installing. This brought the length to stock. It worked.
Ultimately, I took it out and replaced with a different one from my parts collection.
Good luck.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

The left is the FTE type one, the right is the ATE type one.
Aftermarket cylinders are usually copies of the ATE version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

Ironically I am swapping out my slave cylinder today on my 82 diesel Westy. What is the difference between FTE and ATE? Do they require different fluids? I seem to have some sort of leak with my slave cylinder every four years or so and was wondering if the fluid I am using is not compatible with the seals in the cylinder.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

patrickgreen wrote:
Ironically I am swapping out my slave cylinder today on my 82 diesel Westy. What is the difference between FTE and ATE? Do they require different fluids? I seem to have some sort of leak with my slave cylinder every four years or so and was wondering if the fluid I am using is not compatible with the seals in the cylinder.

They are just different OEM manufacturers who designed different cylinders.
The working dimensions of the whole assemblies are identical.
One has a shorter piston and longer rod while the other vice versa.
It is OK to use either of them. Just be careful not to mismatch the components.

The rubber parts of the new aftermarket parts are crap they harden within a few years.
The aftermarket cylinders are identical - whichever brand you buy - to the point you can assume they are made in the same (chinese) factory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

Thank you for that useful information.
Taking the old cylinder off of course I broke the hydraulic line going right into the slave cylinder. Looking for replacements I see that there are after-market rubber ones for other vehicles. Are there any better solutions to the stock setup?
Not that that one is rocket science material. Would be happy with a stock replacement if I can source that. Back to internet searching.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

patrickgreen wrote:
Thank you for that useful information.
Taking the old cylinder off of course I broke the hydraulic line going right into the slave cylinder. Looking for replacements I see that there are after-market rubber ones for other vehicles. Are there any better solutions to the stock setup?
Not that that one is rocket science material. Would be happy with a stock replacement if I can source that. Back to internet searching.

Early vans had a metal line with a rubber hose at the gearbox mount to allow some movement. Later it was changed to the plastic pipe. Probably to reduce costs (and the steel lines were rusting)

Probably a cunifer line and some off the self brake hose would be a good and cheap enough solution.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Bought a Slave Cylinder for my '88 Westy a few months ago new from Bus Depot. Pulled the old leaky one out this morning. Comparing new to old, the shafts are different diameters and lengths.

The old shaft is on the left. The new shaft has no receiver for the actuator rod.

I tried to call Bus Depot: they're closed 'til after New Year's while they relocate.

Any input is appreciated.

Dan

This just happened to me too! What's going on over there?
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

Twiddlin' my thumbs 'til next year.

Dan
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Shafts - They're Different Reply with quote

I had some clutch issues a few months ago in El Salvador stuck on a beach with my van. Pilot bushing for the input shaft was at fault ( a custom made part that turned out to be a downgrade Mad )
I was playing with slave cylinders.
Like mentioned above, original VW slaves made by FTE or ATE differ by pistons and rod pairing from the aftermarket.
I tried a longer rod to gain more travel, it doesn't matter, as you just compress the cylinder inside the slave while static, the travel remains the same, given by the master cylinder.
It is worth noting the arm on the bellhousing is clocked differently between gasser and diesel. I have a gasser arm on a diesel bellhousing, and indeed it doesn't change anything, you just work the slave more on the last part of the travel of the piston rather than the early part of the travel. Still works, at least for me ( single mass flywheel and clutch, and I later switched to dual mass flywheel and clutch).

It is worth noting the Topran brand slave cylinder is not threaded deep enough to accomodate the Syncro factory banjo, the seal washers don't get crushed enough and it pisses like a sieve. I had to cut the banjo bolt with a Dremel on the beach.... Rolling Eyes
Syncro banjo bolt in Topran clutch slave cylinder

Same in FTE slave cylinder

I annealed the crush washers and rubbed them on a file. I was going nuts bc it kept pissing fluid just sitting there! It took me a few times to understand...

Then I cut the bolt

FTE rod vs Topran rod. Don't mix parts and you'll be fine. In my case I tried mixing them, it was still fine Laughing

35 years old ATE factory rubber cap vs cheap chinese rubber cap from Topran

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: